Menu

Frugal - Creative - Homemade Christmas

Lets start a thread with as much creative ideas as we can muster. I have two to share for a frugal, creative, homemade Christmas.

For my older daughters:

I know a lot of you must sew. I do, and I plan to make a lot of presents this year. I am making legwarmers out of a sweater I bought from the goodwill. I bought a 100% wool sweater with adorable stripes on the sleeves. I will cut them off, take them in if necessary and hem the top. I may also make some with embroidery added.

For my younger children:

I will also make my children hat and gloves out of the same sweater. Just cut out the shape and sew it toghether. I may make it pointy and add ties. Something like this:

2714231739_c1ebe4ca6c.jpg

Or here is a tutorial to make this:

HS12.jpg

Here is something fantastic. It is all the American Girl doll clothes patterns available for free online. AG no longer sells these so this is an amazing find. http://agplaythings.com//AG%20Patterns/DollDressPatterns.html

I would love to hear what kind of frugal ideas you have for Christmas.

Michelle

Edited by Michelle My Bell

I am making bean bags for the younger crew, and juggling balls for the older ones.

http://juggleballs.amielmartin.com/all

Also in the wheat bag line, I am making wheat bag warmers for the adults. In order to fill all these things I brought a cheap sack of chicken wheat.

Hats and gloves don't work down here (its midsummer) ;). But I am working on slipper socks for all as well, even if it is not very seasonal.

I always make gifts for the relatives. This year its:

clutch bags (made from scraps of fabric and old jeans) for the teen and pre teen girls

plastic coated painting aprons for the children

handbags for the adult women

?? for the men and teen boys (ideas?)

Previous years:

shoulder bags

tote bags

wheat heat packs with monograms

individually painted pots with a bag of soil and a packet of seeds

super hero capes

fudges

For DD:

Dolls sheet set

Play tent made of muslin for hanging in the garden

I'm not much good at coming up with stuff for the boys.

I made all the women in my family butcher style aprons and then paired that with an inexpensive cookbook put out by my church.

The men all are getting knit snow caps out of some really pretty wool yarn left over from other projects. My sister knits and I sew, so we trade services each year. :)

I will also be making pj pants for the kiddos and neices and then little messenger bags for my neices (out of scraps).

Guest Dulcimeramy

I am creating Christmas out of thin air this year. DH has been furloughed more often than he's worked in 2009, and he just got sent home again two weeks ago.

Normally I would be stocked up on food and Christmas fixings, but we already had to deplete my whole store to survive the year. I've never had less to work with at Christmas-making time!

That said, I think I've almost pulled it together. After a year of comparative deprivation, the children have very low expectations which helps tremendously.

I studied up on traditions from around the world, from Advent through Epiphany, and we're going to have plenty to do in the way of crafts, activities, music, games, plays, and more! Emphasis on fun, meaning, and being together, creating new traditions that cost nothing. I'll be blogging about some of this.

Gifts for Christmas morning:

DS5: cornhole game, with a lilypad/pond painted picture on the boxes, and frog-shaped beanbags

DS9: shooting gallery (in a homemade wooden box, with animals painted on scrap wood and attached to the box with canvas strips, so they can be shot down and stood back up)...and two homemade rubber band guns.

DH is making glockenspiels for these younger two out of electrical conduit and industrial strength rubber bands (scrap from work). I hope it works!

DS11: DH is giving him a very fine set of calligraphy pins, nibs, and ink. DH worked as a graphic designer 20 years ago. ds11 is extremely artistic, and I think he'll be very happy with this. I might also give him my good watercolor paints. I'll only do this if I can get watercolor paper somehow.

DS13: The hardest. I've been thinking on his gifts all night. Maybe a gift basket is the way to go for him...a small bag of his favorite candy (peanut butter/strawberry M&M's), a crocheted net to store his beloved stuffed animals in a ceiling corner of his room, and a library copy of Men in Black (he's wanted to see this for years. I told him he could when he was 13....he just turned 13). This is lacking a WOW factor...still thinking.

My Dad gave DH and I each a set of golf clubs, years ago, but neither of us play. I'm thinking of giving a driver to each of the older boys, and a coupon for a bucket of balls at the local driving range. Along with the promise of giving them each an entire set when they are older OR when we can afford to take them to golf.

I'll be making treats and candies, and scarves and hats, too. I'm also going to help each boy make a gift for each of the others.

I make alot of embroidered items. Last year I made tea towels with different designs, you know, the days of the week kind. Another year it was Christmas table runners. This year I am working on some snowman pillow cases.

I saw the cutest soy candles made in sugar bowls somewhere. I have a big collection of the old fashioned sugars and creamers, I may make some of these for friends.

Love the American gir doll clothes patterns, may make a couple dresses for nieces or little friends.

I have seen lots of patterns for felt food and thought it would be really cute for the little nieces and nephews. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1998082/free_felt_food_patterns.html?cat=22 You can find a few free patterns here.

We have a few things in the works:

Hemp & bead bracelets and necklaces for kids and teens.

Knitted scarves for the grandmas.

Votive beeswax candles w/ essential oils for a few friends/hostess/teacher gifts

Cookies, bread, and frozen organic chickens we raised to cousins and an aunt.

I also give free range, organic eggs to various others.

I made these one year:

http://ournestof3.blogspot.com/2008/11/stamped-candles-great-gift-idea.html

It was incredibly easy and fun.

Also, if you make cards, scrapbook or stamp, you can make greeting card assortments using very simple designs. You can get fancier, but you could just make 6 simple cards and tie together with ribbon. Here's a set I made using a decorated tin, but still inexpensive:

http://ournestof3.blogspot.com/2008/11/tin-full-of-cards-another-gift-idea.html

And here is a website with lots of very simple and quick card design ideas:

http://cleanandsimplestamping.blogspot.com/

Edited by nestof3