Menu

Will you please share with me your favorite freezer meals?

And any tips you may have for assembling, storing and cooking/reheating that you think will help someone who has never done this before.

My mom is feeling so poorly these days that she hates to spend much time in the kitchen. Still, she feels it is her duty to cook for my dad, so she struggles through it every afternoon.

I am driving down to visit on Wednesday afternoon, and I would love to fill her freezer with meals that are easier for her to prepare. My thought is to make individual meals in disposable aluminum loaf pans that she can pop into the toaster oven. No prep, and very little clean-up for her is the goal.

Thank you!

You're sweet.

My favorite is lasagna. I make a spinach one using lots of sauce, garlic, spinach, onions, with three cheeses. Cottage cheese (moisture), Parmesan, and of course mozzarella. During the winter, I bake two and take the one to freeze out before it finishes baking.

If you happen to have a Whole Foods For The Whole Family or World from LLL, they have a special section of meals that freeze well.

Also cooking batches of meat and then freezing them makes cooking later a breeze. This is one of my favorites too. Bread dough is another freezer friendly goodie to have on hand and really brings a lot of home made taste to any meal.

Edited by Tammyla

I just tried this a couple of weeks ago, and some of the things in my freezer now are lasagna, chicken spaghetti, tater tot casserole, chicken enchiladas, and ritzy chicken. I also plan to make and freeze some chili and broccoli and rice casseroles. In addition to the dishes I made, I went ahead and cooked ground beef for spaghetti and cooked and diced chicken breasts for easy meal preps later.

Hopefully I can get some more ideas from this thread too. :D

Most soups freeze really well. Not cream soups so much, though. You could always throw a chuck roast or a chicken in the crock and then separate it into meal size portions. Mashed potatoes freeze well. So you can make up your own TV dinners by adding a side of an already frozen veggie to the meat and potatoes.

Edited by LauraGB

We freeze a lot of soups - taco soup, three bean soup, veggie italian. Just thaw, heat & serve with tortillas or bread. I'm going to add chicken quinoa stew to that (never done it), and just leave out the quinoa until its thawed/heated (noodles would work too). Meatballs are a favorite too (more prep involved for a whole meal though). Mini meatloaves might be good for her - add one of those micro potatoes (PotatOH! I think) & bag salad, not much prep. Sometimes we just brown ground beef with onions & celery so we can toss that in something - tacos, slumgullion, "burritos" (we're too lazy to roll burritos, we just make a casserole lol) - again though, those require a bit more prep for a full meal. If you want recipes for any of that, lmk. We freeze everything in ziplocs.

Stuffed peppers in my first choice but we could eat that weekly if I could make enough of them.

One I like but don't have a recipe for it. Cooked chicken, broccoli/cauliflower/carrots, cream of chicken soup (or homemade variation), cheddar cheese, you can add rice if you like. Top with bread crumbs if you have them.

Crissy, more things will freeze than you think. I would find out her favorite meals and split them up into meal size portions and freeze those. The things that have been mentioned are all good, but you can adapt their favorites also. I also saw a show where they made food packets for things that didn't freeze well where at the beginning of the week they prepped all the food (chopped what needed to be chopped and measured into bags that are easily cleaned up, etc)

For the future:

Brown ground beef and chopped onion and a bit of garlic. Drain. Add canned tomato sauce and green beans, spinach or both. You can also add petit diced tomatoes if desired. Simmer till vegetables are tender. It should be like thick spaghetti sauce. Cool and freeze. When you want to serve it, just make mashed potatoes, real or instant ( or pop a whole potatoe in the microwave) and heat up the beef/ vegatable mixture. Plop a big spoonful of each on a plate. This is so simple and yet, so delicious. We eat it once a week and all love it. I NEVER don't have this in the freezer. Sorry I don't have amounts, just make it to taste.