Menu

Why Latin?

babysparkler

We're doing RS Latin1 this year. My reason is primarily for the vocabulary enhancing effects; I want the kids to recognize the Latin and Greek roots for our English words. I don't think I'd have them study it to the point that they were "fluent", I just want them to have a basic familiarity with it.

We'll pick another language to work on next year - maybe Spanish, which also uses lots of Latin roots, and that's the one we'll focus on as our foreign language.

It's hardly light reading but I highly recommend reading Climbing Parnassus: A New Apologia for Greek & Latin by Tracy Lee Simmons.

That said, I started my DD with Mandarin as her first foreign language because it's a tonal one and the younger she hears the correct tones from a native speaker, the easier it will be for her to learn it.

I'm planning to start Latin with her whenever I feel she's ready for The Latin Road to English Grammar.

We are using Latin for Children. I started Latin with my oldest because I had always been intrigued by the language and thought because my son was science oriented it would only help if he knew some word origins. Then, we all fell in love with the language. My 6yo loves learning as much as Huck and I do.

Here are some more articles:

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/whylatin.html

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/why-Latin-Greek.html

I agree with reading Climbing Parnassus: A New Apologia for Greek & Latin.

In addition to all the great things - SAT scores, vocab, English, prep for learning other language, Latin trains the brain in a way nothing else does.

It's an amazing language to learn!!

We are 3 years into studying Latin, and I am thrilled what it's giving my dc.

I took 3 years of Latin-7th grade, 8th grade, 9th grade. I had no choice. My private school required it.

To this day I just can't see the point of it.

I know it is a very popular option. It just did nothing for me.

I was/am an avid reader, amazing speller and have a huge vocabulary. I never attributed any of this to having taken Latin.

These were the benefits that appealed to me:

First of all, Latin phonics alone was a big help when my daughter was learning to read. I would just tell her something like use the Latin long "a" when she needed it to sound out a word. Just the vowel "a" makes several sounds, but the most common are:

short a as in cat

long a as in cake

Latin long as in wall or art

Latin short a as in idea or along

Second, I see the benefit of brain training and preparing my daughter to learn other languages.

Third, it is very beneficial for understanding the meanings of English words that one might come across while reading without a dictionary handy. Latin is particularly useful in medical and science fields of study as well.

Fourth, I would never have known that my daughter has a thing for languages if I had only taught her modern French, with which we started. She is now learning Koine Greek as well with Spanish on the back burner.

Fifth, you get to sound really wise and learn to talk backwards, kind of like Yoda! ;) I just had to throw that in....

The material point is that it trains the mind to deal with a highly complex and subtle system of information. Latin is not the only way to get at this, but it is one of the best.

And there is the aesthetic point. It is beautiful and fascinating, and much beautiful literature has been written in Latin.

And there's the historical point. Latin was used for hundreds of years as a universal language.

And there's the academic point. The greatest scholarly works have been written in Latin, and today, universities still highly respect those who can command Latin. (Why? Because it is indicative of a well-trained mind with great potential.)

And there's the practical point. Latin makes you a better thinker and writer, even if your job is merely concerned with the more mundane matters of profit and loss.

Oh, and if you want to go to law school (or if you think your child might), the rigors of Latin are the best prep for those of law school, at least according to some.

Of course, it still may not be for you, or your child. If you choose not to learn and/or teach Latin, it's okay, and I wouldn't blame you. But please don't say, I chose not to teach Latin because I couldn't see the point. The point of teaching Latin is pretty clear.

Edited by kes