Menu

Had to take DD to the minor med yesterday...

We were at the library and she noticed that something was wrong with her earrings. I looked, and on one of them the back piece had gone all the way into her ear; and the other was halfway in.

:ack2:

We rushed home and I was able to remove the one that was halfway in with tweezers, but the other was completely embedded. I tried to get even a little of it to push back through so that I could pull it out, but it was too far in there. It looked like the hole had swallowed it and almost closed up around it.

I took her to the minor med and they had to cut a little to get it out. She said it didn't hurt much, and she can't see how gross it looks, but still she is traumatized enough that she doesn't ever want to wear earrings again. :(

The lady (nurse?) that got it out said that she had seen this twice before and it was probably from sleeping in the earrings. I still don't understand how it could have happened. She's had her ears pierced for about 4 years now and never had any problems before.

Have any of you, or your children, had this happen before?

Actually it happened to me as a child. In that experience I found out it was an allergic reaction to nickel. It kinda poofed up from the allergy and swallowed the earring backing. I didn't even notice before it was too late and the earring back was inside my lobe. I was able to pull it back out. The only thing I remember before I realized the problem was that the ear piercing hole felt only slightly itchy...not even as bad as a mosquito bite.

And now a few of months ago my nickle allergy progressed (after a pregnancy) to the point where I cannot wear my wedding ring. Have to get it replaced with platinum as it doesn't contain nickel like gold jewelry does.

I tried getting my ears pierced four times. I had the same issue and it was a reaction to the metal. Seems I have a metal allergy. When I wore eye-glasses with metal frames my face got all red/open sore and swollen where the frames touched my face.

If it hadn't been for the mess with my pierced ears, I would have never known I had an allergy.

This happened to me when I was a child. I had newly pierced ears, and one day, I noticed it hurt to turn them as you're supposed to. So I simply stopped turning them. Pretty soon, the skin grew over them. I waited as long as I possibly could before telling my mother, and hid it from her for quite awhile. They had to do a lot of cutting to get the earrings out - the skin had grown over the entire earrings, front and back. It was a horrifying experience!

This happened to me when I was a child. I had newly pierced ears, and one day, I noticed it hurt to turn them as you're supposed to. So I simply stopped turning them. Pretty soon, the skin grew over them. I waited as long as I possibly could before telling my mother, and hid it from her for quite awhile. They had to do a lot of cutting to get the earrings out - the skin had grown over the entire earrings, front and back. It was a horrifying experience!

Oh my gosh! That sounds horrible! I'm so glad that DD's didn't get that bad. She's had them pierced for almost 4 years, so I guess we just didn't think that turning them was still necessary. I'm not sure how long she'd had those particular earring in, either. Maybe a month or so?? She usually doesn't go that long without changing them, but we've had so much going on lately that we just haven't thought about it. :confused:

This has happened to my Dd. But in her case she had new piercings (about a month). She got hit by a basketball in her ear and it got swollen and infected. The infection was bad in just few days. Three days after she got hit, the doctor had to cut the earring out as the earring was completely in the lobe.

Dd did get the ear re-pierced about 4 months later. That went well and 3 months later we tried to change earrings she said it hurt and allowed her holes to close up. She was 9 at the time. When she was 12/13 she had her ears re-pierced. She doesn't change out her ear rings though. Now that I remember that fact I need to talk to her about it. Not good to leave earrings in so long. No problems such a infections,etc but still it just doesn't sound right.

Edited by AnitaMcC

When she was 12/13 she had her ears re-pierced. She doesn't change out her ear rings though. Now that I remember that fact I need to talk to her about it. Not good to leave earrings in so long. No problems such a infections,etc but still it just doesn't sound right.

I got my ears pierced when I was in 8th grade. In recent years, I didn't wear earrings often, so the holes closed up. I got them repierced about 3 years ago. I picked out nice studs that I wouldn't mind wearing day in and day out. I've been wearing them ever since and haven't had a problem. I think as long as you don't have a metal allergy, a good pair of earrings will not cause a problem just from not changing them. Cheap earrings might make a difference if you don't change them, clean them or turn them. I don't take mine out to clean anymore. They turn easily.

I got my ears pierced when I was in 8th grade. In recent years, I didn't wear earrings often, so the holes closed up. I got them repierced about 3 years ago. I picked out nice studs that I wouldn't mind wearing day in and day out. I've been wearing them ever since and haven't had a problem. I think as long as you don't have a metal allergy, a good pair of earrings will not cause a problem just from not changing them. Cheap earrings might make a difference if you don't change them, clean them or turn them. I don't take mine out to clean anymore. They turn easily.

Thanks for letting me know. I will let her be as long as she isn't having any problems.

• 5 months later...