Menu

Historical fiction suggestions for high school girl?

Well, if CC is ok, you could try the Mark of The Lion series. It's not Austen, but it's pretty good. Story set in 1st Cent. AD.

I liked Indian Captive, the story of Mary Jemison. It's rather heartbreaking, but gives a great picture of the captive experience without denigrating the Native Americans (Senecas, in this case). It would be an easy read, level-wise, but content is rather intense in places. It's not totally fiction, but fictionalized.

You can always check the Sonlight lists--

The Ramsay Scallop

Parcel of Patterns (about the late plague in England--based on a true story)

Shining Company (Roman legion, I think)

My Antonia (high school)

Cry, The Beloved Country (S. Africa--high school)

Writers like Scott O'Dell and Sharon Creech--

I'll never forget my children's lit prof reading the first chapter of Sing Down The Moon to us as a class--beautiful language, imagery, emotion--

That's all I got for now, dearie!

I have a high opinion of the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers.

Also, Brock and Bodie Thoene are good historical fiction writers. Their editor is a dear friend of mine. They, Brock especially, research their books exhaustively and pay close attention to accurate detail. They are definitely more than hack writers--I have enjoyed their WWII series a great deal.

Another good author to look for is Michael Phillips.

What time period is she looking for?

Anything, Jenny. She's reading Sphinx's Princess by Esther Friesner right now and she's raving that it's one of the best books she's ever read. The author has written two more about Helen of Troy, so those will be next on her list.

astrid

My favorites are probably too easy, level-wise, but I still re-read them every year or two: Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, by Jean Lee Latham, and Witch of Blackbird Pond.

For a maturer person, I recommend Mary Renault's novels set in ancient Greece. They are excellent--of these, my favorite is The Last of the Wine, about the Peloponesian (sp??) War. It's heavily based on Thucydides. The reason that I stipulate that they're for a mature reader is that there is a fair amount of content having to do with the main characters as male lovers. There is nothing graphic, but it's a major theme. Obviously, I don't know if this is something your daughter is ready for or not. :)

I can't think of anything else right now. If I get inspired, I'll be back. :D

The content in this is very depressing and raw, but I've yet to meet a teen who hasn't liked it. What about Night by Elie Weisel? It's not fiction, but it reads like a novel. I used to teach it in 8th grade Language Arts.

Edited by jenL
spelling error

Anything, Jenny. She's reading Sphinx's Princess by Esther Friesner right now and she's raving that it's one of the best books she's ever read. The author has written two more about Helen of Troy, so those will be next on her list.

astrid

Let's see... Mac has liked Duchessina by Carolyn Meyer, Memoirs of Cleopatra by Maragret George, Georgiana by Amanda Foreman, Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson, A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly, Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (all of his are wonderful, but not all historical), The Help by Kathryn Stockett Page, and The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradle (though it's more a mystery but set in 1950). That should be a few for ya. :D

http://www.webrary.org/rs/bibhistfict.html

http://teenlink.nypl.org/history.cfm

Not sure what age or maturity level you're after. Some books which have been among my daughter's favorites may have content to which others may be opposed.

I haven't seen The Chosen on either of the lists above (haven't dug too deep either), but we liked it. We've also enjoyed the Crispin series and Number the Stars. The Other Boleyn Girl was good but has mature themes as does Girl with the Pearl Earring.

Some teens might like:

Matilda Bone (Medieval England) Karen Cushman

The Midwife's Apprentice (Medieval England) Karen Cushman

Fever 1793 ( Early America) Laurie Anderson

Witch Child (Puritan colonies) Celia Rees

Cecile Gates of Gold (1711 Versailles)

The Burning Time (Salem) Kathyrn Lasky

These are all 'safe' books, and no prereading required for 99.99% of WTMinders. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

I wondered this as well.

I enjoy Philippa Gregory, but I am thinking there might be too much of the sexing going on. lol Absolutely rated R or more. My teens hasnt read them, fwiw.

I also wonder about Year of Wonders (Medieval England) by Geraldine Brooks. My teen dd liked that one, but perhaps a proof read is in order. (Not even close to as racy as Gregory!)

There are also the very kid-friendly Princess Diary books by Scholastic.

Not sure what age or maturity level you're after. Some books which have been among my daughter's favorites may have content to which others may be opposed.

The Other Boleyn Girl was good but has mature themes as does Girl with the Pearl Earring.

Edited by LibraryLover

Just remembered! I, Claudius and Claudius the God by Robert Graves are also among my faves for historical fiction--they really make imperial Rome come alive, and are pretty accurate. He did tons of research. We listened to the audio books in the car, and even my littlers paid attention. There were a couple of passages I skipped through because of their ages, but my older daughters could have handled it fine. I just didn't want to get into everything with my (then) 4 and 6 year-olds.

Dear Eliana!! Thanks so much for taking the time to compile such a great list! I've printed it out and it's in my purse; ready to take in hand to the library tomorrow! Such wonderful titles!

Really, I can't thank you enough!

astrid :001_smile: