Menu

Would you count this as a day of school

nukeswife

We're having trouble fitting in art and music because we're out of the house most of the day on Wednesday which means I really only have 4 days during the week to fit in the core subjects of Language Arts, Math, History and Science. We do a little LA and Math on Wed, between gym classes so I do count that as a school day which means we are logging 5 days a week, but I was thinking of doing Music and Art only on Saturdays. Would you count that as a school day, essentially making school 6 days a week or would you count that and Wednesday as 1/2 day each?

Just curious to know what others would do. I don't have to log days, but I like to keep in practice of doing it because we're military and I never know where we could end up and what the laws would be there regarding logging days/hours.

We're having trouble fitting in art and music because we're out of the house most of the day on Wednesday which means I really only have 4 days during the week to fit in the core subjects of Language Arts, Math, History and Science. We do a little LA and Math on Wed, between gym classes so I do count that as a school day which means we are logging 5 days a week, but I was thinking of doing Music and Art only on Saturdays. Would you count that as a school day, essentially making school 6 days a week or would you count that and Wednesday as 1/2 day each?

Just curious to know what others would do. I don't have to log days, but I like to keep in practice of doing it because we're military and I never know where we could end up and what the laws would be there regarding logging days/hours.

Probably not. We're supposed to school fro 172 days with an average of 4 hours/day, so I would just count those toward my 4 hour/day average.

Well, since sending my 3 oldest back to ps and hearing what THEY do in a day...I'd count just about anything as a day :tongue_smilie: Assemblies, fund raiser kick-offs, soccer instead of math b/c the kids did well on a test, movies in English class, etc. I would count it...but that's just me. Learning happens all the time around here so I count most days as school days even if we don't pull out the books...unless of course they are sick and watching TV all day. Just my .02.

I would put it with Wednesday, BUT... our local ps will add half days if they're short days by the end of the years. According to them, they only have to 'school' until lunch for it to count as a day.

So, I guess, keep track of them, add them to your hours (if you keep track of those) and then if you end up short of days use them :)

Of course, check your local laws first.

I keep a record of what we do every day, like which chapter we read, which math pages we do, etc. If you did that, then at the end of the year you could decide whether you needed to use the short days as school days or not. Last quarter (July - Sept) we did 40 days of school, but 17 of them were actual curriculum days and 23 of them were enrichment days where we did field trips and such. I had a baby in September and we did a lot of off the beaten path learning while I was very pregnant and then when my parents were here. I don't have to count days or report anything I do in our state, but if my husband asked me how many days of school I put in, I would have an answer for him. :)

Well, since sending my 3 oldest back to ps and hearing what THEY do in a day...I'd count just about anything as a day :tongue_smilie: Assemblies, fund raiser kick-offs, soccer instead of math b/c the kids did well on a test, movies in English class, etc. I would count it...but that's just me. Learning happens all the time around here so I count most days as school days even if we don't pull out the books...unless of course they are sick and watching TV all day. Just my .02.

Amen! :lol:

I'd add it onto Wednesday. I'm assuming that the reason you lose so much of Wednesday is because of having different children in different classes. In that situation, I'd either work with the other child (Hobbes and I do Mad Libs and Logic during Calvin's guitar class) or catch up on Saturday (as you suggest) but count it as part of Wednesday.

FWIW I do count PE as part of our school time, but I don't include travel time or time waiting for a sibling: those times I use or compensate for.

Laura

I keep track of what we do every day. I use a check box system, I have the date in a column to the left the subjects going across the top, including sports, free reading, crafts, field trips as well as core subjects. I just check off what was done that day and put the number of hours at the end of row. Sunday, for example, will typically have reading and piano practice checked for a total of an hour that day.

Edited by Tam101

We do math, grammar, phonics, spelling, Bible, and history on M-Th. Then on Friday we do PE (something structured), Art, Science, Bible and History. I used to not count this as a school day b/c it was so different from our normal days but then I realized...PE is a subject, so is Art, so is Science...just because they are not the 3 Rs does not mean they are not important...and shouldn't count. :)

just my 2c