Menu

Does anyone on here have a child that plays "Magic" cards??

My ds plays. My dh started playing with him and I don't have a clue what they are saying most of the time. My ds competes in the local tournaments, dh goes to supervise, and he does pretty well most of the time. It's my son's current obsession.

He's the youngest one competing at the tournaments and dh says he gets along well and has good sportmanship, so I like that it is teaching him to interact with people of all ages.

It's also cheaper and takes up less space than video games, his previous obsession.

My ds plays. My dh started playing with him and I don't have a clue what they are saying most of the time. My ds competes in the local tournaments, dh goes to supervise, and he does pretty well most of the time. It's my son's current obsession.

He's the youngest one competing at the tournaments and dh says he gets along well and has good sportmanship, so I like that it is teaching him to interact with people of all ages.

It's also cheaper and takes up less space than video games, his previous obsession.

Less expensive I'll give you, but how does it take up less space than video games? Our cards take up quite a bit more space than our video games. Discs can be consolidated into a small cd case and that's that. Our card box is a HUGE box where we keep all our board games.

Less expensive I'll give you, but how does it take up less space than video games? Our cards take up quite a bit more space than our video games. Discs can be consolidated into a small cd case and that's that. Our card box is a HUGE box where we keep all our board games.

My ds has a few (maybe more than a few) game systems and never consolidates the boxes. He's very particular that the games stay in the correct case. He's much neater with his magic cards and buys cardboard boxes for the extras and the decks are in special boxes. He even cleaned out one of his dresser drawers to organize his cards. So for us they take up less space.

My Christian and very conservative brother has played for years and only quit because of lack of people to play with. I tend to give advice on things like this by his standards since I'm atheist. If you are opposed to fantasy or mythology then you can just mark this in the "Bad" column and be done with it.

Basically each player takes the role of a magician - there are different colors of magic - black, white, green, blue, red. You have different types of cards, lands which generate manna and spells which either do something or call up a creature. The black creatures are rather dark like rats, ghosts, and demons, the white creatures include angels and heroes, the green are forest type creatures, the blue are water creatures, and the red are dragons and things related to mountains and fire. The play really depends on the cards you have - it has made me think that the creators were Tolkien fans - but maybe it was because my brother and I were.

The game is neither pro-Christian nor anti-Christian. It has nothing to do with the Christian Faith in any way, shape, or form. Nor does it have anything to do with politics.

Think of it as a rather refined and elaborate game of Battle (sometimes called War) where each player has a deck. Certain cards can defeat other cards due to card value.

Add in some elements of Bridge: some cards work with other cards, often in unexpected ways, to improve a player's chances of winning.

The language of the game is of spells, mana, casting, summoning, divination, etc. But none of these things are actually attempted by the players and, as with (for example) the magic used in Harry Potter, if a player tried to do such a thing they would be very disappointed (speaking as one who did practice magick for several years).

I would say it is no worse than a host of other pastimes that young people can get up to, and significantly better than many.

FWIW, it's good at teaching some long range thinking and resource management skills within the game and, if you limit their funds, resource management of the money they need to purchase and expand their collections.

HTH

FWIW, it's good at teaching some long range thinking and resource management skills within the game and, if you limit their funds, resource management of the money they need to purchase and expand their collections.

HTH

:iagree:My son has taken to buying packs and then finding extra cards to sell. Our local comic book store buys and sells cards. They use e-bay as one of their sources for buying so ds will get on e-bay to see what a card is worth. He spent 4.00 on a pack (I don't know how many are in a pack) today and found one card that is on e-bay for 7.00.

One of his new class projects is keeping track of his buys and sells. He sold 30.00 worth of the cards a few weeks ago.

Ds (14) is playing, and I was just wanting a general consensus. Since I wouldn't object to Harry Potter, I'm glad to hear this is along those lines. I was already considering the fact that it probably involved a fair amount of thinking (I'm too lame to even want to know how it's played). He is really enjoying it and plays weekly with a group of kids, as well as with my 25yo nephew and 28yo nephew when he gets a chance.