Menu

Aeronautical engineering schools

Quiver0f10

MY Uncle went to ER and loved it. I was just looking at them for my 10 YO. Early I know, but he's such a geek.

Purdue

Clarkson U

Here's a big search http://www.f1study.com/html/pgmid144.html

Here's the best ranking of Aero Eng schools in the US http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/aerospace

Edited by justamouse

Dumb question - is aeronautical engineering the same thing as aerospace engineering? One of my nieces went to the Rochester Institute of Technology and her major was aerospace engineering. She is now an Air Force pilot.

ETA: I googled it. They are the same thing.

Edited by LizzyBee

Dumb question - is aeronautical engineering the same thing as aerospace engineering? One of my nieces went to the Rochester Institute of Technology and her major was aerospace engineering.

ETA: I googled it. They are the same thing.

Yes, I wasn't sure what to call it. Thanks for the info everyone and links.

Edited by Quiver0f10

UMD truly has a great aerospace and aeronautical program and NASA Goddard is literally next door.

We visited there and the new head of engineering is the former head of the aeronautical department....a great guy. We met him during accepted student days and I think he will do great things for the engineering school.

I think OSU has a big program as well, but I haven't looked into it of late.

For what it's worth --

Best Colleges Specialty Rankings: Undergraduate engineering specialties: Aerospace / Aeronautical / Astronautical:

1 Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA

2 Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, GA

3 University of Michigan--Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI

4 Purdue University--West Lafayette West Lafayette, IN

5 California Institute of Technology Pasadena, CA

6 University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign Champaign, IL

7 Stanford University Stanford, CA

8 University of Texas--Austin Austin, TX

9 University of Maryland--College Park College Park, MD

10 Virginia Tech Blacksburg, VA

11 Cornell University Ithaca, NY

11 Princeton University Princeton, NJ

11 Texas A&M University--College Station College Station, TX

14 Pennsylvania State University--University Park University Park, PA

15 University of Florida Gainesville, FL

16 University of Colorado--Boulder Boulder, CO

17 University of California--Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA

17 University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA

19 University of Washington Seattle, WA

Unfortunately, I don't have the address for this list -- it came from a College Confidential thread on top aero/astro undergrad programs.

Edited by Gwen in VA

My dh is an aero engineer, and he also says good things about OSU's aero department.

And I was coming on to say that my alma mater, Ohio State University, has a great Aero Engineering program. OSU has their own airport too (is that normal for large colleges?)

Don't let the size of OSU scare you off either. The engineering classes tend to all be small in size.

Carole

And I was coming on to say that my alma mater, Ohio State University, has a great Aero Engineering program.

So, you're really a Buckeye, Carole? My ds' basketball coach was a Buckeye and named their league team the Buckeyes. My Gator-lovin' ds wore the red and white Buckeye jersey all spring. :tongue_smilie:

Lisa

My BIL went to Purdue for Aeronautical Engineering. One caution - it can be a boom/bust business. If a big contract doesn't go through, there are lots of layoffs. My BIL has been laid off at least 5 times in the past 17 years. Most of the time, he has been rehired (Gee, why isn't xxx getting done? They guy you laid off did that. Oh, yeah - hire him back.) But he is always watching the industry news to see who is getting contracts.

My BIL went to Purdue for Aeronautical Engineering. One caution - it can be a boom/bust business. If a big contract doesn't go through, there are lots of layoffs. My BIL has been laid off at least 5 times in the past 17 years. Most of the time, he has been rehired (Gee, why isn't xxx getting done? They guy you laid off did that. Oh, yeah - hire him back.) But he is always watching the industry news to see who is getting contracts.

Thanks. Definitely something to consider.

Go a bit further down the board and you will see a thread where I asked about Embry-Riddle specifically. I believe I cross-posted to the general board as well and got more info there.

FWIW, my son is more interested in physics at this time; if your child is looking for flight engineering and flight instruction, ERAU seems a better fit.