Menu

another question: liquid soap or bar in the shower?

for you, your dh and your kids?

My husband and kids use bar soap. The girls do so because I don't want them using those spongie things on their privates. I buy them pink or purple, girlie smelling soap for a reason. My husband and boys use bar soap. I converted to liquid when I realized how they use that bar, and they don't use wash cloths. :eek: Hence the girlie bar soap. But I have seen the girlie soap used from time to time when the boys didn't grab a new bar when theirs ran out.

I want to convert everyone to liquid but know the bottles would be used in NO time. They couldn't conserve.

I'm just wondering. :001_smile:

For my family it's bar soap and everyone gets a freshly washed washcloth for each shower. If you wish to switch to liquid, dilute it to 1 part soap and 3 parts water. Plus, teach them how much to use. I was annoyed with how quickly the liquid hand soap disappeared until I realized that the older boys did not realize they were using too much. Once I taught them the correct amount it doesn't disappear as quickly.

Liquid soap -- I like the Pamered Chef soap pump. You dilute the soap with water and when you pump the nozzle, it turns the soap solution into foam.

I find that a huge refill bottle lasts a really long time and you don't get the soap scum build up with liquid soap that you get with most bar soaps.

you don't get the soap scum build up with liquid soap that you get with most bar soaps.

I've heard/read that before (here, I think) but I don't find it to be true for us. I switched to liquid soap in both of our bathrooms, but my shower stalls and glass doors have as much build up as they did before.

Maybe we're just extra scummy? :001_huh:

I've heard/read that before (here, I think) but I don't find it to be true for us. I switched to liquid soap in both of our bathrooms, but my shower stalls and glass doors have as much build up as they did before.

What kind of liquid are you using? I quit using Dove liquid and the pinkish scum disappeared! There is something in liquid Dove that leaves serious grossness in my shower.

My husband and kids use bar soap. The girls do so because I don't want them using those spongie things on their privates. I buy them pink or purple, girlie smelling soap for a reason.

I don't think scented soap, or really any soap, is recommended by most gynecologists as being good for girls. Something to consider, spongie things or no.

What kind of liquid are you using? I quit using Dove liquid and the pinkish scum disappeared! There is something in liquid Dove that leaves serious grossness in my shower.

Most often we use a grapefruit shower gel from Whole Foods' 365 line, but occasionally my husband and older son use a scented shower gel for men.

Most often we use a grapefruit shower gel from Whole Foods' 365 line, but occasionally my husband and older son use a scented shower gel for men.

Strange! I do use a post-shower spray cleaner...I switch between Mrs. Meyers, Arm and Hammer and Method...all have worked well, but even equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle could help with this problem.

Maybe there's something in your water that makes it worse.

I switched to liquid soap (the diluted kind that comes out as suds) years ago and it has kept our showers SOOOO much cleaner, in three different houses, in three different geographical areas.

So that's why I'm wondering if there's something in your water that you could filter out.

I want to convert everyone to liquid but know the bottles would be used in NO time. They couldn't conserve.

I'm just wondering. :001_smile:

If you want to convert everyone to l;iquid a good idea is to buy empty travel bottles. I gave each of my boys a zipper mesh bag (from dollar tree) and put a travel size bottle of soap and one of shampoo. I also put in their tooth brush and deo. I give it to them going in and they give it to me going out. That helps me to make sure everyone is cleaning with soap cause I know my boys will just get wet and not wash. with travel sizes you can tell. Plus the younger ones cant waste as much.

We use liquid soap and a scrubbie. If you want them to conserve, you might consider buying a pump dispenser and instruct them only to use 1 pump and lather it up really well with the scrubbie (so it looks like a whole lot).

Bar soap gets goopy and grosses me out.

Well now. This has been an issue in my house. Some members believe that using soap directly on bare skin is not a sanitation issue by virtue of the bar itself being...soap.

I...I mean...other members...find this ubiquitous. But...these members also wash the soap itself periodically in the middle of a shower. Even though it is being used w/ a washcloth. So...some members don't have much room to talk, being a bit OCD anyway.

LOL