Menu

What does B12 do for you?

B12 is naturally found in meat, fish and dairy products.

Here's a link to a wikipedia article on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12

A cream that claims to have B12 added to it seems pretty odd to me. B12 is often a buzzword vitamin because people who take it for illnesses often report feeling more energetic, so lately it seems like a lot of energy drinks have B12 added to it and are marketed to showcase the B12 benefits. I've only ever heard of people ingesting B12 to get benefits from it. (I get injections once a month because I have pernicious anemia and can't absorb it into my system properly.) B12 has often been overprescribed in the elderly who complain of general malaise and fatigue.

I have no idea if the B12 in the cream would be helpful or harmful, or if the amount is so small that it would be inconsequential. Is your doctor prescribing this? Can you ask her for more information?

HTH.

Edited by RegularMom

If you are deficient in B12, supplementing can enhance your brain function. My friend said she can feel a difference with the nasal spray - her thinking gets immediately clearer. The creme doesn't work well for most, it needs to be given in another fashion. Couldn't hurt to try though; most people ARE deficient.

...most people ARE deficient.

All of the literature I've read on B12 deficiency state that most people are actually more than capable of keeping sufficient stores of B12 in their bodies, with the exception of vegetarians, particularly vegans, and others with certain medical situations that put them at risk for developing the deficiency. As long as people are consuming standard amounts of meat, fish and/or dairy products, their B12 levels should be fine.

Is there a specific study you can point me to that states most people are deficient? Just curious... thanks. :)

If you don't like the injections, there is one kind you can take that works. It's a tiny pill that you place under your tongue. It is slowly absorbed into your bloodstream, not swallowed quickly like a pill. If you aren't getting b12 from the foods your eating, (if you eat foods that have b12) you probably won't get any help from a pill you swallow, either.

Anyway, I was low on B12, started taking these, and my levels are now normal.

I get them in the vitamin section of Walmart.

All of the literature I've read on B12 deficiency state that most people are actually more than capable of keeping sufficient stores of B12 in their bodies, with the exception of vegetarians, particularly vegans, and others with certain medical situations that put them at risk for developing the deficiency. As long as people are consuming standard amounts of meat, fish and/or dairy products, their B12 levels should be fine.

Is there a specific study you can point me to that states most people are deficient? Just curious... thanks. :)

Perhaps it's just the circles I travel in that are deficient? I know I've read it somewhere but didn't keep the site (mercola I think? ) although I'm sure you can find it if you want. Most I deal with don't eat fish or dairy and limited meat so we tend to be deficient.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe there are different ways to test b12. The regular blood test panel usually won't reveal a deficiency, even if you do have one. You almost need to request the other test (I'm sorry, I can't remember what it is called) to find out if you are truly deficient. Signs of deficiency are tingling or numbing sensation, palpitation, vision probs (ie spots or floaters), vertigo...

If I'm not mistaken, I believe there are different ways to test b12. The regular blood test panel usually won't reveal a deficiency, even if you do have one. You almost need to request the other test (I'm sorry, I can't remember what it is called) to find out if you are truly deficient. Signs of deficiency are tingling or numbing sensation, palpitation, vision probs (ie spots or floaters), vertigo...

Oh wow.

Okay, I just googled because of what you said and what I'm reading here fits me almost to a T. :001_huh:

I'm a vegetarian (who also rarely consumes milk/eggs/cheese), I have a digestive disorder (gastroparesis), and quite a few of the symptoms fit too, explaining things I'd wondered about. (esp. numbness & bleeding gums as of late)

I don't have a family doctor to ask about shots and all that, but I can at least look in the supplement section and see what I can find.

Oh wow.

Okay, I just googled because of what you said and what I'm reading here fits me almost to a T. :001_huh:

I'm a vegetarian (who also rarely consumes milk/eggs/cheese), I have a digestive disorder (gastroparesis), and quite a few of the symptoms fit too, explaining things I'd wondered about. (esp. numbness & bleeding gums as of late)

I don't have a family doctor to ask about shots and all that, but I can at least look in the supplement section and see what I can find.

