Menu

Grain-free diet - Help me stock my pantry!

We have just learned that 2nd ds has numerous allergies, and it has been recommended that we eliminate all grains for the time being, in addition to implementing a rotation diet. I am fairly overwhelmed by the thought, especially since I am 30 weeks pregnant and the timing couldn't be much worse financially. DH has only worked an average of about 30 hours/week for a long time, and I know trying to make these dietary changes can get pricey.

That said, I have an opportunity to order from Country Life Natural Foods, but I need to get my order together fairly quickly. I have a Nutrimill, so I can grind some of my own flour subs, etc.

To anyone who has BTDT, what would you recommend having on hand?

I know buckwheat is one that we can do, but what else? Should I get hulled or unhulled buckwheat?

I have some books on request from the library, but I don't know that they'll get here before I have to have my order in.

TIA!

This site looks pretty good. http://www.grainfreeliving.com/home

How long is the rotation diet? I wouldn't stock huge amounts until I found out what the allergies actually are. (I still have some amaranth flour from our last rotation diet a year ago.)

Personally, I'm not so fond of amaranth. It makes what our family calls rubber pancakes.

What I would stock-

lentils and dal. Very good for soups and main dishes.

sesame seeds - I think this would include tahini.

chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) - good in soups, I'll try to dig up my chickpea flatbread recipe and post it later , good in Italian type main dishes. I think this would include hummus.

flaxseed - I can't remember if this is on the list. Ignore if it isn't.

buckwheat makes good pancakes but I got it already as flour so I don't know about hulled or unhulled.

Just start thinking about all the things that don't have grain. Rice, potatoes, veggies, fruit, dairy. My new fall back recipes (used to be spaghetti or mac n' cheese) are:

Salmon patties and rice (I always keep a can of salmon on hand so this is a great emergency-I-didn't-go-to-the-store meal)

White chili - Chicken breast in freezer, canned white beans and chicken broth.

Lentil Casserole - Dried lentils, canned broth, canned ham or pressed beef.

I prefer fresh foods but the above meals are always in the pantry.

hope this helps,

I just started a grain- and legume-free diet a week ago to address my own allergies and intolerances. I may not be experienced enough yet to really help you, but I will say keep lots of nuts on hand! They are a good source of healthy protein and fat, they're a quick and easy snack, and of course you can grind them to make flour if you feel you need bread substitutes (personally I don't).

At first grain-free can sound very daunting. But the reality is you're left with an incredible variety of foods. My diet (I am avoiding dairy for the time being as well) consists of five basic "food groups": meat (all types), vegetables, fruits, nuts, and eggs. There are a lot more choices within these types than I previously took advantage of, or was even aware of!

Personally I would recommend that you start by focusing on really simple, natural foods. Don't look for a lot of substitutes of foods you're used to (faux pasta and such) because they are NOT going to taste the same, and you're likely to be disappointed. Instead, eat really simply for awhile, and then those foods added occasionally can be a treat.

Keep plenty of fresh veggies and fruits on hand. Make a frittata for breakfast instead of having cereal. Have a meat, a raw veggie, and a cooked veggie at dinner, instead of a meat, veggie, and bread. Think fruit for dessert instead of pastries and other baked goods. Your whole family will feel better and be healthier!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/recipes/

http://www.elanaspantry.com/

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses. :)

I wish it was as simple as grains, but he's apparently pretty widely allergic. The test we had rates his allergies on a scale of 0-VL, 1+, 2+ and 3+, with 3+ being the highly allergic items. I guess I should have checked the list before I typed my message, looks like he's even slightly allergic (1+) to buckwheat and a 1+ even on rice.

He's 3+ on grapes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, corn, pecans, sesame, walnuts, wheat, chocolate, and coffee.

He's 2+ on cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, celery, cucumbers, white potatoes, clams, shrimp, chicken :(, oats and rye.

I am beginning to wonder what I am going to feed this kid. Fortunately, he likes salad, but he is otherwise fairly picky on his fruits and veggies. I really want to try to do this in way that will work for the whole family. I am hoping that my dd with eczema and my dh with sinus issues will see some benefit as well.

Some things that registered as VL (very low) are honey, lima beans, lentils, kidney beans, beef, eggs, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, lettuce, mushrooms, olives, peas, lemons, oranges, papaya, peach, pineapple, plums, strawberries.

