Menu

school items as Christmas gifts

My kids have gotten fun "school things" for gifts, including some really cool science stuff from my best friend. I've also given my oldest a few horse books, which we then used as part of a unit study - she was excited because of her love for horses.

I wouldn't hestitate to gift something that they would be excited about.

Soooo.... I won't be wrapping up the new spelling book to start come January. :tongue_smilie:

It depends on if they ask for them and if I think they will really enjoy them, as opposed to being unhappy about it being a "school gift."

I'm getting DD5 some science experiment kits because she just loves science.....I even casually ran it by her and she was excited about it. I'm also getting her a bunch of art supplies and a small easel. And also some more science type stuff like an ant farm, butterfly house, etc. I'm steering away from "regular toys" for the most part this Christmas.

I've always done it and my kids are pretty accustomed to it. It's always something educational that could also be "hobby" related though. I always make sure it's one of the "extra" gifts (They also get clothes, boots and such other things they need--why not educational gifts?) so it's not like that's all there is.

Last year youngest ds got a microscope. He didn't seem too thrilled at the time (but he had other gifts...) but has pulled it out since on many occasions and used it to look at things. I got him the blister microscope and he was just 5. He does seem to enjoy and knows how to use it too.

His older brother got a 10" Dobsonian telescope. He WAS thrilled! :lol: ALL the kids enjoy the telescope.

DD got a drawing book and my other ds got Equate (and DH got Planet Earth dvd's. :D)

Just make sure if it's going to be a gift, it's something they can use whenever they want. Make it something that won't require lots of parental supervision and be sure it doesn't have to end up in the school supply cabinet. That could take the joy out of it big-time right there.

then you have my crazy kid who is unhappy with her math program.....and I know we need to make a switch. She put a new math program on her Christmas list! LOL......she was even specific she wants Math U See because she likes the blocks! LOL! Dad saw that and went online and purchased it for her and it is all wrapped up in the closet! ==== we did get her other things and that did not take away from her Christmas budget. We were already planning on the switch but were waiting for the first of the year.

lynda

I'll do games and coloring books for them; the 'extras' that I don't have the money in the regular school budget to get. Last year they got some Noggin games and extra Dover coloring books....this year I got them a board game from RR (not really educational) and got dd Herd Your Horses....I think they're going to get a few other things from RR that are a mix of fun and education.

I guess it boils down to how you view education in your family. Yes, there are the obvious, "math book" kind of educational tools, but when exploration, curiosity and the joy of learning permeates your life, the separation between school and not-school blurs, and kids can get just as excited about something seen as school-related by some as they can by things most would not associate with school.