Menu

Favorite bean recipes with no store-bought additives?

I would love to find some recipes for bean dishes (with or without meat) that do not add a can of this or a jar of that. I am looking for "from scratch" recipes. Crushed tomatoes are OK - I mean prepared items like BBQ sauce or can of mushroom soup, etc. Anyone have a good site or individual recipe(s) to share?

TIA!

:001_smile:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Cowboy-Caviar-2

I made this but my recipe didn't have the corn or tomatoes in it. My quick google search show others also add avocado to this dip. My recipe from Betty Crocker had red peppers instead of tomatoes.

Instead of using canned beans I started with dried beans.

While I was making it my DH and my sister expressed their disinterest. However it was the only appetizer that was completely eaten up on Christmas day. Make it 1 day ahead so all the flavors have a chance to blend it.

Highly recommend.

I cook a crockpot of dried beans periodically and freeze in quart size freezer bags and use them instead of canned beans. If I have to use canned kidney beans, I rinse them well as many are canned with high fructose corn syrup.

Black beans and rice (Moros y Cristianos) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/saras-secrets/rice-and-beans-moros-y-cristianos-arroz-con-habichuelas-recipe/index.html

Red beans and rice

http://southernfood.about.com/od/beansandblackeyedpeas/r/blbb491.htm is one recipe. I add in chopped rosemary, often use smoked sausage or sausage flavored veggie crumbles (Morningstar Farms---when I do this I use peanut oil to saute and add in a veggie boullion cube)

chili---tomato sauce, onions, garlic, tomato paste, cooked beans, chili powder, oregano, salt, cumin. cayenne (I sometimes use canned Mexican beans from Aldis in this one)

chicken taco soup---http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Taco-Soup/Detail.aspx you could sub a mix of chili powder, oregano, cayenne, cumin for the taco seasoning mix.

burritos--I use refried beans, cooked ground beef, thrawed and drained chopped frozen spinach, drained can of diced tomatoes, sauteed diced onion, salt, oregano, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, small can of drained diced green chilis all cooked together, then serve on soft tortillas with cheese and sour cream

Edited by KarenNC

We had a big pot of blackeye peas today. I soaked them for 8 hours, threw them in the crockpot with 1/2 homemade beef stock and 1/2 water and a couple chunks of bacon ends and sprinkled some frozen collard greens and salt on top. I cooked it on low overnight (about 12 hours but I'm sure they were done before then). I served it over brown rice. So yummy!

I like curried black beans & sweet potatos. I saute some garlic & onions, add curry powder or thai curry paste and saute a bit more. Then add peeled and cubed sweet potatos and some water and simmer until the potatos are about done. Sometimes I add some chopped cauliflower near the end. Then add a can or two of drained & rinsed black beans and maybe some spinach or kale. Cook till the beans are hot and/or the greens are wilted. Salt & pepper to taste.

Sometimes I serve this over brown rice and sometimes I make burritos over it.

Yum!!

Black Bean Burgers

2 garlic cloves, peeled

1/3 c yello onion, coarsely chopped

1 1/2 tsp ground cumin

1 15 oz can black beans (turtle or soy), drained and rinsed

1/2 cup Ian's whole wheat panko breadcrumbs

1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

kosher salt and fresh black pepper taste

dash cayenne pepper (optional) I've never used this

1 large egg, lightly beaten

in food processor w/metal blade, blend garlic, onion and cumin until roughly combined

add beans, breadcrumbs, and cilantro, pulse until just!! combined

transfer mix to a bowl and add walnuts. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in egg. If seems to wet to shape, add more breadcrumbs.

with damp hands, gentrly shape mix into four patties, each about 3/4 inch thick. cover and chill at least an hour

heat tbsp olive oil in skillet over med heat. add burgers and cook till light brown about 5 mins per side. Drizzle or mist buns and toast if making to eat immed. serve burgers with dollop of guac with or without buns

I make these in batches and freeze them. Simply reheat in mwave few secs after defrosting and they're great.

I don't make them in a skillet. I use my griddle and they come out perfect. Don't forget to chill them, that's what keeps them together when cooking I think.