Menu

Farmer Boy--anything similiar?

woolybear

My two ds loved Farmer Boy. Although we have and still are reading the other Little House books, they would love something I guess more boyish. We have tons to read aloud and they love so many of these books. So, it's not a lack of a good story around here. Just wondering if there is anything that could satisfy that farm boyish yen.

thanks.

How about country-ish as opposed to actual farm boy? Rascal by Sterling North is one of my all time favorites. Also Old Yeller is a good one. Both of these books are a bit sad because Rascal has to be returned to the wild and Travis has to shoot Old Yeller.

Edited by Faithr
remembered a book!

- Robert Fulton Boy Craftsman (Henry) -- the inventor as a Colonial boy making things

- Pedro's Journal (Conrad) -- Columbus' voyage from a cabin boy's perspective

- Skippack School (de Angeli) -- Colonial school boys and misadventures

- The Matchlock Gun (Edmonds) -- Colonial boy helps guard his home against Indian attack

- The Sign of the Beaver (Speare) -- Colonial pioneer boy & Native American boy survival in the woods

- Diary of an Early American Boy (Sloane) -- Colonial teen farmer who builds things, plows, uses farm tools

- Louis Braille (Davidson) -- biography; how Braille began inventing his alphabet for the blind as a boy

- Born in the Year of Courage (Crofford) -- biography; 1850s Japanese teen shipwreck and survival

- Chucaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa (Kalney) -- turn of the century Argentinian boy and the horse he tames

- Rascal (North) -- misadventures of a rural pre-teen boy and his racoon

- Shiloh (Naylor) -- misadventures of a rural pre-teen boy and his dog

- Owls in the Family (Mowat) -- misadventures of a Canadian boy and animals

- My Side of the Mountain (George) -- teen boy lives in wilderness and makes everything for himself

- Om-Kas-Toe (Thomasa) -- Colonial Blackfoot boy who tames the first horse for his tribe

- Mountain Born (Yates) -- turn of the century teen boy and his shepherding family

- Kildee House (Montgomery) -- man who lives in a hollow tree and befriends animals

- Little Britches (Moody) -- misadventures of pre-teen boy on Colorado ranch

- Call it Courage (Sperry) -- South Pacific boy lives alone to overcome his fear of the ocean

- Li-Lun, Lad of Courage (Treffinger) -- against hostile elements, a Japanese boy grows rice on a mountain top

- McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm (Fleischman) -- very funny tall tale of a man on his highly productive farm

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman) -- very fun tall tale of a boy and his butler "roughing it" sailing around the horn to make their fortune in the Gold Rush

- Light at Tern Rock (Sauer) -- boy gives up Christmas to help keep the lighthouse going

Edited by Lori D.
added info

...for My Side of the Mountain and its sequels, Frightful's Mountain and On the Far Side of the Mountain. I'm not sure of the reading level b/c ds is just 6.5, but he's listened to them all on CD and loved them. They aren't farm-boy books, but very interesting for boys (me too, to be honest!).

- Little Britches (Moody) -- misadventures of pre-teen boy on Colorado ranch

Little Britches is actually 8 years old thru much of the novel (there's a series, so he probably gets older in later books :) ).

We're reading this right now & we love it. The boy is a little bit of a daredevil, but he works very hard and has a strong father trying to teach him character.

Julie

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. My dc are 7 and 9. The older and I read quite a few of those suggested in the past, but not with my younger. I think he would probably enjoy My Side of the Mountain, etc. He is very outdoorsy. He loved Sign of the Beaver too. (Me too.:))

I will check out the others. I think Diary of An Early American Boy and Kildee House might be good choices.

On the other hand, we are also very into the Paddington series right now. :)

I love that there is no end to wonderful read alouds.

I couldn't take this one...too many wounded horses. About the only book I ever put down for this reason, adult or child. FYI.

Agreeing, and I also have trouble with this one as the boy gets a beating in every other chapter. I have been reading it aloud but it is all a bit much.

Agreeing, and I also have trouble with this one as the boy gets a beating in every other chapter. I have been reading it aloud but it is all a bit much.

You know, we started Little Britches last year and never finished it. I can't recall why. Both the beatings and wounded animals sound like good reasons why, but I think maybe it just didn't grab our attention.

I dont recall all that much beating or injured horses in Little Britches. I loved the whole series. My kids liked the book.

I think Little Men is excellent and ahsnt been mentioned here at all. Its similar to Farmer Boy in some ways and very different in others but all and all is a great read for boys and girls. It gets neglected bc all the attention goes to Little Women which is terribly girly.

I love that there is no end to wonderful read alouds.

That's so true! And I just thought of 2 more:

- The Robinson Crusoe reader (Cowles) -- abridged version of the classic, at a 3rd grade reading level; all the cool stuff he builds and plants while shipwrecked

- Two Little Savages (Seton) -- probably a read aloud when they are a little bit older -- two 13yo boys at the end of the 1800s make all kinds of Native American items and live in the woods for awhile