Menu

What Slow Cooker/Crockpot do you have & love?

I'm seriously considering this Hamilton Beach model.

I've got a Rival Crock Pot, and haven't been terribly impressed with it since I bought it a few years ago. It seems to cook too hot/too fast, and now steam is sputtering out the top and it burned (as in blackened any parts that were touching the pot) my BBQ pork the other day and dried it out (and was on low or warm most of the day) :angry:.

What Crock Pot do you have and love?

They have this crock-pot at Walmart for a few bucks cheaper. I put it on my Christmas list...until I saw the GE cooltouch model they carry for $40. I'm hoping that's the one dh gets for me, but it's been out of stock. If he can't find it, the HB one is what I told him to get. Hopefully someone has some good input for you. :-)

My hubby and I looked at that model at Target. He was worried the little tabs that the handles latch onto might break off. It's his job to think about such things, I did point out to him that it would not withstand the rough treatment that military equipment gets. :lol:

That said, I just have a Rival crockpot that I've owned since we were first married. It's still functional, it just doesn't have all the cool features that the newer ones have.

I've got a Rival Crock Pot, and haven't been terribly impressed with it since I bought it a few years ago. It seems to cook too hot/too fast, and now steam is sputtering out the top and it burned (as in blackened any parts that were touching the pot) my BBQ pork the other day and dried it out (and was on low or warm most of the day) :angry:.

My Rival does that too, Judo. :glare:

I bought that Hamilton Beach crockpot a month ago and I love it. I've probably only used it about ten times so far, but I've yet to be disappointed. I love that it'll switch to the warm setting after my cooking time has expired. We're gone every Saturday from 8 AM until about 4, and I want to come back to a ready to eat meal. Sometimes my meals simply don't need to cook that long, or I might be delayed getting home...so I LOVE having it just keep the food warm. Awesome for when I have spaghetti or something in there- and it hasn't stuck/burned yet.

Almost bought the GE one but couldn't find it anywhere else and couldn't find reviews- made me wonder if it was going to be a good product.

I have the Rival Smart CrockPot with the timer gizmo. It's huge and unless it's chock-full will turn any food into ancient ruins in a short amount of time. I use it for soups, stews, and anything that I can stir. If it's a layered thing, forget it. Too hot, too fast. Burnt is not a flavor category. The handle on the lid has broken twice and I've called and had it replaced. After the second time, I gave up. I'll use a spoon to pry it up and remove it rather than trust a handle that is going to break.

I have a Rival round crock pot, 6 quart size. Bought it about 10 years ago. It's a good utility version. Doesn't cook too fast, great for roasts or layered recipes. Fantastic for veggies too. I've also baked potatoes in it and this one does a fantastic job.

I have a Hamilton Beach, 4 quart size. Removable crock, looks nice after 8 years. Settings are way off and doesn't heat throughly in my opinion. Last thing I sacrificed in there was a roast...and it's now sitting in the garage sale box.

I have two El-Cheap-Oh versions, about 2 quart size. Think I paid $3 for each at a Black Friday sale. Good for veggies or small desserts, but gotta be careful. These have a LOT of hot spots. The settings should read: Ashes or Charred

And then, there is my favorite. It's about 25 years old. Has an acutal 'pot' that can be removed from the hot-plate style heater. Pot can be placed on the stove top for searing of meat, to get contents hot or boiling and then placed on heater. It has 5 settings and they are true settings. I love it. Bought it at a garage sale and it's my 'Go-To Crock Pot' for just about everything. It's about a 6-8 quart size, oblong in shape, ugly as sin 1970's Harvest Gold in color...but it's a dependable work horse and I'll be sad when it gives up the ghost.

I have this exact pot (the Hamilton Beach model you linked), and I love it! It makes the best roasts! The meat turns out perfectly, and the potatoes, asparagus, carrots don't get mushy. I love that the lid seals for potlucks, or to keep the moisture in. I also love that it doesn't get hot spots. It heats evenly. I love that the crock is removable for cleaning. I love the temperature probe. It's a great pot!

New crock pots stink because they have upped the temps on them. All of these recipes that claim take 12 hours on low, forget it, food has died three times over by then. The crock pots are just too hot!

This was my vague understanding as well. Was it new food safety laws, or what? But the newer ones (from my understanding) cook hotter than new ones.

By beloved (and oft-used) oval Rival has been in a state of suspended non-use since the concerns about lead leaking were raised here on WTM, and since finding Rival not to be forthcoming with information beyond saying they have never been recalled and meet FDA standards.

Bill

And then, there is my favorite. It's about 25 years old. Has an acutal 'pot' that can be removed from the hot-plate style heater. Pot can be placed on the stove top for searing of meat, to get contents hot or boiling and then placed on heater. It has 5 settings and they are true settings. I love it. Bought it at a garage sale and it's my 'Go-To Crock Pot' for just about everything. It's about a 6-8 quart size, oblong in shape, ugly as sin 1970's Harvest Gold in color...but it's a dependable work horse and I'll be sad when it gives up the ghost.

:iagree: Mine did die. Actually the bottom of the pot warped so it wasn't touching the hotplate evenly.

It looked like this:

http://www.target.com/West-Bend-Oblong-Slow-Cooker/dp/B000TK8SLY