Menu

Is there a latin program that will be good for my 6 year old?

Kfamily

I'm trying this topic again...:lol:

I need a latin program for my younger dd (she is in first grade) but I know she isn't your typical 1st grader. I know she reads many years above grade level and absorbs material. She writes very well (in fact, I'm still working on this too) and aside from a few mechanical errors her sentences are long and varied and filled with some serious vocabulary that is properly used. Her ability to write with some length without getting tired is solid. I have looked at many different programs and am still feeling lost. I don't care for Latina Christina (or Prima) but I do like and use First Form. I love what Lively Latin includes but I am not happy with the price or problems that seem to creep up with it. I don't care for Latin for Children. I've considered the free e-book of Latin Book One that I have through the Yahoo group. Hmmm...I know whatever I use I will probably have to adapt...

I'm trying to sort this out because I'm thinking I might add in some basic oral work this year to start preparing her.

OhElizabeth, (if you see this) I read on your other thread that you might consider First Form to be useable by a third grader so I'm thinking about this too.

Editing to add: We did have and tried Song School Latin but it really wasn't right for her. She needs and wants the latin to be more advanced. It is so hard to explain her to others...she was genuinely embarrassed with SSL. I wish I could expain her without feeling like others might think I am bragging. I promise I'm really struggling to meet her needs.

Edited by Kfamily

How about Minimus? You can print out the (expensive) TM for free on the yahoo group?

And don't feel bad or like you're bragging about your dd-I was in this exact same boat with my dd at that age, so I totally get that! We did Minimus at that age with her, and it was a GREAT program and so much fun-she still talks about it. Unfortunately the whole-to-parts didn't work for her (and wouldn't even now-not her learning type!) If you think it would work for your dd, it is highly recommended! It weaves in lots of cool Roman history, archeology-very engaging for a bright or advanced child!

ETA: Just reread your post-the part about Latin Book One-I myself am (slowly) working through the Latin Book One on yahoo group, and it is also whole-to-parts (very hard for me-I'm doing better working through parts-to-whole LFC with dd-lol!), so if you think that approach will work for her, the Minimus should work too, but be MUCH more engaging for her age. BTW, don't let the "mouse" theme fool you into thinking it is babyish-it is very meaty and not babyish! I'm actually thinking of pulling it out again for her to work through independently for fun this summer-and she is a 4th grader doing up to 7th grade work!

Edited by HappyGrace

For a child like that I'd use Lively Latin. I know it has issues but it has the clearest explanations of the grammar which will be the most challenging part for a child of that age. I'm using Sing Song Latin because my youngest (who is now 6) doesn't care if something is silly and isn't mentally ready for the challenges of Latin grammar. My middle dd on the other hand, would never have liked Sing Song - so I know what you mean. LL is expensive but at that age it's going to take a while so you won't be buying another curriculum right away.

I don't know much about Latin Book One. There is another program called Elementary Latin by Sattlier that I understand to be less grammar intensive. That could be a possibility.

Heather

My six year old dd is using -- and loving -- Minimus. She enjoys the book, loves drilling the vocabulary on flashcards I made for her, and we even reinforce grammar by sorting the words by type. Minimus is great for a child with a relatively advanced vocabulary, with lots of opportunities to relate the Latin you are learning to words in English. My dd is a very visual learner, and also does well with whole-to-parts, so it really is an ideal fit for us.

Thank you so much Heather and HappyGrace for understanding! Whew! I really get nervous when I post something about this because I don't want anyone to take it the wrong way...and I'm not sure I'm the best communicator in words.:001_smile:

You both make good points about the two programs that I always thought might work best for her. The info. about the TM with Minimus is very helpful and Heather, you're right about the expensive being only initially since I think we could spend two years with Lively Latin. (Is it a year long program?...for Level 1 only I mean?) After that, I am sure she could handle First Form Latin and I already have that as well as Henle I. I might even add Cambridge to my older dd's latin work so I might have that too.

I will look over Latin Book One again too and will probably decide between these three.

