Menu

Looking for recomendations for Spanish TV

Well, if there's anything out there, I'm all :bigear:

From what I've been able to find, it's all cheesy game shows with scantily clad girls, talk shows and exceedingly melodramatic telenovelas.

The closest I've come to something I could stomach them watching from a Spanish TV channel was a cartoon about an Irish pig (what a thing to watch in Spanish!).

My younger dd has liked Las tres mellizas, but I had to buy them on dvd.

Oh, I just remembered something that could be good - someone else here recommended this BBC show that you can watch here on the internet. It looks like fun, and includes instruction. You can also watch Destinos (PBS/Annenberg production) online for free. Those are both really good, just on a tiny screen.

I plan to check the library for movies too.

That's actually a good idea - many dvds can be played dubbed in Spanish. I would only let my kids watch Magic School Bus in Spanish. Lately, they've wanted to watch Harry Potter 3 ad nauseum - so I told them they'd only be able to watch it in Spanish from now on - worked! It's actually good for them to watch something they're already familiar with, as it will help them get words from context.

Well, if there's anything out there, I'm all :bigear:

From what I've been able to find, it's all cheesy game shows with scantily clad girls, talk shows and exceedingly melodramatic telenovelas.

:iagree: :svengo: :ack2:

The closest I've come to something I could stomach them watching from a Spanish TV channel was a cartoon about an Irish pig (what a thing to watch in Spanish!).

Hey, we like that show :lol:. It's a translation, because we've watched in English as well.

Since you're going to the library, see if they have any of the Chavo del 8, Chapulin Colorado, and/or Chespirito shows. Same cast, funny, and clean. They've recently taken these shows off TV. Some Cantinflas movies (dvd) are captioned in (kind of bad :tongue_smilie:) English . Other than that, popular movies with Spanish audio (and English subtitles to start) is a good choice. I really can't recommend Spanish TV because so much of it is raunchy (IMNSHO). Although, I must sometimes get my court-action in watching the judge on Veredicto Final :D.

Oh! maybe there is a Spanish PBS in your area? We don't have cable, but the digital box. We have both PBS and the Spanish one (for two regions, even). We watch that a lot!

I second the idea that many DVDs are dubbed into other languages - usually Spanish and French - just like the Mom with the Harry Porter situation we had this with the little Mermaid, and I said: Sure, we'll see it in french... and then Spanish - LOL....

If yo have Comcast, there are certain programs for free (it might depend on the area, I'm here in South Florida) that are on Demand, that you can see in Spanish... Both Kids & Older Audience programs.. Also, similar to the DVS, they do have certain channels that are in spanish (might be at an additional charge).

Kate...

There's always Plaza Sesamo (that's Sesame Street). It is not the American Sesame Street dubbed! It is a Mexican version, with Mexican priorities focused on (like hygeine, for example). Most of the other television shows (even the ones for kids) from Latin America on let's say Univision are very, very scary (no hiding real life here). If there are a lot of Spanish speaking people in your area, your library may have Plaza Sesamo on video or DVD. As far as network (non-cable) television is concerned, the biggest are Univision (who I think also owns Telefuturo) and Telemundo. But you can only get those stations as a non-cable channel if there are a lot of Hispanics in your area. And even then, not every Spanish speaking station will broadcast Plaza Sesamo.

Guest AmazingASLTeacher

Although it might be a little bit elementary for a 13-yr old, I really enjoy the Nickelodeon shows like Dora that do Spanish and English at the same time. It might not be intensive enough for y'all, though.

I get V-me on Cable, but I believe it's in collaboration with KPBS so it might be available without Cable. This is the only Spanish speaking channel we watch at home, excellent quality programming for kids in the morning. Later, lots of family programs like nature series and such. Evening is all adult programming but again very good quality.

This is their website:

http://www.vmetv.com/

I get V-me on Cable, but I believe it's in collaboration with KPBS so it might be available without Cable. This is the only Spanish speaking channel we watch at home, excellent quality programming for kids in the morning. Later, lots of family programs like nature series and such. Evening is all adult programming but again very good quality.

This is their website:

http://www.vmetv.com/

Yes, it is available without cable. That's the one I was referring to before (I think I mentioned it, but not the name...maybe not). Anyway, it 's great programming. We only have the digital converter box and get V-Me.

What about Destinos? I don't know if this is appropriate for a 13YO. It says it's for high school to adult, and since there are 14YOs in high school, it's probably OK. If anyone has seen it, is it OK for a 12YO (my son)?

I've seen the series. From what I remember, it's so tame, I'd let my 10yo dd see it. It was a great way to learn Spanish.

• 2 weeks later...

Those telenovelas are extremely dramatic and slightly (!) sleazy. HOWEVER, I can testify that in a one-year period, where I watched a mere hour a week of one, I actually learned to understand a fair amount of Spanish. !!! Scary. It would have been good if I'd decided to marry a rich man and hide my peasant roots and then plan my revenge on my evil sister-in-law! My proudest moment was getting a "papa" pun in a McDonald's commercial.

But don't forget sensational "news" programs. Sort of like "A Current Affair," if you remember that. I used to watch one, and it was always about chupacabra sitings. I learned a lot.

Unfortunately I cannot get V-Me tv without cable. Alas.

Do you have any Spanish radio? There are lots of online radio programs too.