Menu

Not sure if this is the right board to post

Kids that age need the concreteness that manipulatives provide, and the fingers are easy to manipulate! I was still counting on mine for a few addition facts in college calulus (like 7+5, 8+4)...I made a "B" anyway. :tongue_smilie:

Some feel that it is a "bad habit," and if you think that way, you could provide a different manipulative like pennies, or you can purchase manipulatives. I like the Right Start abacus, and it's the only manipulative any of my dc would touch (exept their fingers, of course).

It's why I like Cuisenaire Rods and Miquon, because it helps children "conserve values" without counting. It's "normal" to count. Many methods encourage it, directly or indirectly, but it's a tendency I wanted to nip from the beginning. And it's worked.

That said, it is hardly unusual.

Bill

I tried giving my dd all kinds of manipulatives--pennies, abacus, etc.--and she still likes to use her fingers. And for 11, she will use her nose, placing her fingers in a diamond around it. And then she will ask me if she can use my fingers when we get past 11. It is completely normal at this age.

The goal is to have her visualizing in her head. Imagine children going through three stages: physically touching and seeing math through objects (or fingers,) seeing math via objects in the head, and then moving on to knowing the math. If they are still in the finger counting mode, I prefer to hold off on formal addition. I'm all for early learners, don't get me wrong. But I've found through using different methods with my kids through the years that when I've given them formal math while still in the counting mode, they took a lot longer to get through things. When I work on games and 'setting the table'-type questions for a couple months, they quickly catch up and even skip ahead.

It cracks me up that preschool workbooks focus on writing the numbers more than anything else. A child of 4 can do quite a bit of math long before her fingers are capable of writing neatly.

To help them "see" math, start with games like Candy Land and Sorry, counting each move. I set up a math corner for my girls to sort colored beads and such. A simple activity that would bore me to tears but that they seem to like is to match popcorn kernels to numbers written on cards. I have it set up two ways:

#1. I glued 1 kernel to an index card, 2 kernels to another card, 3 to another, and so on up to ten. Next, I wrote numbers on index cards cut in half - 0 thru 10. I set out the popcorn cards in random order and have the girls match the numerals to the kernels. This could be done with buttons or any old thing.

#2. Next I have blank cards that I set out and I place the numeral cards above them, first in consecutive order and then random. The girls take a bowl of popcorn kernels and place the correct number of kernels on the blank cards under the numeral cards, matching them up.

But the simplest, yet most effect math tool for any of my kids has been setting the table. How many of us are eating? Can you get that many forks? What if Grandma and Grandpa joined us? Then how many forks? What if Daddy had to work late? Then how many forks? And so on. Five minute math lesson that has them visualizing numbers in their head within just a couple weeks.

When they can do that without counting family members or forks, then I KNOW we're ready for the books. In fact, I just ordered R&S 1 workbooks for my 4 and 6 year old. They are both at the same level mathematically, for the moment. I won't push too hard.

I would agree, from everything I've researched that Rightstart is an excellent program for visualizing math. It's over my price-range and I already had so much material for R&S from an older borther or I'd be going that route.