Menu

Old Schoolhouse Magazine $7.95 year special is it worth it? Thoughts and Critques

I was wondering if this is a worthwhile subscription. If so can you tell me why, and what have you learned from it. Does it have inspiring ideas? They currently have a deal for a one year subscription for $7.95. I just want to spend my money wisely even thought it is only $7.95 so please give me your thoughts. Thanks so much! Susan :001_smile:

It's worth it for $7.95. It's not worth it for the full $25.00 price. I think the sale ends today so I'd get it now if you want it.

It is VERY conservative Christian and it's only quarterly. They tend to do a very topical magazine so if it's a topic you're not interested in, the mag will be a shorter read for you that quarter. For example, they did Homeschooling through Highschool as an edition and I didn't get much out of it. However, when they did the different learning styles, I read that one for months.

HTH!

Dorinda

I was wondering if this is a worthwhile subscription. If so can you tell me why, and what have you learned from it. Does it have inspiring ideas? They currently have a deal for a one year subscription for $7.95. I just want to spend my money wisely even thought it is only $7.95 so please give me your thoughts. Thanks so much! Susan :001_smile:

As others mentioned... very conservative christian viewpoint. Also, their reviews can hardly be called reviews. Not one review will actually critique anything about the curriculum in question. Their reviews read much more like a long ad for the product than anything else.

In addition, they are big fans/friends of/supporters of the Pearls. This may or may not affect your decision to support the magazine.

I subscribed for three years when I was starting out homeschooling. I loved it then! I always looked forward to the classical education issue where SWB was sure to have a lengthy article or interview.

After awhile, I realized that I didn't really read it anymore and didn't renew my subscription. I kind of collected them into a pile to hand out to my friends who were interested in homeschooling. {grin}

It's true, though, that every curriculum review was glowing. I can look through all of my past issues and not find a single negative review.