Same here. Took me a while (and a lot of dr visits) to figure it out. I had numbness all along the entire left side, from my face to my feet. I honestly thought I was having a mini stroke. And I only figured it out when some friends came for dinner in the midst facing a potential MRI (one of the tests my dr wanted to try) and she mentioned all this to me. Apparently she had had all the same symptoms I had, but she had spotty vision as well. Her dr gave her the "other" test and it was determined she had b12 anemia. She gets a b12 shot every month. I chose to take the same form of b12 (methylcobalamin) orally. I use the 1000mcg chewable tabs called B12 Infusion. I took one every day for about a week at first, and all my symptoms went away. So I take one once a week now, and so far, so good. It was probably a year ago that I started.

This is just my own experience. If you have some of those symptoms, you really should be seen just to rule out something more serious.

Oh wow.

Same here. Took me a while (and a lot of dr visits) to figure it out. I had numbness all along the entire left side, from my face to my feet. I honestly thought I was having a mini stroke. And I only figured it out when some friends came for dinner in the midst facing a potential MRI (one of the tests my dr wanted to try) and she mentioned all this to me. Apparently she had had all the same symptoms I had, but she had spotty vision as well. Her dr gave her the "other" test and it was determined she had b12 anemia. She gets a b12 shot every month. I chose to take the same form of b12 (methylcobalamin) orally. I use the 1000mcg chewable tabs called B12 Infusion. I took one every day for about a week at first, and all my symptoms went away. So I take one once a week now, and so far, so good. It was probably a year ago that I started.

This is just my own experience. If you have some of those symptoms, you really should be seen just to rule out something more serious.

Unfortunately, getting seen isn't really easy at this point - we don't have a family doctor yet (moved last year) because there aren't many here taking new patients. We're on a wait list thing for one that we *might* get to see in December.

Couldn't hurt to try out an oral supplement though - see if that changes anything. According to this there's no risk of "too much" of B12. :)

{or perhaps also try to eat more things that contain it. My eating habits are awful, mainly because of my broken stomach - but I could improve them *some*, I suspect.)

Unfortunately, getting seen isn't really easy at this point - we don't have a family doctor yet (moved last year) because there aren't many here taking new patients. We're on a wait list thing for one that we *might* get to see in December.

Couldn't hurt to try out an oral supplement though - see if that changes anything. According to this there's no risk of "too much" of B12. :)

{or perhaps also try to eat more things that contain it. My eating habits are awful, mainly because of my broken stomach - but I could improve them *some*, I suspect.)

In that case, you're right, it certainly can't hurt. I remember also having intestinal issues at that time as well, so its entirely possibly your gastric problems are either caused by it or are causing it. Fatigue, difficulty concentrating, difficulty sleeping, very cold hands and feet (I wore gloves inside sometimes), etc, were some other issues I had then, too.

After reading the article you linked, I remember now that I actually took 2 of those tabs each day for the first week; one in the morning and one in the evening. Then, I went down to once a day for a week or so, then down to once a week.

Hope that helps!

Yes, B12 deficiency is more common in vegan/vegetarian culture. My sister and her husband are vegetarians and they're careful to take supplements.

I have to get shots for my situation. Nothing else works. But it's totally manageable, so I feel lucky. Back when I was sick, though... ugh... not so lucky then. :)

Are you thinking of the Shilling Test?

If you suspect B12 deficiency, you could ask your doctor about having a Shilling Test done. It's not the most "fun" test around, but it's worth doing if you think you're deficient.

The item on a blood test that would alert a doctor to consider B12 deficiency is the MCV count. The MCV count shows the size of your red blood cells. If the MCV count is elevated (red blood cells are too large), that would be a red flag to check B12 and folate levels. If B12 levels and folate are low, then the doctor would order a Shilling Test to see how much B12 your body actually absorbs.

At least, this was how things progressed back in the early 90's when I went through all that. Some of it may have changed since then.

My symptoms were many and varied, including severe gastrointestinal problems, dizziness, poor balance, emotional instability, tingling sensations in my hands and feet, etc.

All of those symptoms have disappeared now, except for the tingling sensation in my toes. That looks to be a very small bit of permanent nerve damage. Ah well... it could have been worse.

Anyway... hope some of this helps you all. It's hard to get a good diagnosis for this one, because the symptoms are so common. Doctors usually like to think it's something else, and then something else, and then something else.... sigh....

I was quite the "interesting case" at the college health center that year, though. :)