Menu

Magic School Bus equivalent series

psychgal

My daughter and I are crazy about Magic School bus books. We are almost through all of them though. I haven't been able to find another series that is SO educational yet is story based (We're eventually going to love LoF). Everything I've found is just fiction with tidbits of knowledge here and there and often relies on attitude or "smart-aleckyness" for humor. Has any one found anything with the educational and story content up to the standard of MSB (for any subject)? (and doesn't have the 'tude) Thank you!

My son recommends the Bentley Boyd comics, on sale through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op right now. I enjoy them too. :001_smile:

He also says there are some more educational Geronimo Stiltons where they travel in time. I haven't read those so I'm not sure if he's right.

I have my eye on Liberty's Kids. They have the complete series on DVD at Amazon for $45. This is an animated series all about the history of the Revolution. Has social and historical issues, explored through the eyes of a couple of teenagers living at the time and working in Ben Franklin's printing shop. It has absolutely fantastic reviews. Would work great with our study of colonial/revolutionary America this spring!

My dc REALLY and I mean REALLY like the Sir Cumference series of books. They request them all. the. time. IMO they're quirky, well written, funny, and have taught the kids a LOT about math. Sir Cumference is a knight in the kingdom of Camelot. He is married to Lady Di of Ameter and have a son named Radius.

I believe there's only 6 or so titles:

Sir Cumference and the First Round Table

Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi

Sir Cumference and the Great Knight of Angleland

Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone

Sir Cumference and the Isle of Immeter

Sir Cumference and All the King's Tens

What ages would you say for these books?

My dc REALLY and I mean REALLY like the Sir Cumference series of books. They request them all. the. time. IMO they're quirky, well written, funny, and have taught the kids a LOT about math. Sir Cumference is a knight in the kingdom of Camelot. He is married to Lady Di of Ameter and have a son named Radius.

What ages would you say for these books?

They are cute enough that my preschooler likes to listen to them, my K'er adores the storyline, and my grade 3 is starting to grasp the mathematical concepts. There's something in there for everyone. :D

It's tough to say. An older child who knows what Pi or diameter is would find the book funnier because they would have that understanding, but a child who doesn't know the material would be introduced to the concept. To be fair, they are just short story books, not chapter books. Amazon says they're for ages 4-8. My grade 3'er doesn't get all the math concepts covered in them, but is wanting to learn because of the books.

Andrew Lost series is science based

The new Flat Stanley's World Wide Adventures books have good geographical/cultural stuff in them

There are a few Ms. Frizzles Adventures that feature the same characters

Geronimo Stilton is a hit and miss. The one we read about Australia was very informative, but they are not all like that.

If I remember more I will post.

• 3 weeks later...

We love those, too. They've helped me dust off my math brain and get the cells working again. :lol:

We also like What's Your Angle, Pythagoras? A Math Adventure by Julie Ellis and Math-terpieces by Greg Tang (actually, he has a TON of great math books).

For Science: The Let's Read and Find Out About Science Series is good.

The Adventures of Riley is a series Scholastic just started carrying in their book clubs. I think they're reprints, but they seem to be good. Mixes cartoon art with photography, as Riley travels around the world, learning about animals in different regions. There are six or so out now.

I was reading the Cindy Neuschwander's Books (Sir Cumference) to my 5 year old last year. I also found them a good read a loud for my olders to read him. Gotta sneak learning in for both when you can:-) She also has some other books out. I like this thread. Gosh... we watch too much TV.... should be reading... should be reading...

Carrie:-)