Menu

Job Thread

Would it be helpful to start a thread for all the Boardies & Mr. Boardies looking for work? You could post what you/dh/dw does, what kind of work you/he/she's looking for, & maybe what region you'd prefer to stay in/move to.

And then if we hear of great openings, maybe we could help ea other out? I mean, what could be better than a WTM rec? And y'all know we know EVERYTHING here, so the good jobs are bound to be lurking here, too. :D

Count me in. My dh will be out of work in February (after 21 years). He said it's a weird feeling looking for work after all those years.

I too am trying to figure out what I can do to help. We will continue to homeschool the kids so I would love to try something at home or out of my home. I'm open to ideas.

While we don't want to move, we will move if necessary.

This is such a surreal experience.

Count me in. My dh will be out of work in February (after 21 years). He said it's a weird feeling looking for work after all those years.

I too am trying to figure out what I can do to help. We will continue to homeschool the kids so I would love to try something at home or out of my home. I'm open to ideas.

While we don't want to move, we will move if necessary.

This is such a surreal experience.

Rose, what kind of job is your dh looking for?

Aubrey,

what a great thread. My dh is unemployed since August. He worked in the construction field for over 12 years (glazing supervisor). It has been really hard on us, especially since he decided to go back to school. He wants to be a massage therapist. We have 6 more months to go, after that he contemplates to get his master in massage therapy. I honestly don't know how we can survive that long without an income - I am thinking to put ds into ps. But jobs are hard to get around here, even though I do have a bachelor degree. But I am in my mid-40's and out of the work force for the last couple of years due to hs ds (10). I have to confess, this has been the toughest year so far for us, and I am feeling more depressed than ever. Moving to a different state (we are currently in CO) is not a problem - however, not possible until dh finishes his school and receives his National Certification. So, I don't know what we can do.:confused:

Sonja

Rose, what kind of job is your dh looking for?

My husband is a heavy equipment operator although he has also worked in the stores department of the mill that's shutting down (he's at a pulp and paper mill). We are exploring other options though and I am trying to tell him to look at this as an opportunity to maybe do something different (although I do understand that after all those years doing a job it's hard to think of something different).

Thanks Audrey for starting this thread. I want people to keep posting what kinds of jobs you need. I live in an area with hiring still occuring and low unemployment. This is not a industrial area so those kinds of jobs, along with real estate, and construction aren't in high demand here. However, many other job sites are still hiring. Ask away.

Just adding my 1 cent (last year it would have been 2 cents) to keep this bumped up - my husband is a structural engineer and is making 1/2 of what he was making last year and only working 4 days per week, just to keep the company he works for going until things hopefully turn around. That is looking less and less likely. He is in his 50's and it is just not the time in life to be starting a new career. He was hoping to retire from this job and so is hanging onto it tenaciously.

Seems like many of the people out of work so far are in some way related to the building industry. For us, no jobs to design because there is nothing being built.

Thanks Audrey for starting this thread. I want people to keep posting what kinds of jobs you need. I live in an area with hiring still occuring and low unemployment. This is not a industrial area so those kinds of jobs, along with real estate, and construction aren't in high demand here. However, many other job sites are still hiring. Ask away.

I think this is common. I read a statistic the other day that said the unemployment rate among those with a bachelor's degree was less than 5%. The rates in construction and manufacturing are in the 15-19% range. And that are just those who are "looking for jobs" (ie. doesn't include self-employed people who have greatly reduced business.)

I can't imagine that anyone in manufacturing or construction could afford to live where you do anyway!:tongue_smilie:

Just adding my 1 cent (last year it would have been 2 cents) to keep this bumped up - my husband is a structural engineer and is making 1/2 of what he was making last year and only working 4 days per week, just to keep the company he works for going until things hopefully turn around. That is looking less and less likely. He is in his 50's and it is just not the time in life to be starting a new career. He was hoping to retire from this job and so is hanging onto it tenaciously.

Seems like many of the people out of work so far are in some way related to the building industry. For us, no jobs to design because there is nothing being built.

My dad is a plumbing inspector for a city in NC. They have been really slow and soon the work will be non-existent - the planning dept. (who gets involved 6-8 weeks before the permit is pulled) has NO business at all. This is in an area that is not as hard hit as other areas either!

Thank you for starting this thread.

My dh has been unemployed since the end of August. He is a certified project manager (PMP). He earned his MBA in 2001. He's worked overseeing cell site construction, managing projects, facilities maintenance & software training/implementation. He is looking to anywhere in the US (except NY and CA). We appreciate any leads or advice....

We are expecting baby #4 in April, so we pray that we can be settled before the baby arrives.