Menu

Do I want a convection oven?

We're buying a new oven. We were at Sears looking at the Kenmore vs Kenmore elite. The Elite is a regular oven with a convection built in. I've never had one but "hear" it is popular. We are a family of 6 and cook all the time. My girls and I also bake a lot.

Do I want one? If you have one, do you use it a lot? What is the benefit really vs a regular over?

trying to figure out if its worth the money but dont want to kick myself in a few months for not getting it when I could have. Any opinions?

We have the Kenmore Elite w/the two ovens (one small, one large w/convection), gas stove and electric oven. I love my stove!!! I always wanted this model and ended up buying it new at a tag sale of all places. It was still $1500 though! I use the convection when I cook meat. It cooks it nice and evenly, and much quicker. I also use it to cook potatoes sometimes if I'm in a hurry as well. If you're looking at the 2 oven model, I use that option all the time. I like that I can use just the little oven when I have something smaller to cook or heat. And if I'm cooking something two different temps, or cooking a lot of items, that other oven comes in handy. Lastly, a lot of professional chefs choose gas top/electric oven because electric oven bakes more evenly but gas gives more control on top. We've had our stove for about 6 years and it's never given us one problem. I will definitely replace it with the same thing when the time comes.

I also have a Kenmore convection oven. I've had it for 2 years. It cooks things in 2/3 the time and everything comes out evenly cooked, especially when you use all 3 racks at the same time.

I need to get a built in and the space only allows a single oven. We are looking at the Kenmore (720) vs the elite (1384). If you have the convection, do you use both depending on what you're cooking? I only know that convections use air. Thanks for all the replies!!

I need to get a built in and the space only allows a single oven. We are looking at the Kenmore (720) vs the elite (1384). If you have the convection, do you use both depending on what you're cooking? I only know that convections use air. Thanks for all the replies!!

A good convection will have a heating element in with the fan. This makes the circulating air much more even.

I have this and love it. Mine isn't a built in though.

We have a GE Profile (with the element and fan combo thing in back...). I find it is very useful when roasting meats and or cooking casserole-type items. It definitely shortens cooking time.

On the other hand, I have found little benefit when baking breads, cookies, and cakes. Some have even turned out downright poorly: breads not rising as high as normal. I just never use it for baking.

It is great for getting your oven blazing hot. For pizza, I crank it as hot as it will go on convection (which I think is 550), and pre-heat the pizza stone, and get honest-to-goodness gourmet pizzeria brick-oven quality pizza out of it!

Yes, you do!

I have two convection ovens, both kenmore elite (one dual-fuel range & one wall oven). I use convection when I'm baking pretty much all the time. It makes awesome turkey fast! (& I say that as a person who doesn't even like turkey LOL; I got 'stuck' with the big family meals last year...my mil was stunned when she called me in the afternoon to check how things were going & I hadn't even put the turkey in the oven yet.)

Things bake faster and more evenly. Meats come out more moist. Mine has different convection settings for cakes and breads - I think it blows the air at a different speed on the various settings.

I'm happy with them.

What is the 5th element? I like that the elite has the "hidden" heat element, would make for easier clean up!

Ceiling has two, floor has two, and in the back there is a round one with the fan.

Mine can be used as a non-convection baker, but really, why? I use that feature whenever I bake. No more shifting of the bread pans or taking so long giving each pan of cookies its space, etc. First Thanksgiving I had it, I had to turn the heat way down as it was cooking at a gallop. Neighbor borrowed it to bake three shelves of potatoes, and was shocked at how fast it did it. I turn EVerything down by 25 to 50 degrees.

I have the Jenn-Air double convection ovens, and I love them. Well worth the money. They cook evenly and they cook more quickly. Mine has a rack that pulls out to allow you to get closer to heavy items before lifting them. It's also very easy to clean, but there are fewer crevices to get stuff stuck in, and the insulating wrap that is often on the door (that gray metal ring) is on the wall part, instead, so that the door can be completely cleaned.

Here's the one we have: http://www.jennair.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/JJW2830WS/

HIH,

Lisa

They sound so good, man I'd love one and wish they had been more affordable when my last oven went.

Shoot...I also wonder about replacing my toaster oven with a counter model. Sam's had one, I think a Wolfgang Puck (sp?) that looked good, but kind of big. Anyone have a counter model they like?