Menu

Angle Tree dilema

Every year we pick 3 names to buy gifts for from the Angel Tree ministry through my husband's company. In past years the kids have requested things like gift cards, sweatshirts, games, CDs, etc. We usually spend about $25-$30 per kid. This year we have a problem. One of the kids is requesting an MP3 player and another one is requesting a keyboard. Neither of these children are young kids (13 and 12) so I know that they want the real thing. I don't think we can find either item for less then $50. I don't want to disappoint either of them but we just can't afford to buy the present on their list. Any suggestions?

Every year there are a bunch of tags on a tree and my husband just looks for 3 kids with similar ages to my kids. I think it would be awkward for my husband to ask someone to switch. I wish he had looked at the gift request more closely before he picked the names. I don't mean to sound stingy but we also give to other charities this time of year and we just can't spend $50 a kid on this. I think it surprised us because every other year they have requested much smaller items.

Every year there are a bunch of tags on a tree and my husband just looks for 3 kids with similar ages to my kids. I think it would be awkward for my husband to ask someone to switch. I wish he had looked at the gift request more closely before he picked the names. I don't mean to sound stingy but we also give to other charities this time of year and we just can't spend $50 a kid on this. I think it surprised us because every other year they have requested much smaller items.

There are several MP3 players on Walmart.com that are less than $30.00. I searched for "mp3 player" then clicked "All MP3 players" then sorted by lowest to highest price.

I found this at ToysRUs.com:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2400525

You can probably find these things in the stores themselves as well.

Hope that Helps!

Two suggestions...

First, do you know of another family or two that you would feel comfortable asking to participate and share in the cost? I know that might be tricky, but a thought.

Second, sounds like you got great ideas for the MP3 player. Would it be possible to find a nice used keyboard for sale and make sure it's in tip-top shape to give? Someone in you church or homeschool community may have one around the house that they no longer use. Instruction manuals can often be found online and downloaded/printed. I know that one typically doesn't give used items in a gift program like this, but for such an expensive item... maybe the Angel Tree coordinator could give you some advice.

We don't do Angel trees any longer for this very reason. The last time we did it, the requests (we also get three, one for each of my kids) EACH had requests that totaled up to about $200.

Boy, did I feel BAD when we could not provide the $200 for each of those kids.

And it was a shock too... the years before that, the requests were much more reasonable.

Anyway... we now pick out gifts we can afford, and then donate them to the local fire station through our 4-H club.

Just because they've asked for something, doesn't mean you HAVE to get that thing. I know that sounds horrible, but hey, my kids don't get everything they ask for either. :)

On our Angel Tree tags, even if there is a request for something like a remote control car, there is still listed clothing size, shoe size, etc... I figure if they only *allowed* you to purchase the remote control car, they wouldn't put clothing sizes down.