Menu

Formal wear question

It's Ball season for the Marine Corps and it's time to put on our formal gowns and have a good time. Except that the gown I've been wearing for the past 5 years no longer fits. Making my search harder is that I'm a plus-size and on a budget. I've checked consignment shops and discount stores without any luck.

I'm finding a large number of holiday/prom-style dresses in shorter lengths in my budget, but am concerned that they won't be formal enough. Most of the plus-sized formal dresses are more like Mother of the Bride dresses that I just don't care for. I've found some full length gowns in my size, but they are pricey. I have a little money put away for a dress, but prefer not to spend my entire Ball budget on a dress.

My question is this: is a formal gown a full length dress or can a knee length gown be considered formal?

So, what says the hive (and the other Marine Corps spouses)?

Which uni is DH wearing? I see you are in VA, you should take regional tastes into consideration as well. Your area is probably going to be a lot more formal that where I am.

I'm an AF spouse, and the "Air Force Wife Handbook" states for formal balls, "...long formal gowns are always in style for formal balls. At present, short formals, tea-length gowns, and evening pants with beaded tops are also acceptable." This version is copyrighted 1992, so if anything, it's got to be more relaxed now. I think the point to wear the dressiest thin gyou can: be "sparkly" and look your very best -- dress in a way that no one would think you were just going out to dinner at a very nice restaurant.

Have fun!!!

Edited by BikeBookBread
regional comment

I'm an Army spouse but it is rare to see a knee-length or above the knee dress at a ball. However, slightly below the knee is fairly common, it doesn't have to go to the floor but you want something dressier than a cocktail dress.

Have you checked Sears? They often have decent, inexpensive dresses.

I'm an Army spouse but it is rare to see a knee-length or above the knee dress at a ball. However, slightly below the knee is fairly common, it doesn't have to go to the floor but you want something dressier than a cocktail dress.

I agree, and JC Penny is good also. Technically, anything after 6 PM should be floor length, but as long as it is not a mini dress and is 'formal' I say go for it.

At all our formals (AF) the dresses ranged in everything from prom dress (either worn by the wearer or maybe a sister the prom season before) to tea lenght dresses to true long formals. Last one I went to I wore tux type outfit. Tux like pants with a fancy top that had satin cuffs and collar. The age range is so wide at things like that (18yo to grandma's) that I think you can wear just about anything nice and fancy it up with a shawl, sparkly shoes/purse or whatever.

Which uni is DH wearing? I see you are in VA, you should take regional tastes into consideration as well. Your area is probably going to be a lot more formal that where I am.

I'm an AF spouse, and the "Air Force Wife Handbook" states for formal balls, "...long formal gowns are always in style for formal balls. At present, short formals, tea-length gowns, and evening pants with beaded tops are also acceptable." This version is copyrighted 1992, so if anything, it's got to be more relaxed now. I think the point to wear the dressiest thin gyou can: be "sparkly" and look your very best -- dress in a way that no one would think you were just going out to dinner at a very nice restaurant.

Have fun!!!

My husband is wearing his Dress Blues, which is their formal uniform.

The dresses I saw at the Ball last year were all very formal, although there were a few young ladies dresses as if they were going clubbing.

I did find a few shorter dresses that I was considering but didn't pass the "other than a nice dinner test" (I like that phrasing :)).

Thanks for the tip about Sears - I'll check them out this evening!

I agree, and JC Penny is good also. Technically, anything after 6 PM should be floor length, but as long as it is not a mini dress and is 'formal' I say go for it.

I agree with you that long gowns should be worn after six pm. My problem is finding a plus-sized floor length gown that's not too expensive. I checked Penny's but they don't have any longer dresses for bigger sizes this year. :glare:

At all our formals (AF) the dresses ranged in everything from prom dress (either worn by the wearer or maybe a sister the prom season before) to tea lenght dresses to true long formals. Last one I went to I wore tux type outfit. Tux like pants with a fancy top that had satin cuffs and collar. The age range is so wide at things like that (18yo to grandma's) that I think you can wear just about anything nice and fancy it up with a shawl, sparkly shoes/purse or whatever.

We see a large range of dresses at Marine Corps Balls, too. I've been looking at shorter dresses because many of the longer ones I've found are either body-hugging (which I don't consider formal or feel comfortable in) or prom-style (I'm 41 and look and feel a bit ridiculous in a ton of fluffly pink satin and chiffon, lol). I've been considering a long skirt or pants with a fancy top, but didn't know if that would be formal enough.

Thank you for your opinions! I've got a few more options to consider and a few more places to look. :)

A look I love (I'm 41 -- I wouldn't feel it was age-appropriate to wear a prom style either) is a long satin skirt in a dark color - dark blue, black, etc. with a fancy top. I think it is so much classier. Talbot's usually has these (pricey) but I bet you could find one on Craig's List or a consignment shop being so close to DC...

I'll second the skirt and top idea. A black velvet skit or maybe something more flowing. Paired with a sparkly top. The nicest thing about this is you can get just one different piece next time and look very different.

Is there a Talbot's outlet near you? I had good luck there when we were in DC. I've also gotten good items at JC Penny's and Dillards and even off the sale rack at Macy's and Nordstrom. Make sure that you ask if they have a women's section, which will have dresses cut very differently, even if they are marked as being the same size.

My answer on length would depend a lot on what command the ball is for and dh's rank. If you will be in the spotlight, then I'd put more effort into looking formal and sharp (which might mean a shorter dress that seemed more elegant rather than a long dress that didn't flatter you or seem special). If you are just one of many, then I'd remember that these events always have a huge range of dresses.

• 3 months later...

The rule-of-thumb I always heard during my 5 years as an Army wife is that it depends on which set of dress blues your DH is wearing. If they're the regular ones, the wife can wear a short cocktail dress. If they're the super-formal Mess ones that look like a tail coat, the wife has to wear a floor-length gown.