Menu

Homemade Yogurt People - a little help please

I've been fooling around with trying to make homemade yogurt and I've hit a wall. I need to make homemade yogurt turn out like Yoplait's Creamy Strawberry Yogurt. No Greek-style stuff for my brood. No plain yogurt. No fruit on the bottom stuff. They want all the yogurt pink and flavored throughout with no fruit chunks and they don't want Stoneyfield Farm thickness, they want Yoplait creaminess.

I have looked and looked at recipes and I don't see any that would make yogurt like what I'm looking for. Do you have any ideas?

I was thinking of trying to add strawberry gelatin to a regular, plain yogurt recipe and seeing if that works. What do you think?

Thanks for the help.

I wrote about how I make my yogurt on my blog, and if my kids were picky eaters I'd make it the same way, only I'd try adding red food coloring and strawberry extract when I stirred in the plain yogurt.

Thanks. I don't really need the red food coloring, but I did wonder if I could use strawberry extract. I might try that.

It doesn't really have to be pink, it just needs to have the flavoring throughout rather than plain yogurt with fruit chunks.

I make yoghurt several times a week. You will probably never get the same texture as Yoplait as homemade yoghurt is not that texture...it tends to me more viscous and thick rather than whipped and/or creamy. However, it all depends on what type of milk you use. For the creamiest yoghurt use half and half or whole milk. Also, if you want to avoid artificial colours and sweetners you can always flavour the mix with some flavoured stevia. Netrition (http://www.netrition.com) sells two brands of liguid flavoured Stevia and one of them has strawberry.

Wow, thanks for the other replies, ladies. I hadn't looked for this thread today.

I hadn't thought about using strawberry syrup...but that might work. The biggest issue is the flavor. No one in this house eats plain yogurt.

The second issue is the texture...for my sensitive child. He doesn't care for Stoneyfield farm yogurt, or my homemade yogurt - too 'sticky' compared to his beloved creamy strawberry yoplait.

When looking at the ingredients in yoplait, I noticed gelatin. That made me think of using strawberry gelatin as both a flavor additive and a texture fixer. But I haven't seen such a thing in recipes I've found online so I wondered what it might do.

I guess I'll have to experiment.

I got the idea from the Fage yogurt, when I went to the store to buy the plain, and they were out of it. There was a container, which contained plain yogurt, with a little plastic separate section which contained strawberry preserves.

After that, I just serve a little preserves on the side, once in a while, with the yogurt, and everybody is haaaapppyyy.

:)

When looking at the ingredients in yoplait, I noticed gelatin. That made me think of using strawberry gelatin as both a flavor additive and a texture fixer. But I haven't seen such a thing in recipes I've found online so I wondered what it might do.

I guess I'll have to experiment.

I haven't used this recipe yet, and don't even remember who passed this blog to me, but she mentions using gelatin http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html.

You might want to check the ingredients of the strawberry gelatin though- it might have red coloring (we cannot have red at all here).

I haven't used this recipe yet, and don't even remember who passed this blog to me, but she mentions using gelatin http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html.

You might want to check the ingredients of the strawberry gelatin though- it might have red coloring (we cannot have red at all here).

Ack. Just went to your blog and you're already linked. She does talk about using gelatin though (it's in one of her updates).