Menu

Front loaders and getting laundry to smell "clean"

I have a front loading washing machine. I leave the door open to dry out the machine. I also will run the machine every so often with borax, or baking soda to clean it well.

Can somone please tell me how to get laundry to have a nice, clean, nicely scented, smell? I want it to have that nice smell of laundry detergent. But it seems that when I transfer it to my dryer, it loses that nice smell.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

The clothes just has this dull smell to it and I hate it.

Any ideas?

Hmmm, I don't have that problem with ours. I too leave the door open and about once a year I run a sanitary cycle with lots of bleach. The clothes have a nice smell when coming out of the washer, and I use a Bounce for the dryer.....always smells great.

What detergent do you use? We use Tide -maybe it's the detergent?

I run a very hot cycle once a week (white towels) to kill any bugs. I don't use a scented washing powder or fabric softener (we have a septic tank, so I have to be careful). I don't have a problem with smell, although husband has said that he'd prefer a scent, rather than neutral-smelling clothes.

Laura

Oh, I will check those sills. I wonder if that is what is causing it. I will also run a hot cycle. I never wash clothes in hot water so I can save on oil.

Thanks gals:D

As I don't use bleach, the hot wash keeps the white towels white, as well as looking after the machine.

Laura

you use powder detergent (very important to keep from building up gunk) and I personally think using less than recommended makes our clothes have a 'fresher' smell--not detergent scented, just cleaner.

The only way I can get that laundry 'scent' is to use a fabric softener in the dryer.

I've also noticed that the front loader doesn't give us that 'clean laundry' smell that I was used to--though they are always clean.

Yes, definitely check the rubber gasket/lining and under the window of your washer. It collects junk. I clean that out regularly.

We live in FL, and I have noticed that I have to run a cycle about once a month with bleach in it so that the clothes don't start smelling odd. I leave the door open, also, but if I don't do the bleach once a month, the clothes (especially dishcloths!) start to smell funky.

Are you using a HE detergent? We tried using a smaller amount of regular detergent, after reading online from "frugal" sites that that was okay, and it started to make our clothes smell. Once we switched back to HE detergent, they smelled a lot better!

A really good fabric softener that leaves the scent on the clothes is Gain. :)

Hey Wendy!

I have a box of Tide HE powder on my shelf right now. :) I know several of the detergent companies have HE powder options. You just have to really look for that oval with the "HE" in it on the box.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen the HE powder boxes in the larger, more economical sizes. They are usually in the medium size or small boxes...

I discovered after a year of having my frontloader and the water pump breaking that there is a filter in the front bottom area of my machine. If it gets clogged with money, paper ect. it may start to smell. I had to take of the bottom panel and clean out the filter in mine. This could be part of your problem. Good luck.

Dancer67, if your washer has a sanitary cycle, you really have to use it once a month or so to keep mold and mildew from growing. Is it a used washer or can you peek at the instructions? My instructions have a lot of info about how to keep it clean-smelling. I also dry the rubber seal around the front each time, and leave the detergent compartment open to dry.

As far as your clothes smelling like laundry detergent, though, that will never happen because the front loaders rinse so well. The clothes will just smell like....nothing. If your clothes DO smell like laundry detergent, you are probably using too much detergent (I only use 1 tablespoon) and then the washer would get all gunked up with detergent. Not pretty. Can you tell I've spent way too much time on laundry forums? :tongue_smilie:

Julie

I discovered after a year of having my frontloader and the water pump breaking that there is a filter in the front bottom area of my machine. If it gets clogged with money, paper ect. it may start to smell. I had to take of the bottom panel and clean out the filter in mine. This could be part of your problem. Good luck.

Mine will actually stop draining if it gets clogged up.

Be prepared for A LOT of water to come out it when you open it to clean it out.

I've had my front loader for about 7 years and I use the Melaleuca HE detergent and dryer sheets and my clothes smell fine.

Most of the main brands of detergent make an HE variety. Tide, Cheer, All, Gain, Arm and Hammer. Not sure about Surf, though. They have a blue HE on the front of the box/bottle.

6 years with my LE Front Loader that I just love!

It has never had a stinky day in its life.

I have used both liquid and powder. I have switched to Liquid Tide Free HE and I use about 1/2 the amount it calls for. Seriously, about 1 or 2 tablespoons is enough for most huge loads. Mine holds a seriously large load and I have found that the more detergent, the less clean my whites appear.

I know the seal area can get gunky as others have told you. Check the drain and have a towel handy as you get a fair amount of water that way.

You can also put hot boiling water from your teapot down the soap dispensor to get out any crud. If you don't want to do that, you can run a hot cycle with either vinegar or bleach. I've never done the bleach but I know that some do.

I took apart my LG this weekend as the front boot (the seal when you open door) had a tear and I decided to fix it myself. This is not a job for the weak, this was a hard job, but I was surprised how spotless my whole washer was on the inside, given that it is now over 6 years old. It had no mold or yucky stuff anywhere in it.

I do know the LG Repair man told me that less detergent, either tiny bit of fabric softener or none at all, and leaving the door open at night would prolong the life of front loaders.

I think others have given your great advice on what to look for. One last thing would be to look at the top of your seal, there is most likely a water valve there, you might make sure it has not gotten plugged up with gunk.

You know, I think it might be the detergent. I have heard many good things about Tide. And I always balked because of the price. Do you use a fabric softener in the wash as well??

No, I don't use a fabric softener in the wash, just the Bounce in the dryer. Probably most of the clean laundry smell comes from that.

My front loader was bought new, but it is about 7 years old now. It is a GE Profile. I do have the instructions, and actually, I think there is a sanitary cycle on it so I am going to check that out.

The "laundry" smell would make sense sice it does rinse clothes very well.

Okay, this is on my agenda tomorrow.

Thanks for all the tips and help!!

I have that gunk buildup in the gasket on the door, too. I just clean it off now and then.

I use Tide and vinegar in the softener dispenser. The Tide smell stays, and the vinegar acts as a deodorizer and softener - no need for any dryer sheets. Don't worry, the clothes don't smell like vinegar.