Menu

Calling All Bakers

I need a KILLER cake recipe. I have tons that are OK, but they taste like...homemade cake. Dd asked me to make a "bakery" cake for her upcoming birthday. When asked what she meant by that, she said "the soft kind of cake with sweet frosting that doesn't taste like much"...does this makes sense to anyone?

Does anyone have a really amazing cake and frosting recipe they could share?

Most embarrassing part, dh is a chef. And his response? "I don't bake."

Ugh...:glare:

Any help welcomed!

Kate

Any specific flavor? I have an amazing, but complicated dark choc fudge cake that's a scratch cake, as well as an white almond and a dense but super moist pound cake. But usually I just use a doctored cake mix. Use any cake mix, even a super cheap one from Aldi and add to it:

~4 eggs (or if using white cake, 4 egg whites)

~1/2 cup water

~1/3 vegetable oil

~1 small package of instant pudding mix (choc for choc cake, vanilla for

yellow & if you can find it, cookies and cream pudding mix for white

cake)

~1 cup of sour cream

It will make a nice thick batter. Bake as usual in a greased/floured pan. It will be super moist and delicious. People are always asking me for my recipe and rave about how good the cake is.

As for the icing, do you know if she wants buttercream or whip cream? Buttercream is what you typically find on a bakery cake but whip cream frostings aren't as sweet.

I can give some of the other scratch recipes as well if you pm me. hth!

http://www.prestoflour.com/Portals/TheArtOfBaking/portal.aspx?tabid=2 I use this all the time and it makes very lovely delicate cake. I use a regular butter cream frosting but up the amount of powdered sugar and add three tsp of corn starch to get that wonderful bakery type frosting with a bit of sheen to the exterior layer. This never fails.

I know exactly what she is talking about. Buy a nice Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines cake mix in the flavor of her choice and pick up a matching can o'frostin'. Don't sweat it...this is what most people think of when they taste "bakery" cake.... Havin' learned long ago never to take a real homemade cake to any public gathering....Betty Crocker is my baker of choice for these sorts of events.

Our favorites have come from either America's Test Kitchens or The Cake Bible. The German Chocolate Cake from ATK is un-be-liev-able. Seriously great. And so are the Cake Bible ones. (Eyes rolling back in head at the thoughts...) I find that I'm not a fan of any other kind of cake, including most bakery ones now. I've become a cake snob. :001_huh: And my thighs thank me. :D

This is my family's favorite cake and frosting! It's truly delicious, easy to make, moist, chocolaty, and wonderful.

:iagree:

In fact everyone in my family would agree.

I'm asked to bake this cake for all types of functions, it's also really good without frosting. Sometimes I do a design with powdered sugar on top.

It's funny because my husband and kids are vegan so when people eat this cake they're like "wow this is so good for a vegan cake" as if it's made with apple sauce and whole wheat flour. Just the cake part alone has 1/2 cup of oil and 2 cups of sugar! So naughty....so good!:D:

This is my favorite cake recipe...it is wonderful without icing, if I do ice I use a buttercream frosting (Wilton recipe). The original recipe calls for it to be baked in a bundt pan, but you can make cupcakes or use any pan, the cooking time will vary though since it won't be as thick. This is one of those recipes that everyone wants once they taste it..it is super moist!

Even though it's moist, it holds up very well in 3D cake pans. This is the recipe I use to make all my kid's birthday cakes.

Ingredients:

1 box "Moist" yellow cake mix or chocolate cake mix (depends on how rich you like it!)

2 small boxes chocolate instant pudding

4 eggs

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup water

1/2 bag of "mini" chocolate chips

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together (it's best to mix with an electric mixer), pour into a greased bundt pan, bake at 350 for 1 hour

America's Test Kitchen has a killer Red Velvet Cake recipe. Probably not what you're going for right at the moment, but it converted a friend of mine who claimed not to like red velvet cake! She ate two pieces, took several more home, and then insisted that her husband save half of the take-home pieces for her! Her boys (she has 4 who live with her) weren't thrilled to not get the cake lol.