Menu

Swollen Hangie Down Throat Thingie

The uvula is the thing that hangs down from the top of your palate. The epiglottis is flap of tissue at the base of your tongue. A swollen uvula isn't usually a big deal. A swollen epiglottis is a life threatening emergency and if that's what you're talking about you need to go to the ER now. Usually you can't see the epiglottis without sticking a mirror down someone's throat, but if it's really swollen it's possible that it is visible.

If you are absolutely sure it's you're uvula, don't worry. If you're not sure, go in.

I have gotten an inflamed uvula several times. The first time it happened, I FREAKED OUT. But apparently it's not a big deal. Uvulitis or something is the technical name. The first time they gave me steroids and it went down quickly. But the other times it's gone away within a day or two by itself. If you are having trouble breathing or anything, then definitely go in. But otherwise, maybe try gargling and give it a day or so.

Haven't had that, but my sister when she was about 4 or 5 was walking with a crochet hook in her mouth and the maid bumped into her and it made it go down her throat. The maid turned around and saw my sister choking and the end of the crochet hook sticking out and she yanked it out, not knowing there was a hook on the other end. It caught her uvula and split it in 2. Blood was coming out her mouth and nose. The maid was freaking out, I was freaking out and got my mom who took my sister to the nurse next door and she said not to worry about it and that it would heal on its own. It did.