Menu

Book A Week in 2010 - Who wants to continue or join in?

I go through fits and starts with reading; some weeks I'll plough through 3 books, other weeks I don't read a darn thing (unless you count message boards :lol: ). I'd love to join in the 2010 challenge it might make me a bit more consistent if I feel accountable to someone :001_smile:

Sigh. When I think how much I used to read before the internet...

I only made the 52 (or will make it, anyway) because I happened to read a bunch of children's books this year and not a lot of classics or French. We did US foundation documents for great books, mostly, or pieces of things, like almost but not quite all of Canterbury Tales. I'll post next year, but I'm pretty sure (barring ill health) that I'll fall short. Not that I mind, particularly...

-Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

I'm in. I can't see more than one classic a month, but I always have something easier going at the same time. It will be interesting to see what everyone else is reading.

Same here. I plan to print out one of the book list forms from Donna Young to keep track. :001_smile:

I also spend my extra time on these boards. It's hard to break away to read a book!

I'm in, though probably more as someone who will try to read a book a week, than as someone who will commit to read a book a week. I just want to be able to join back in if I miss a week. We may be moving, so I foresee some weeks where it might be difficult to get a book in.

I do think I need to start reading more in front of my kids. They see me much more often in front of the computer than in front of a book, and I do wonder if that is part of the reason that my younger ones don't read nearly as much as my older ones.

Leslie-Jean

I do think I need to start reading more in front of my kids. They see me much more often in front of the computer than in front of a book, and I do wonder if that is part of the reason that my younger ones don't read nearly as much as my older ones.

Leslie-Jean

I've been thinking this as well. I want to cut back on the computer when they are around, and have a book in my face instead.

A book a week??? I'd love to do this, but I am not sure I am going to be able to keep up.

So, I was wondering for those who have done this before, is it better to make a list of books to keep one on track, or is it better to just wing it and chime in as you read?

Does one give a brief review with a thumbs up or a thumbs down icon?

I am reading The Road right now.

Do magazines count? I like to read short stories in The New Yorker and Harper's.

Edited by Wildiris
after thought

:lol:

I just said, "Honey, I joined the Book a Week club again." His response, "Oh Hell." :lol: I think I made it through 25 or 30 books that were non-school/curriculum related. I think I'm going to be a little more lenient on myself and count read-alouds this year. If I had done that, I might have made my 52!:lol:

A book a week??? I'd love to do this, but I am not sure I am going to be able to keep up.

So, I was wondering for those who have done this before, is it better to make a list of books to keep one on track, or is it better to just wing it and chime in as you read?

I am reading The Road right now.

Do magazines count? I like to read short stories in The New Yorker and Harper's.

Some wing it and some make a list. You do whatever suits you. I have several challenges going so have a list. You can do reviews with a thumb up or thumb down or however you want. It is very casual. However, I do have to say short stories in magazines don't count. It has to be a book. Just do your best and see how you do. Most of all have fun.

I didn't make a list. Why miss that feeling of joy and discovery one gets from prowling around the library and coming home with more than you know you can read? :lol: Or do you mean write a list of books as you finish so you remember what it is you read? Heheh. I stacked my library books up and made sure I didn't return them until I'd posted about them :blush: I confess, very little of my reading was actually absorbed. Sleep deprivation, I'm afraid. Lots of reading while nursing, but very little content stuck.

You can review however you like. Some people just type out what they read. Some provide comments. Some rant on for a paragraph or two. Depends how the mood strikes, really.

Rosie