Menu

What am I doing wrong with math?

My twins are on a new concept in math. They are getting a ton of problems wrong (we use Math U See) but when I go and mark what is wrong, they both can fix the answer right away. I'm confused! Am I not teaching the concept right or are they rushing to fast with the assignment? I have warned repeatly and repeatly and repeatly to double check their work and it falls on deaf ears. I'm so frustrated!

Please help with some advice. Should I give extra worksheets on the days they are clearing messing up alot or is it me not teaching correctly?

One thing I have done when I think they are making careless errors is to NOT mark what is wrong. I tell them the number of problems wrong and make them find the mistakes. If I do this a couple of days, they will slow down and check for themselves.

Linda

Edited by Linda in TX
grammar;spelling

One thing I have done when I think they are making careless errors is to NOT mark what is wrong. I tell them there are the number of problems wrong and make them find the mistakes. If I do this a couple of days, they will slow donwn and check for themselves.

Linda

That is a great idea! I'll keep that one in mind for when my son is older.

One thing I have done when I think they are making careless errors is to NOT mark what is wrong. I tell them there are the number of problems wrong and make them find the mistakes. If I do this a couple of days, they will slow donwn and check for themselves.

Linda

Bingo! My son is 7 and this works well for him.

My kids always make mistakes when we start something new in math. They have this idea in their heads that it's going to be hard, and then they mess up.

I usually go over several problems on the white board with them, demonstrating how it works. When they seem to have the hang of it, I give them their assignment. They do their assignment and then get them all wrong! I mark the problems wrong and give the assignment back. I might go over the first problem or two with them to make sure they understand. They tell ME how to do the problems and get them right.

I say "See, it's not hard. You know how to do this." And then suddenly they get all the problems right.

It doesn't seem to make any sense to me, but this same thing happens every time.

I'm having this problem with Saxon. I find that dd starts to make "those" mistakes when she is tired, hungry or just tired of doing math. Saxon has 30 problems per lesson. If I break up the problems in smaller groups, she gets most right. But, if she sits to do a bunch of problems at one time, she will start to make careless mistakes.