Menu

Eliminating the smell of [someone else's] pet urine?

We recently purchased a house which had existed as a rental for some time. Woohoo for us!! :hurray:

Unfortunately, what we knew was an existing pet odor problem has turned out to be some rather disgusting areas on the living room floor where it's clear that one or more animals chose to urinate repeatedly. We've already ripped up the carpet and carpet pads, and we've purchased some enzyme concentrate which we intend to use in these areas (there are many!). Then, we expect to lay down a new hardwood (or laminate) floor. But, I have lingering concerns that OUR cats, which are strictly litter box trained, will continue to be tempted by the smell of the other wayward critter(s), and develop some bad habits.

Any experience with this and/or solutions to offer?

I have experience with this. I purchased a "Foreclosed" on house and this is what's suggested. After you rip up the carpet and pad, you paint a special paint over it. I had my whole house painted with this, on the floorboard. You just "roller" it on the floor. It's really not expensive. For the whole house it was way under $100. It keeps any smells down, and I'm sensitive to smells and such.. and no problem for me:-)

Carrie

Where we live now there was a disgusting mess of cat urine everywhere. We pulled out the carpet and pad and then sprayed the subfloor underneath with the enzyme stuff. One cabinet was so badly damaged we had to remove it!

We then put underlayment down and flooring on top of it. We have two cats and they haven't been overly interested in any of those areas and they are not spraying there.

When I had this issue in the house we bought my uncle who owns a flooring store said to put a good coat of varnish over the plywood floor before he sent the guys to put in the new carpet. I did just that and only had to do the spots where it was bad, not the clean areas of the floor. I was amazed at how after it dried there was no smell in the house at all anymore. I had no issues with my dogs after the new carpet went in, and my brother who lives there now says he's never smelled any pet odors at all. The new carpet was put in in fall 2004.

"Eliminating" ::snort::

Sorry I have no advice, Doran, but my first thought was, "Now there's something I'd never admit my body would do. We sure have gotten to know each other too well here on the boards!" :lol:

OK, I'm being really bad. I'm outta here! :auto:

"Eliminating" ::snort::

Sorry I have no advice, Doran, but my first thought was, "Now there's something I'd never admit my body would do. We sure have gotten to know each other too well here on the boards!" :lol:

OK, I'm being really bad. I'm outta here! :auto:

An appropriate word choice, nay!? :D