Menu

starting to HS

MeganW

Hi, I just stumbled upon your website, and have spent my entire afternoon reading!

I have triplets who will be 5 in April. Due to being born prematurely, they are not ready to go to kindergarten in the fall. They are just a little behind their peers across the board - motor skills, cognitively, socially, etc. My first choice would be to have them do K5 twice, but the public school will not retain any child who does not FAIL. And since they don't grade in K5 or 1st grade, it is not possible to hold a child back before the second grade.

I am now investigating the possibilities of homeschooling. There are SOOO many more options that I ever dreamed possible! Every curriculum website I read seems amazing!

Can somebody please just tell me what to order so I can just do it and be done? :) Not really, I want to investigate, but can somebody give me a short run-down of the reputations of each of the major players in the market? I keep going to review websites and they have like 400 options for each thing. How in the world do you pick??

I should mention that my kids are a touch behind with everything. They aren't writing their names legibly yet, aren't reading at all yet (they know all the letters & sounds but don't understand the concept of letters going together to make words, etc.). They progress at the same rate as typical kids, but have just never caught up from the first year so they are maybe 6-12ish months behind in every area.

I think I'd start with readings for you to see what style resonates with you.

Be thinking about where you want them to be at the end of their high school. ( you don't have to KNOW,, just kinda think about what's important to you. )

I'd go to the Library and get:

Well Trained Mind.... Classical

Some books by, oh shoot, everybody, who's the unschooling guy..??

Charlotte Mason

Maria Montesorri

my man just got back with gorceries, gotta go.

cheers,

~c.

Well, I'm definitely not the expert on this board, but I can guess what the experts would say : ) They're PreK age, so really all you need to do is relax, read lots of books to them, and enjoy them! Meanwhile, do research on methods of homeschooling; there's lots of different ways to approach teaching your own children. Some of the methods are Charlotte Mason, Thomas Jefferson, Classical, Latin-Centered... maybe others will chime in and help you out in that department. I would recommend you go ahead and purchase The Well-Trained Mind. It is like the bible of homeschooling and is helpful no matter what method you choose. It is an excellent starting point in understanding what to do and what is out there. Best of Luck!!!

Your first act should be to check the laws in your state. In many places kindergarten isn't even compulsory. (It isn't in my state.) That can give you lots of room to experiment without worrying about records and all that.

Everybody has their own favorites. We use Explode the Code for phonics, and I didn't even worry about handwriting outside of that for kindergarten. You can start with the ABC primers for an easy start, if you want the handwriting practice, or start with book 1 if you want to start with short vowel words. The Leapfrog videos are also pretty popular with the kids. www.starfall.com has fun free phonics and reading games.

We like Horizons for math, mostly because it is spiral, which means there's a lot of variety on each page and it keeps my kids' interest. If the writing turns out to be too much, let them dictate, or skip over parts they already know. (That's actually good advice for any program. Tweak to fit your children's needs.)

Other than that, for kindergarten, we use (and still use) Five in a Row, because they are picture book unit studies ... lots of fun and gentle learning. Good for when you're teaching more than one child, too! You buy the manual/guide, and either buy books on your own or check them out from your library, depending on your preferences. They cover all sorts of good stuff like Madeline, and Mike Mulligan, and Ping, and so on. Science, geography, and all the other subjects get discussed based around each book.

You'll probably get lots of other answers, but that's what worked for us, anyway.

Have fun! Kindergarten is a blast.

I would say read the Well Trained Mind (or check it out from the library) and see what you think. The other must read book if you are trying to decide if you should HS or not is Family Matters by David Guterson

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Matters-Homeschooling-Makes-Sense/dp/0156300001/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262564740&sr=1-4

It was really the only book my dh had to read to decide this is what we needed to be doing!

Good luck! There is SO much information out there!

Hi, I just stumbled upon your website, and have spent my entire afternoon reading!

I have triplets who will be 5 in April. Due to being born prematurely, they are not ready to go to kindergarten in the fall. They are just a little behind their peers across the board - motor skills, cognitively, socially, etc. My first choice would be to have them do K5 twice, but the public school will not retain any child who does not FAIL. And since they don't grade in K5 or 1st grade, it is not possible to hold a child back before the second grade.

I am now investigating the possibilities of homeschooling. There are SOOO many more options that I ever dreamed possible! Every curriculum website I read seems amazing!

Can somebody please just tell me what to order so I can just do it and be done? :) Not really, I want to investigate, but can somebody give me a short run-down of the reputations of each of the major players in the market? I keep going to review websites and they have like 400 options for each thing. How in the world do you pick??

I should mention that my kids are a touch behind with everything. They aren't writing their names legibly yet, aren't reading at all yet (they know all the letters & sounds but don't understand the concept of letters going together to make words, etc.). They progress at the same rate as typical kids, but have just never caught up from the first year so they are maybe 6-12ish months behind in every area.

If you just want to do something now, I would get something like Sonlight P 3/4, or Sonlight P 4/5 (just the core), Winter Promise K, or something else with tons of literature. I love Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading, and maybe something like Slow and Steady Get Me Ready. ( some of these will have handwriting, some you may want to add handwriting too )

I have had 3 premies, one who was a bit behind. We always to tons of reading, and interest led projects. Hands on math, science, etc.

I know some dislike them, but I love Leap Frog DVD's ( they teach everything from letters, to letter sounds, to blending, etc. I have tons of Leap Frog things in my house.

I 2nd Cathy Duffy's book. That helped me get a feel for the kinds of stuff that was out there. It also helped me narrow down what I didn't want.

The Well Trained Mind is great for getting started, and trying to figure out where to go after you have started.

I wouldn't worry about them being a little behind. They are working at their own pace as every child does.

If you have any questions as you go down the road just ask/search the Hive!

Edited by Osaubi

Yes, definitely check your state laws. In IN, for example, I don't *have* to start schooling until the school year my child would turn 7. So, that would give you a year to be quite relaxed, if you think that is what is best for your kiddos. Take the time to look at some of the homeschooling overview books, to know what kind of education you're interested in, and work from there. Even if you *have* to do school this coming year, you can probably do it in a very relaxed way (depending on your state). And, welcome to the board :001_smile:

Hi, we are in the middle of Kindergarten right now. I blogged about how I found what we are using. http://myfamilyiseternal.blogspot.com/2009/10/finding-my-first-curriculum-or-scary.html

And here is our curriculum for this year. http://myfamilyiseternal.blogspot.com/2009/10/view-of-our-first-year.html

We have made a few changes since then, but it was a good start. I have eliminated phonics, because her reading level is gaining faster than the phonics curriculum, and it was too much writing for her. I am changing the spelling to oral exercises only. And I am doing copywork for handwriting. Social studies has become much more child-led than I originally anticipated, so we are doing a lot of unit studies there.

Best of luck!

I like Cathy Duffy's books for an overview of the different hs'ing styles, information on learning styles, and curriculum reviews. It helped me to narrow down my philosophy and what would work for my dc.

HTH!

:iagree:

This book saved us a lot of headache and money!!

If you just want to do something now, I would get something like Sonlight P 3/4, or Sonlight P 4/5 (just the core), Winter Promise K, or something else with tons of literature. I love Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading, and maybe something like Slow and Steady Get Me Ready. ( some of these will have handwriting, some you may want to add handwriting too )

I know some dislike them, but I love Leap Frog DVD's ( they teach everything from letters, to letter sounds, to blending, etc. I have tons of Leap Frog things in my house.

:iagree:The great thing about Pre-K is that nothing is required...except reading great children's literature ;). Sonlight's P3/4 would be perfect for your three. In fact, I'm doing it with my 3 and 5yos this spring since my 5yo will be finished with Kindergarten and I'm not ready to start our 1st grade program yet. Winter Promise and My Father's World have similar programs.

The Leapfrog DVDs are great for gentle reading readiness with no pressure. This would be a great year just to get them accustomed to you as a teacher and practice listening to read-alouds.

It will also be a good year for you to learn more about homeschooling. I found so many of the already recommended resources at our public library. Cathy Duffy's book was the best resource for me. Another helpful thing I was able to do was attend a homeschool conference. I didn't buy anything (my oldest was only 3), but it was nice to talk to people and see curriculum up close. I haven't needed to go to one since.

I suggest reading Ruth Beechick (sp?) "The Three R's" to get you started. I really like her approach to K-3 homeschooling. Her approach is very gentle and developmentally appropriate.

I'd focus on doing lots of read-alouds (check out Sonlight P3/4, Before Five in a Row and/or Peak with Books).

Some other stuff I love that might work well with your children:

The Handbook of Nature Study You all could start making weekly treks around a park with a magnifying glass. (This book is available for free at google books, too.)

Montessori Read & Write: A Parent's Guide to Literacy for Children - There are a lot of hands-on activities that will help your DC's fine motor skills.

Starfall Speedway "This is more than a simple board game. It contains 2 complete games, which can easily be tailored to your child's reading or pre-reading level. Beginning readers can learn their ABCs driving on Starfall Alphabet Avenue, and learn to read short-vowel words and high-frequency words while racing on the Starfall Speedway. Children start with letter names and sounds, and then progress to reading words, producing rhymes, or using words in simple sentences. Both games easily grow with your child's expanding literacy skills, and foster a love of reading that lasts a lifetime. You will be amazed that learning to read can be so much fun!"

My kids are just a little older than yours and I'm learning (the hard way) the value of just relaxing. They're still so little. There is PLENTY of time for them to start formal studies... later. (Preaching to myself, here). Have fun. :)

I am just chiming in to reinforce the "read more first" advice. Yours are so young that your time is best spent planning and learning right now, (I know--it is way more fun just to jump in, and order stuff!!) Spend a few weeks at least learning about different styles and philosophys. Hang out here and do searches for whatever topics pique your interest, ask questions (the folks here are really wonderful and have helped me immensely) and you will find certain names popping up over and over again, from curriculum sellers to the books themselves (Make sure to check out the abbreviation sticky at the top of the forum!)

Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling was a great help to me.

Read books by John Holt, The Well Trained Mind, books by and about Charlotte Mason (Karen Andreola and Catherine Levinson are two good CM authors), Cathy Duffy, and all the others mentioned by previous posters. (Oh, books by the Moores,( Dorothy and Raymond,) oh and the Bluedorns)

Sigh. Sorry. :tongue_smilie:

What you'll find is that as you read you'll encounter the same names and programs/curricula again and again.

Congratulations! Welcome! I hope you like it here!

I agree with most of what the others have said. I definitely recommend the WTM book, and Cathy's Duffy's. She also has a website that has reviews of lots of other curricula. Unit studies are great for Pre-K and K (and since you said they are 6-12 months behind, I'd start them out with Pre-K stuff). We used Five in a Row last year, which was nice, since it used a lot of children's books I wouldn't have thought to use without it. As a bonus, it can be adapted, so if your children are ready to advance to kindergarten work in December, you can do it without having to go out and buy an entirely new curriculum (which made my wallet and DH happy :D), and if not, it's made to be used for ages up to 8, so you can read the same books but do more challenging activities for kindergarten, if you like.

If I were to start over, I would either go with something like Oak Meadow's preschool program or:

Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 2

Developing the Early Learner Workbooks

Ruff’s Pre-Writing Flip & Draw Book

LeapFrog Talking Letter/Talking Word Factory DVDs

Five in a Row or Sonlight P4/5

That's just me though. I wouldn't do what I actually did, which was Calvert's Pre-K. It was too expensive for what I received.

I started out with Accelerated Acheivement. I wholeheartedly recommend it and will do it again. It is mostly games for K and Emily was done with it by the time she was 3 and a half, so it may work for you.

You might want to look at Winterpromise and Sonlight for their pre K packages. Sonlight has wonderful books and Winterpromise has all of the typical pre K crafty things that will get them ready. I will be choosing some of those for DS when he gets there as well.

Welcome to the boards Megan!

As a bonus, it can be adapted, so if your children are ready to advance to kindergarten work in December, you can do it without having to go out and buy an entirely new curriculum (which made my wallet and DH happy :D), and if not, it's made to be used for ages up to 8, so you can read the same books but do more challenging activities for kindergarten, if you like.

As I read this it reminded me of the most important thing I've learned on this board. When homeschooling you don't have to start a grade in September and finish it in June. I suppose it should have been obvious to me, but that public-school mindset can be hard to shake. It's a little more challenging to work where your children are and move on when they're ready, but it's wonderful, too.

Happy reading!

Instead, begin by reading and reading and reading about homeschooling in general. Take notes of what you read, so you can come back to it later and see how much you've processed. Learn about (a) the various "types" of homeschooling; (b) the histories of public and home education; © the ways in which educational philosophies shape the way we "do school" (or not!); (d) learning/teaching styles; and finally (e) the resources available to home educators (materials, curriculum guides, support groups, etc.)

Take this time to really study, to write down your thoughts, to formulate your beginning ideas about how you'd like to teach your children -- and why you want to do it this way.

Some possibilities for your reading:

These are just some ideas for your inital reading/research phase -- take about 6 months to immerse yourself in this new world of home education. Check out what your local library has to offer, ask your librarians to point you to resources (not necessarily "homeschool" stuff) that parents can use to teach their children, and sign everyone up for library cards! :D

All this time will be well spent, IMO. As you do this, your children will still be learning, growing, and maturing. Instead of a curriculum (at this point), why not simply read aloud to them? Involve them in your daily routine, play with toys, games, play dough, blocks, etc. If they are young (and really more like 4/4.5 year olds), you have plenty of time before you need to get into academics. Music, messy art, cooking, chores, naps, play times, park days, lots of snuggly reading -- these are enough "curriculum" for now, IMO.

HTH! Welcome aboard!

One of my sisters was born VERY premature, so I know exactly what you mean. It was probably 4th grade before she was "caught up with her class". The school actually tried to fail her several times. My parents ended up putting her in a private school with very small classes (and that helped her a lot). She just graduated last week from nursing school with her BSN, so...:auto: Woohoo!

If you are looking for something easy-going, have you seen Oak Meadow (would be cheap with 3 5 year-olds)? One of my kids fits into the OM mold. :tongue_smilie: Also, Sonlight P3/4 now would be a lot of fun (like someone else suggested). We're always a little Charlotte Mason-y, so I like Winterpromise also.

Also, make sure you read the WTM. :D

I always say "go light" and take it easy, but I'm all talk. As you can see from my signature, my poor children are being tortured to the bone. (evil laugh-he he he) And there are things we do that wouldn't even fit on my signature line (another evil laugh - he he he). 2nd grader already has a PhD in Cursive Handwriting and Pronouns. :tongue_smilie: