Menu

Prepackaged Curriculum for 5yo

mktyler

I am in need of some curriculum suggestions.

My ds 5 has recently been diagnosed with Asperger's, ADHD, Pragmatic Language Disorder, and ODD. Life has been difficult. He loves structured activities with one on one attention. I have made up a lot of curriculum for my older children, but I'm too overwhelmed to start on another specialty curriculum. He can read some and is about at a 1st grade level in Math. I need a pre-packaged, non-computer based, secular to mildly Christian K or 1st curriculum to fill 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day. For the rest of the day he will do computer activities while I work with my other children. It needs to be fairly complete so I can just open and go.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(5) ds(2)

Guest Cindie2dds

Have you looked at Oak Meadow? It's complete, although we use our own math and Bible. If you have any specific questions, you can pm me. Good Luck!

ETA: It's completely secular

Sorry you're going through this Melissa. I've missed you on the boards - your advice has really helped me out with my dyslexic son.

I am sure you will get great answers; I've never hs a young one. I do hear great things about FIAR; then you can add Math Mammoth.

Oak Meadow, as another poster recommended, may also be a good choice.

You can also check out McRuffy.

Whatever you choose, I know it will be a success. HUGS to you.

Timberdoodle's K package looks perfect for you! (And FWIW they also now have a whole section of their site speciizing in Autism. Worth a look.)

The K Timberdoodle package is just about right for any child, very open-and-go, with fun hands on stuff. I don't think you could go wrong there.

MFW K is also nice but requires a whole lot of hands on crafts. Depending on your Aspie and your own personality And stress level, crafts might not be a grest Idea this year. Letting him have his own supplies and play doh and such would most likely be better.

Just speaking from experience there. You and your ds might be different.

Thank you all for your kind replies! I will go foraging . . .

Lisa,

Your kind words really lifted me when I needed it (many long battles of " I hate you!" "You're the worst mom ever!" You are my enemy!")

If any other ideas come keep sending them my way.

Blessings,

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(5) ds(2)

I would not recommend Calvert. It relies heavily on sight words.

I would not recommend MFW K. It is not open and go IMO.

I plan to use McRuffy with DS. It looks perfect. They have open and go science too.

I am also drooling over WinterPromise I'm Ready To Learn as it looks like what DD did in her preschool when she was enrolled.

I used Accelerated Achievement with DD. She learned a lot from the informal games that made up their K curriculum.

My ds 5 has recently been diagnosed with Asperger's, ADHD, Pragmatic Language Disorder, and ODD. Life has been difficult. He loves structured activities with one on one attention. I have made up a lot of curriculum for my older children, but I'm too overwhelmed to start on another specialty curriculum. He can read some and is about at a 1st grade level in Math. I need a pre-packaged, non-computer based, secular to mildly Christian K or 1st curriculum to fill 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day. For the rest of the day he will do computer activities while I work with my other children. It needs to be fairly complete so I can just open and go.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(5) ds(2)

If I were in your shoes? I would target the reading and math.

If he struggles to hear the difference between sounds then I would start with LiPS. If he can hear the difference between sounds then I would get a good o/g program. Barton Reading, Wilson Reading, Preventing Academic Failure. Barton's has the most structure, I am told. For math Right Start is great! It has a limited amount of worksheets, which should help. Have him play the card games with his siblings, that way everyone works on their math facts. Beyond that I don't think it overly matters what you use. I would just personally stay away from workbooks. Winter Promise has nice living book programs with an open and go schedule. You can skip as many of the activities as you like, they provide more than most people use.

BTW for a K student I wouldn't be working with them for 2.5 hours. Even with the "speech therapy" I do with ds (using LiPS) we only did about an hour a day in K, and that is doing everything one on one. Now in 1st grade he is somewhere between 1 and 1.5 hours depending on the day. The longer days are because we are playing a phonics game.

Heather

Thank you all for your kind replies! I will go foraging . . .

Lisa,

Your kind words really lifted me when I needed it (many long battles of " I hate you!" "You're the worst mom ever!" You are my enemy!")

If any other ideas come keep sending them my way.

Blessings,

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(5) ds(2)

You will be in my thoughts. If I can help you in any way, I am here. :grouphug:

Question to everyone about Timberdoodle, since I have never even looked at their website. What is so wonderful about it? Isn't it just various programs hand-selected by Timberdoodle? It seems most of us could do that (after we dealt with our option anxiety).

I would agree with Oak Meadow. I used it for my dd for K and we loved it. It is discovery based rather than workbook based which might be a good fit for your child. But if your child had already started reading and is doing 1st gr. math then you might want to look at the Gr. 1 level.

If you decide to take Heather's suggestion, I can also second LiPS and Barton. They are extremely pricey but they work. I just bought LiPS for my youngest and I am very impressed with it. They do what I call 'layer learning' which I think is important for kids who have learning differences.

My oldest has mild Aspergers, and Christian Light math has been a great fit for three years. I didn't do any other subjects with him from CLE, but I'm using their 1st grade reading with my 5 year old now and am very impressed--

The lack of color and straightforwardness was good for him-- They have all subjects for 1st grade.

Betsy

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(5) ds(2)

Question to everyone about Timberdoodle, since I have never even looked at their website. What is so wonderful about it? Isn't it just various programs hand-selected by Timberdoodle? It seems most of us could do that (after we dealt with our option anxiety).

What's wonderful is it's all done for you;) You don't have to do all the searching. Of course you'll want to read up on the products to see if it's what you are looking for. At least you have a starting point. They will also help you customize it to fit your needs.

At this point I don't need a prepackaged curriculum but if I did I would sure appreciate all the help I could get:)

Sycamore Tree/Sycamore Academy has complete curriculum packages with lesson plans. For every grade you can choose between secular and Christian sets. The secular sets are not just the Christian sets with the religious materials removed; they're completely different books. The program is eclectic in that it draws from different publishers, but seems to be a traditional text/workbook approach. The lesson plans include schedules.