Menu

We are going to get a Wii

We got some family money for Christmas, and we are going to get a Wii. We played it at my best friend's house last night, and we all loved it! All they had was the sports package it comes with, and that was a blast. So what are the Wii must haves? Your favorite games and accessories? And where is the best place to get one? Walmart.com seems to have some great bundles. I am reluctant to use ebay unless someone can recommend a reliable seller.

Can't wait to read your suggestions!

We purchased a Wii for Christmas and found that we needed:

-a second controller

-a second nunchuck

We bought the sports pack - tennis racket cover, golf club, steering wheel - and found we don't like the attachments. Those are going back to the store.

We did go back and purchase the charger and rechargable batteries. The charger is $20 and well worth it. We had to replace the regular batteries within a week and decided it would be better for the environment if we went with rechargables.

We purchased Wii Resort and needed a second sleeve for the second controller; the game only came with one. The sleeve thingy (a very technical and accurate term, I know) refines the movement of the controller and is required by Resort. Resort is a great game BTW. I love slicing sushi and strawberry shortcake.

I will be reading this thread to see what the other, more experienced Wii owners say.

Must haves?

3 or 4 remotes

same number of nunchucks

Super Mario Wii (we just got this a few days ago and we are having an absolute blast playing it each evening....it causes quite an uproar between my hubby, myself, and our five year old LOL....we can get quite loud while playing it)

Carnival Games and Mario Kart (love these! We've had them for about a year now). Get two or three wheels for Mario Kart. It is MUCH easier than playing with just the remote.

We also just got the Sports Resort, and we are loving it as well.

Wii Play is similar to sports. We really like it.

Wario Smooth Moves is a blast and the whole family loves it. It is very active.

DH is totally hooked on Animal Crossing, City Folk and I have heard that a lot of kids love it. It is a very relaxing game, similar to Farmville on Facebook, but more involved and more 3-D.

Gamefly is like Netflix for games. We use it to try games out and if we like them we can just buy them and keep them.

We got ours just before Christmas.

So far we are enjoying Sports (golf & bowling), Smash Mario Brawl something or other, and Rock Band (2 and Beatles). We've ordered Mario Kart, Resort Sports, Super Mario, and Rock Band Country. :)

We have a controller for each of us - total of 4.

My kids are teens - this is what all their friends like to play, too.

Our fav's have been Wii Fit, Wii Active (more for the adults)

and Wii's new Resort game package. We also like Mario Kart--no real violence.

We have two numchucks and two controllers, with the "more sensitive" controller attachment.

I'd personally steer clear of lots of the other Wii games b/c we don't "do" a lot of the game/role play/shooter games. This keeps the Wii more unique and lets it be an active video game system rather than a typical one, if that makes any sense.

(That said, my 18 and 20 year olds do have some of the above games, as well as the skateboarding ones--the tame ones--from Tony Hawk, but these are not my fav's and dd does not play them.)

Wii fit plus is great for exercise and is a lot of fun at the same time;) It has about 30 different fit games on it:) Some of them are running, obstacle course, hoola hoop, golf, bicycle, step dance, kung fu, boxing with no violence, yoga, strength training, balance games, etc.

Also, if check out you local dollar stores for Wii knock-off foam golf clubs, plastic steering wheels, tennis rackets, etc. We found all of these accessories for about a $1.00 each;) We also got a knock-off Wii remote and nunchuck from ebay for a substantial savings.

We got one as a family gift for Christmas and LOVE it! I am SO not a video game person and before this my two youngest (8yo twin boys) had only played computer games. The boys have Lego Batman and we purchased the Wii Fit plus after Christmas which we all love.

We also bought a second controller and nunchuck, makes things much easier around here;)

Anyone count the active Wii games as PE for school? Just wondering:)

Anyone count the active Wii games as PE for school? Just wondering:)

Yes! Our charter school requires us to submit PE minutes... Wii Fit is on the list of approved PE activities. :001_smile:

We play the Wii on rainy days when we can't do our horse activities. The kids LOVE it!