I like the salmon patty idea, and have also thought about bean w/bacon soup, which has fewer irritants that white chili. I really need ideas that don't use a lot of meat to keep cost down.

Keep the suggestions coming, please!

Given the extent of his allergies (both in terms of number of foods and severity of reaction), I am going to change my suggestion to something completely different. I think you need to look into the GAPS Diet.

http://gapsdiet.com/

This is based on the idea that the problems he is having are because of an unhealthy balance of intestinal flora which has damaged his digestive tract. So, you can avoid the offending foods, and then other foods will eventually also start to "offend", unless you address the underlying cause. And that means restoring healthy intestinal flora, and eating easy to digest foods so that the digestive tract can rest, recover, and heal. The book (which I don't have) is highly recommended to understand this better, but the website will get you started. I know a family who is doing this diet to address a daughter's health problems and they are having remarkable results so far.

I just started a grain- and legume-free diet a week ago to address my own allergies and intolerances. I may not be experienced enough yet to really help you, but I will say keep lots of nuts on hand! They are a good source of healthy protein and fat, they're a quick and easy snack, and of course you can grind them to make flour if you feel you need bread substitutes (personally I don't).

At first grain-free can sound very daunting. But the reality is you're left with an incredible variety of foods. My diet (I am avoiding dairy for the time being as well) consists of five basic "food groups": meat (all types), vegetables, fruits, nuts, and eggs. There are a lot more choices within these types than I previously took advantage of, or was even aware of!

Personally I would recommend that you start by focusing on really simple, natural foods. Don't look for a lot of substitutes of foods you're used to (faux pasta and such) because they are NOT going to taste the same, and you're likely to be disappointed. Instead, eat really simply for awhile, and then those foods added occasionally can be a treat.

Keep plenty of fresh veggies and fruits on hand. Make a frittata for breakfast instead of having cereal. Have a meat, a raw veggie, and a cooked veggie at dinner, instead of a meat, veggie, and bread. Think fruit for dessert instead of pastries and other baked goods. Your whole family will feel better and be healthier!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/recipes/

http://www.elanaspantry.com/

Thanks for these links! They look great. I will definitely be bookmarking them. I am definitely hoping the whole family benefits from this. Now, to figure out how to budget for it.

Given the extent of his allergies (both in terms of number of foods and severity of reaction), I am going to change my suggestion to something completely different. I think you need to look into the GAPS Diet.

http://gapsdiet.com/

This is based on the idea that the problems he is having are because of an unhealthy balance of intestinal flora which has damaged his digestive tract. So, you can avoid the offending foods, and then other foods will eventually also start to "offend", unless you address the underlying cause. And that means restoring healthy intestinal flora, and eating easy to digest foods so that the digestive tract can rest, recover, and heal. The book (which I don't have) is highly recommended to understand this better, but the website will get you started. I know a family who is doing this diet to address a daughter's health problems and they are having remarkable results so far.

This looks like a great site as well. I was planning to ask at the docs office about leaky gut/intestinal flora, but we haven't been back for a follow-up visit yet. So much reading, so little time!

The only difficulty is that there aren't tons of prepackaged foods out there. When I go grain free I have to cook everything myself. There are only a handful of convenience foods out there. If you can get past that you really can get creative.

I actually prefer from scratch over prepackaged, so that shouldn't be a problem. I just am not in a very creative place right now, especially when so much of our diet has revolved around grains. I know I'll get there, but it just feels like such a process.

Thanks for these links! They look great.

They have been hugely helpful to me so far, and I hope they will be for you too!

Now, to figure out how to budget for it.

Yeah, that can be tough. If you have an extra freezer that helps because you can take advantage of sales and stock up. I also belong to a little ordering co-op where we buy things in quantity to get the discount, then split them up. You might check around and see if something like that is available where you live. I found this one through the local chapter of the Weston A Price Foundation. Even if your chapter doesn't have an ordering co-op, they might be able to point you to some purveyors of quality foods, both locally and online. Our locally owned health food stores tend to be cheaper than the big chain stores like Whole Foods. If I think of any other tips, I will let you know.

As I'm browsing the boards here, I'm also munching on my newly invented grain-free, dairy-free blueberry "cereal": blueberries (we buy them frozen at Costco), lots of chopped pecans, and a dollop of coconut milk. It's so yummy I do not miss the oats, flakes, and milk! :D

I actually prefer from scratch over prepackaged, so that shouldn't be a problem. I just am not in a very creative place right now, especially when so much of our diet has revolved around grains. I know I'll get there, but it just feels like such a process.

Oh, that's half the battle right there. You're going to do fine!

If your library has a copy of NeanderThin by Ray Audette (OOP), that has some grain- and dairy-free recipes in it that could help get you started too. That book was part of my recent inspiration to get off my butt and start doing what I needed to do for my health. The title might sound a little gimmicky, but it's a very good book. And the recipes I've tried so far were great.

We had to do an elimination diet last year on one of my dc and I have a gf whose son is a celiac. So, I can offer a few ideas. Those are some pretty wide allergies however.

rice. It will go with everything and stretch any meal

lentils

red beans

Can he do green peppers and other fruits like apples, bananas, cherries?

Avocado

alternative dairy like Almond milk, goat's milk (and goat cheese), Rice Milk, or coconut milk. Dd is highly allergic to cow's milk, but loves sheep cheese (Manchego).

How about fish? tuna, salmon, flounder, talpia?

White potatoes, squash, green beans, carrots, lima beans?

Peanuts? and peanut butter?

Eggs? egg salad, omlets?

I would plan simple meals around a meat, starch, and veggie. For example: hamburger patti with rice and green peas

tuna salad with mayonaise, green peppers on the side and apples

You might check out the ingredients in Purely Decadent ice "cream'. It is wonderful!! I prefer it to the "real" ice cream. It is made with coconut milk. Their products are glutein and dairy free.

Hang in there!! You will get into a patter and all will be well. Also, what about some snacky things like dates chopped up with carob chips and almonds? Bananas mashed and frozen?

Thanks for the encouragement and all the responses! I am sure we will get there in time, and I probably wouldn't feel so overwhelmed if money weren't so tight and we didn't have #5 arriving the 10 weeks +/-. :)

Mr. picky may just have to get over a few things, lol! He is probably my pickiest when it comes to fruits and veggies.

Bananas are good, forgot to put that on the VL list. Every fish they tested him on came back at least a 1+. Beef is literally the only fish/poultry/meat that he is VL on. We will still do the others, but I will have to be careful to rotate, since most are on the low scale.

Avocado, beets, garlic, green pepper, onion, spinach, string beans and zucchini are his 1+ veggies; and apple, apricot, blueberry, cranberry, grapefruit, pear and raspberry are his 1+ fruits. I'll just have to make sure to keep those rotated as well.

I am also fortunate that my family is fairly easy to please in the food department (4 yo sometimes excluded), so once we come up with some recipes, I know we'll be fine.

I was also thinking about emailing a bunch of organic/natural food companies and requesting samples/coupons. I have read about a lot of people have success with that online. Every little bit helps, right?

Oh, that's half the battle right there. You're going to do fine!

If your library has a copy of NeanderThin by Ray Audette (OOP), that has some grain- and dairy-free recipes in it that could help get you started too. That book was part of my recent inspiration to get off my butt and start doing what I needed to do for my health. The title might sound a little gimmicky, but it's a very good book. And the recipes I've tried so far were great.

No luck on NeanderThin at our library, but I'll try requesting it via interlibrary loan. I'm sure once I start experimenting with some new recipes, the ideas will start flowing!

Looking at your allergy list, you will need to avoid nuts and nut flours. I would coordinate closely with the Dr. on this one. Often they will put you in touch with a nutritionist to help you.

This one is confusing me a bit. His IgG response to pecans and walnuts is high, but his IgG response to almonds is VL and to peanuts is low. However, his IgE response to almonds, coconut, hazelnuts and peanuts is high and his IgE response to brazil nuts is undetectable. He's had all of these nuts and I am grateful to at least know that he doesn't have an anaphylactic allergy to any of them.

A nutritionist would certainly be helpful, but I don't think we can afford one right now. I think we will just have to go as basic as we can. Fortunately, we all like beans, and a variety of them, so that will help with our protein.

