Menu

First Grade Science?

TXMary2

I did RSO (REAL science odyssey) biology level one and it was a "smash hit". It could be spread over the year. We plowed through it in 4 months, and then repeated the fun experiments and supplemented with 100's of read aloud and encyclopedia perusals.

This book is oversized, cheap, full of clear illustrations, has distribution maps to start orienting your child to maps, and a human figure or hand along side to compare the size of the animal. It is physically so big a book you can sit side by side and open it and it will cover both of your laps. We spent HOURS going through it.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Animals-JINNY-Johnson/dp/1845660943

Also, be sure to grow things. The bedheaded milk carton with one side cut down the two corners, but left intact at the bottom like a hinge for a ramp, then Saran wrap glued in, filled with dirt, flap-side back up and held with a rubber band for root viewing, e.g. was a screaming success. So was sprouting beans, etc in different soil and conditions to see how they would fair.

My son also loves having a bird feeder set so he can see them eat while he eats.

Field trips are easy to find for this year: Zoos, aquariums, wetland tours, etc.

Have FUN!

THere are a few options to consider. Of course there are the curriculum companies like Abeka and BJU.

Noeo level 1 or RSFK might be an interesting avenue.

Sandi Queen has some nature readers a la Charlotte Mason style (I've not used them so I cannot comment).

You might consider just going to the library and teaching to interest. You could do something with magnetism. There are bunches of fun experiments available on the web or in library books.

Or perhaps doing an ecosystem study. You could check out books on the rainforest and read about that, or the desert, mountains, plains, etc.

One Small Square books are very interesting. You can view them at Amazon.com.

I did a study on bees and honey when my oldest was in 1st. We checked out a bunch of books on the subject, went to visit a family that raised bees (who gave a wonderful presentation), tasted different honeys, and watched dvds about bees. It was very enjoyable.

Perhaps an animal study would be interesting. Or growing a small indoor garden to intro botany.

I would either chose an overall book, like BJU, or pick several Unit Study topics. Just make it fun.

There's Sonlight 1, Mr. Q's Life Science, Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey and K12 that I can think of off the top of my head. We are using the new version of SL1 which has actually been pretty good so far. I don't have any experience with the previous versions, but from what I understand, it's much improved. Hewitt Homeschooling also has a first grade unit study that focuses on science, I think it's called A Bee Sees.

Thanks. We have several of the One Small Square books that we are reading/using this year. We are mainly studying animals this year. Next year for First Grade I wanted more of a variety.

Are there samples of Noeo?? Also what is RSFK??

I no longer have my WTM book, what is the WTM science approach?

We started out with Abeka gr.1 science, and it took literally only 3 weeks to do...felt more like a preK program. For the rest of the year we are breaking each month into unit studies, weather, animals, geology, etc. and using books from the library (Yeah for Magic School Bus books!). A friend loaned me the Real Science for Kids Pre-Level 1 Chemistry book and it was fabulous. It is written so well that even my first graders could understand it and the experiments were very basic, but really fun. I will probably try to get the Biology Pre-Level 1 as well. The Apologia books are great too, but I could see my 1st graders getting bored with the same thing for whole year. The Christian Kids Explore Science series looks very interesting to me, I may do it next year.

Elemental Science has a great student book and TWTM version of science all planned for you.

TWTM science in a nutshell is to have a different spine encyclopedia for each section of biology: animals, plants, human body. You do each for a certain number of weeks, make notebook pages, do experiments and add additional reading from the library.

Carmen did a great job of explaining TWTM science in a nutshell, but I thought I'd expand a bit. The idea behind TWTM grammar stage science (1st-4th) is to introduce your student to the different disciplines of science and to get them interested in learning more. In an ideal world, you study biology in 1st, earth science/astronomy in 2nd, chemistry in 3rd and physics in 4th. Then you cycle through the same disciplines again in logic stage (5th-8th), going a bit deeper. So that by the time you get the the rhetoric state (high school), things like chemistry and physics aren't so scary. IMHO it's a great way to approach the study of science. If you want to learn more about Elemental Science (my company) and see samples, here's the link. Oh, and here's the links to NOEO and RS4K websites. Hope all that helps!

We used SL 1, and it had some negatives, but we still loved it. I believe that the issue we had with the experiments not lining up has been fixed. Another favorite for that age group would be the Real Science for Kids Pre-level Chemistry. Living Learning books had some positive points, but they need to update their booklist.

As previous poster’s stated, the library and an encyclopedia, along with a little imagination, can get you very far. Also try Janice Vancleave’s science experiment books, they are very good.

:)

I did RSO (REAL science odyssey) biology level one and it was a "smash hit". It could be spread over the year. We plowed through it in 4 months, and then repeated the fun experiments and supplemented with 100's of read aloud and encyclopedia perusals.

This book is oversized, cheap, full of clear illustrations, has distribution maps to start orienting your child to maps, and a human figure or hand along side to compare the size of the animal. It is physically so big a book you can sit side by side and open it and it will cover both of your laps. We spent HOURS going through it.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Animals-JINNY-Johnson/dp/1845660943

Also, be sure to grow things. The bedheaded milk carton with one side cut down the two corners, but left intact at the bottom like a hinge for a ramp, then Saran wrap glued in, filled with dirt, flap-side back up and held with a rubber band for root viewing, e.g. was a screaming success. So was sprouting beans, etc in different soil and conditions to see how they would fair.

My son also loves having a bird feeder set so he can see them eat while he eats.

Field trips are easy to find for this year: Zoos, aquariums, wetland tours, etc.

Have FUN!

Yes, this is what we are doing with RS4K Chemistry, and The Elements, repeating and finishing with added read alouds and encyclopedia perusals. This time, my dd is required to take notes and write up summaries for her notebook.

I agree, it easy to fit science in to your lifestyle. It’s all around us and children love to do science related activities.

Have fun! :tongue_smilie:

Carmen, in a nutshell...LOL. I love it, yup, that's it. :lol:

But it's hard for some to organize it for themselves, and actually keep up with a regular schedule....

Carmen did a great job of explaining TWTM science in a nutshell, but I thought I'd expand a bit. The idea behind TWTM grammar stage science (1st-4th) is to introduce your student to the different disciplines of science and to get them interested in learning more. In an ideal world, you study biology in 1st, earth science/astronomy in 2nd, chemistry in 3rd and physics in 4th. Then you cycle through the same disciplines again in logic stage (5th-8th), going a bit deeper. So that by the time you get the the rhetoric state (high school), things like chemistry and physics aren't so scary. IMHO it's a great way to approach the study of science. If you want to learn more about Elemental Science (my company) and see samples, here's the link. Oh, and here's the links to NOEO and RS4K websites. Hope all that helps!

Thank you! That does make sense. The Real Science 4 Kids looks fun!

CLE's 1st grade science is okay, while I haven't been impressed with the 101 book, Dot enjoys doing it, and can do it 100% independantly because the entire thing is review (colors, shapes, textures, etc.) We're using CLE for math & language arts as well, and if the science follows the same route, it should pick up speed in the following books.