Thanks so much everyone.

Edited by Kfamily

Another option for you may be Latin's Not So Tough, though it seems that not many on the boards here use it. I'm not exactly sure why that is or how it compares with other programs... as I confess that I am not knowledgeable in this subject and, therefore, have a lot more researching to do in this area.

That said, I have Levels 1-3 on hand and so I'm considering starting Level 1 w/my ds after he turns six (first grade). Perhaps Level 2 or even Level 3 would be more appropriate for your dd to start with if you were to choose LNST.

HTH!

Edited by CMama
added a link

Great thread, i will be watching. I am going to be in exactly the same boat when we finish SSL in a couple of months. My DD has the same reading & writing ability as your DD. She is enjoying SSL because she is 5 and it adds some fun, silly songs to her day, but it is light and she could be getting so much more out of it and she knows it.

I have no experiencing homeschooling yet - my kiddos are too young - but I'm enjoying learning about all the future possibilities! I read somewhere about a book called "Getting started with Latin", by William Linney, which I believe can be used with young children. Might be another option to consider, and pretty affordable. He has a website here, http://www.gettingstartedwithlatin.com/, and I think it's on Amazon as well. If I remember right, an Amazon reviewer said that their young children were learning from this book.

I tried finding this information at the Minimus site but could not. What pronunciation is used with Minimus? I was thinking it was classical but was wondering if they offer both. We've been using ecclesiastical all along and I would like to stay with that for now.

Okay, because of the pronunciation issue I'm leaning towards Lively Latin. Thanks Christina and christine in al! I had Lively Latin picked out last year as our best choice but you know I have to question myself!

Edited by Kfamily

Amber,

You know Latin For Children really isn't too bad. We watched the DVDs to the Level A program (our neighbor/friend uses LFC and let us borrow it to preview) and dh felt strongly that the speaker moved too quickly. I later considered using it without the DVDs but didn't want something with classical pronunciation. All in all, it really is a fine curriculum.

I'm thinking Lively Latin is a better choice for us since we will be using First Form/Henle later and I wanted to keep the pronunciation the same. Lively Latin offers their pronunciation in ecclesiastical too. But to be honest, I may not be purchasing this any time too soon since our finances will not allow for this (it is not really necessary right this minute :D) and I'm still considering other ideas.

HTH

Lively Latin has about 400 pages. This means that you have to work consistently to get it done in one school year. I'm using it and liking it for my 9yo.

Another idea is to check out Great Latin Adventure. The author was very helpful in sending me samples when I was in the throes of my latin curriculum decision. I have previously used PL and dropped LC1 because the explanations weren't enough for me.(although I didn't work ahead and I probably could have made it work).

HTh

the most important thing, is to read, read, and read. And to listen to huge amounts of Latin as well.

I would start to work through the over 300 titles on tarheelreader, specifically written for this age group

http://tarheelreader.org

stick to titles with the gold badge in the top left - these have been grammar proofed.

Also, Comenius' Orbis Pictus was written for six year olds. It should be read and re-read, building up a huge vocabulary, and an intuitive knowledge of forms.

You can find free material here:

http://comenius.posterous.com/

Some of the material on Latinum could also be used - bilingual dialogues by Corderius can be listened to, and there are also songs.

http://latinum.mypodcast.com

Also, the part B sections of the Adler course will be excellent for a six year old. Avoid the part A sections, they contain advanced grammar. One the part B lesson has been learned, then move on to the part C lesson, which is the same material without the English.

Adler begins with simple constructions, all written as simple dialogues.

You'll go a long way, and very quickly, if you include a lot of oral material.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like every post I make is about Lingua Laina by Orberg. But I really do love it, and I love Latin for children.

So, here goes. I use Orberg's Lingua Latina with my children. It's not really designed for children per se, but it can be easily adapted. I've been reading from Orberg to my children before they could read. Now, I'm using it for more systematic instruction with my oldest. Anyway, at least be aware of it. Blessings!

• 2 weeks later...