Menu

Doing some rethinking about the way I homeschool dd9

This year has been great, and I'm pretty happy with the materials we are using (see signature). I just feel a little stuck, like some of the joy is missing.

This is our routine--we have stopped using the basement school room, for the most part, so we do these things upstairs in our sunny living room and at the dining room table.

We start with devotions and usually move right into our bible lesson or our read aloud. Then we do math at the table, take a break, and do grammar and history. Sometimes the order changes, depending on what I feel like. Dd does some of her math problems then and saves some for anytime before dinner. She practices piano some time during the day, or occasionally after dinner.

We are not doing science at the moment, or Latin, or art. I would like to add these in starting in January--I have what we will use.

Dd likes hands-on things, but there hasn't been much in the SOTW 3 AG for the last few chapters. She isn't doing narrations very consistently, and we need to do more writing, but the paragraph writing exercises in Rod and Staff Grammar are just beginning, so we will be covering this more and I think it'll help with the written narrations.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking--she gets lots of outdoor time, reads a lot, is generally pleasant tho somewhat sarcastic (she's just starting to develop a bit in the chest and in the attitude). I just feel our school experience could be more...something...more exploratory? more kind? more gentle? more???

I like CM stuff--one of my inspirations to homeschool was Pocketful of Pinecones--I am missing that tenderness in my heart--

Anybody?

As a mother, one of the nicest things about hsing has been the ability to be with my children frequently and in positive ways. I laugh and call myself a slacker sometimes, but I don't think we are slackers exactly, although I do put the relationship above the teaching. I can always outsource areas that need more attention; if a child and I are butting heads terribly over a concept, I need to step back and figure out another way. Can this concept be covered in a different way? Can it wait? I cannot outsource my relationship. I am not talking 'best friends" relationship, but a relationship based on respect, and knowing my own limitations as a parent.

I think one reason obedience is so highly valued in some hsing circles is so parents can avoid daily battles of "I don't want to do this, this is boring, or I have no idea what you're talking about!" Taking that off the table with a You Will do this, and you Will do as I say is very appealing at times. ;) That however, isn't the sort of relationship I want.

OTOH, I can see why radical unschooling is so highly valued in some hsing circles. It takes arguing off the table as well. There is nothing to argue about. You don't have to learn math until you ask me to teach you, or you learn when we are figuring out tips at resturants, and you do not have to learn how to read until you ask me to teach you or you learn from me reading to you. That however, doesn't feel fully authentic to my relationship with my children. I do have expectations, I have asked them to work with me wrt grammar etc. I don't believe 18 hours of xbox a day serves them well.

So, blah blah blah. I strive to be authentic, honest, loving, respectful and I want our days to have a certain amount of peace and laughter. The relationship first, the grammar rules more towards the end. :001_smile:

Edited by LibraryLover

You know, I don't have an answer. I think some of it is seasonal, cyclical, because I feel this way off & on.

Sometimes I feel behind, & we focus on basics. Other times, I feel like you, like I'm missing something--the point of hs'ing, maybe? And I find that in those times, if I focus on the fun stuff--do the art, the science projects, the things I don't usually have time for, & worry less about the basics--we have the rich conversations I've missed. There's more time in a day than I thought. And the basics? Often, they get covered, but not in the way I would have planned.

Flexibility is one of the greatest benefitis of hsing, Aubrey! :001_smile: Especially with such a young family.

You know, I don't have an answer. I think some of it is seasonal, cyclical, because I feel this way off & on.

Sometimes I feel behind, & we focus on basics. Other times, I feel like you, like I'm missing something--the point of hs'ing, maybe? And I find that in those times, if I focus on the fun stuff--do the art, the science projects, the things I don't usually have time for, & worry less about the basics--we have the rich conversations I've missed. There's more time in a day than I thought. And the basics? Often, they get covered, but not in the way I would have planned.