Just wanted to put in a word of warning- my daughter got diagnosed with a ton of allergies when she was two. It kind of ended up that we ate a lot of the same things over and over again. I relied heavily on nuts and corn, since she had no allergies to those and everything labeled "gluten free" is full of corn (pizza shells, crackers, animal cookies, pancake mix, etc). Snacks were often fruit and nuts, and sometimes even lunches were mostly nuts and fruits (peanut butter apple, peanut butter banana, cashews and salad).

We just got her tested again because she was having a lot of digestion issues. Turns out now she is highly allergic to nuts and corn. The allergist said that oftentimes people with a lot of allergies will rely too heavily on certain foods, and eventually end up allergic to those as well. Make sure you do a good rotation, because it's heartwrenching to have to tell your kid you have to take something ELSE away. My poor DD was in tears after the allergist told her that she can't have popcorn anymore. And then I had to go home and throw out her pizza shells, crackers, animal cookies and every type of cereal we had in the house. Not a happy day. Good news is her poop is coming out normal now, LOL. But what a price to pay!

Just wanted to put in a word of warning- my daughter got diagnosed with a ton of allergies when she was two. It kind of ended up that we ate a lot of the same things over and over again. I relied heavily on nuts and corn' date=' since she had no allergies to those and everything labeled "gluten free" is full of corn (pizza shells, crackers, animal cookies, pancake mix, etc). Snacks were often fruit and nuts, and sometimes even lunches were mostly nuts and fruits (peanut butter apple, peanut butter banana, cashews and salad).

We just got her tested again because she was having a lot of digestion issues. Turns out now she is highly allergic to nuts and corn. The allergist said that oftentimes people with a lot of allergies will rely too heavily on certain foods, and eventually end up allergic to those as well. Make sure you do a good rotation, because it's heartwrenching to have to tell your kid you have to take something ELSE away. My poor DD was in tears after the allergist told her that she can't have popcorn anymore. And then I had to go home and throw out her pizza shells, crackers, animal cookies and every type of cereal we had in the house. Not a happy day. Good news is her poop is coming out normal now, LOL. But what a price to pay![/quote']

Thanks for the warning. That is mentioned in the information that we received with his results, so I will make sure to rotate well. Sorry for your dd! It is so hard, and I haven't even gotten started yet. Trying to decipher ingredient lists is daunting, just one more reason I hope to do as much from scratch as possible. He loves rice, and we eat a fair amount of it, so that is one of the things I was concerned about getting too much of.

I faced this myself when my oldest was 2yo and I was pregnant with my middle dd. She was always breaking out in hives that sometimes got pretty scary - especially when they spread very fast and her face started to swell.

When we did allergy testing, the ONLY foods she wasn't allergic to were wheat, corn, and dairy. I think that was probably because those are the most common allergens, so I had done my best to keep those to an absolute minimum in her diet.

We had to go on a 5-day food family rotation diet for 6 months. Then we dropped to a 4-day food family rotation for 3 months and finally to a 4-day food rotation (rotated individual foods rather than food families) for 3 months. At that point, my dd no longer had any food issues that we could detect and she still doesn't have any issues to this day. We didn't do any more rotation.

The most helpful resources I found were:

Coping with your Allergies by Golos and Golbitz

Is This Your Child by Doris Rapp

Dr. Mandell's 5-Day Allergy Relief System

various allergy cookbooks

Websites that might be helpful:

http://www.food-allergy.org/rotation.html

http://www.nourishmd.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=260:elimination-rotation-diet-plan-&catid=206:food-allergies&Itemid=557

http://www.parentsofallergicchildren.org/principl.htm

Edited by AngieW in Texas

We had to go on a 5-day food family rotation diet for 6 months. Then we dropped to a 4-day food family rotation for 3 months and finally to a 4-day food rotation (rotated individual foods rather than food families) for 3 months. At that point, my dd no longer had any food issues that we could detect and she still doesn't have any issues to this day. We didn't do any more rotation.

That is very encouraging! Thanks for sharing your experience. I will check the library for the books you mentioned and take a look at the websites as well.

I must admit, I am a bit intimidated by the rotation diet concept, but I am sure it will be much easier once we get going.

You might check out the ingredients in Purely Decadent ice "cream'. It is wonderful!! I prefer it to the "real" ice cream. It is made with coconut milk. Their products are glutein and dairy free.

I agree, Holly! Purely Decadent coconut milk cookie dough flavor ice cream is incredible!