What does your school year look like on the calendar? Do you do semesters? Quarters? If so, consider this -

I've found that when we break up longer periods of (calendar) time, we are able to nicely incorporate all those things that are appealing about CM into our regular schoolyear without it being either/or. Generally, we do 2-3 months on (regular, standard schooling) then take 1 month off to do School Lite (basics: devotions, grammar, math in the AM followed by "fun" in the afternoons). Fun would be more field trips, hands-on stuff somewhat guided by student interest but also by relevant school topics. There is more time for nature walks, creating, sewing, crafting, arts and sciences, baking or cooking and the like. It's sort of like small bursts of short unit studies. Just when this very non-crafty mom is reaching her point, the month is over and it's time to resume our more regular schoolyear (adding in literature, writing, in-depth faith studies, history, science, art, copywork, etc.)

If you're already operating on a semi-loose yearlong schedule, I'm not sure how else to advise other than to say that I've been in a similar rut. And there are worse ruts to be in (!) but I empathize and hope you find your groove again :)

I'm going to second the idea about adding some field trips. In the 1.5 years I have been homeschooling, a fun day away from home sure seems to help.

Chris in VA, aren't you in Fairfax county? I was looking recently at the stuff offered by the parks and rec dept and they have some fun science classes that aren't too expensive coming up in Jan-Feb. Might be a fun way to get in some science and give your dd something to look forward to.

Watching and listening to my children is my most important goal as a hsing parent. Sometimes we think children should be doing certain things when in fact what they are doing is exactly what they need to be doing. Why stop a child who is snuggled up with a book to ask them to come and do grammar or spelling?

I have never interfered with a child who is greatly and deeply engaged in play, even if I want to find out what happens in the next chapter of our read aloud. When my children are arguing or hanging all over us for some attention are often far better times to take out the book.

Kids who are wondering how to make change or how much more money they need to save for a game is when math is most appropriate.

Watching my teen dd really wanting to get her ducks in a row for college applications next year means that what might have been one irrelevant to her is now completely relevant.

I think listening and watching well is my constant challenge.

Edited by LibraryLover

Very much so. :001_smile:

But I can't be counted in with true RUs for academics (on the parenting front I am very much an RU) as I do have my crutches (which my RU friends do not have). I hope the children will forgive me someday.:grouphug:

You seem to have some of my same academic tedancies. lol Just reading between the lines here. lol

Laurie--are you an unschooler at heart? lol
Edited by LibraryLover

What does your school year look like on the calendar? Do you do semesters? Quarters? If so, consider this -

I've found that when we break up longer periods of (calendar) time, we are able to nicely incorporate all those things that are appealing about CM into our regular schoolyear without it being either/or. Generally, we do 2-3 months on (regular, standard schooling) then take 1 month off to do School Lite (basics: devotions, grammar, math in the AM followed by "fun" in the afternoons). Fun would be more field trips, hands-on stuff somewhat guided by student interest but also by relevant school topics. There is more time for nature walks, creating, sewing, crafting, arts and sciences, baking or cooking and the like. It's sort of like small bursts of short unit studies. Just when this very non-crafty mom is reaching her point, the month is over and it's time to resume our more regular schoolyear (adding in literature, writing, in-depth faith studies, history, science, art, copywork, etc.)

If you're already operating on a semi-loose yearlong schedule, I'm not sure how else to advise other than to say that I've been in a similar rut. And there are worse ruts to be in (!) but I empathize and hope you find your groove again :)

I really like this idea. It never occurred to me to do full homeschooling and then homeschool lite. I always thought that if we took time off school to do fun stuff, that we had to completely stop school. But I didn't want to stop.

It seems obvious now. Keep homeschooling, but do homeschool lite and then do all the museum trips, nature walks, etc, during the lite month.

Field trips have often fired up my children! My kids loved our recent trip to DC museums, and my youngest was absolutely thrilled hen she 'met' Lucy at the Museum of Natural History in Manhattan. One of my kids came home and read some Lincoln history with great interest after seeing Ford's Theater.

I don't see field trips as 'lite' in any way. I don't like to break down learning into these little boxes; this is good, this is lite, this is important, this isn't important. We don't know what will excite our children and get them interested in a subject. Plus, we can push and push topics, but it's a fact that they often don't retain anymore information than their schooled counterparts. We hsers have the great luxuries of time and freedom.

Edited by LibraryLover