Menu

For quite some time now I have known that I needed to embark on a journey of self-education. On the old boards I even posted about it a few times and received great encouragement, ideas and support. I purchased TWEM, read the first section and bought Don Quixote and then haven't done much else other than wait for a good time.

I have come to realize that there will never be a "good time". Life will always be busy and there will always be things to compete for my time. For me it has got to be a choice of my choosing between good and better. The things that are occupying my time are good (for the most part) but often not the best.

To be honest, I think it's partly fear that has held me back, too. I am fearful of taking a risk and failing. :confused: I have come to realize that while I always made great grades in school I am one of those who validated the system. And the system I was in wasn't great. I, to this day, don't know how to really read a book and engage it well. I am not a good thinker; I am a good doer. College wasn't really that much better - except for one philosophy class my sophomore year. I was never challenged to think and still graduated with high honors. :001_huh:

As far as homeschool is concerned I searched "self education" on the boards and read a post by one of the board members I really respect saying that self education is a much more important endeavor than constantly worrying about making future plans that may or may work, researching curriculum and such. Guilty, guilty, guilty. I am a planner and researcher to the max - sometimes to the exclusion of doing b/c I am so busy researching! The best thing I can do in preparing for the future of our homeschool is grow myself in the areas where I am weakest. This is not a condemnation of how anyone else is doing things. I just knew there was truth in her post that really hit me just where I am.

Okay, therapy session over...:tongue_smilie:

Here is where I think I am going to start:

I am going to start Don Quixote and work through the other recommendations in TWEM.

I am going to learn how to play chess b/c it's not just books that I need to work on. I have always shied away from strategy games b/c of the thinking factor, too. Dh loves chess and I know he'll be happy to teach me. It will be something fun we can do together.

I also am going to work on geography. This is not a thinking thing but honestly I am tired of reading news stories and wondering, "Now where is that country again?" Ds8 has a puzzle map and I am going to work on one continent at a time until I can fill in an empty map with all the country names.

I know that there is much more I will need to do in the coming years but this seems doable for now. I don't want to start too big and then feel frustrated that I am trying to do too much. I know that in the not so distant future I need to study an advanced grammar program and start my own in depth study of history as well.

Any suggestions? Tips? Thoughts? Encouragement? Feedback would be appreciated!

I don't have any tips or thoughts, but plenty of encouragement. Now that you have figured out what to study it is just a matter of staying focused on it. I wanted to start with Don Quixote but then realized that I would never have time to read it along side my college courses, so instead I am starting with improving my vocabulary using Vocabulary from classical roots.

I am going to start Don Quixote and work through the other recommendations in TWEM.
The only thing I would suggest is perhaps interspersing some more "classically" pleasurable fare in with the more literally weighty tomes -- though don't get me wrong, I loved Vanity Fair. :D I've got much mileage out of Classics for Pleasure by Michael Dirda. If not for this book, I would never have read Thomas Peacock, Willa Cather, Sheridan Le Fanu, or even M.R. James.

Edited to add:

I just added my Sheridan Le Fanu to my "to read/re-read" pile. Darned pile is getting dangerously high. :eek:

Edited by nmoira

I am like you in that I did well in school and college without much effort. Home schooling has showed me how much I never learned. I am embarrassed by how much I don't know.... geography being a big one!

I love the Setera geography game. I downloaded it (free) for my kids but play it daily. I finally feel like I have a handle on the major countries now. I will try to link it but if it doesn't work, google setera download.

http://www.wartoft.nu/software/seterra/

Oh, wow, you have really come up with a plan. Best wishes in your endeavor.

I usually self-educate by getting into something my kids are studying or will be studying in the upcoming year. I get excited because I'm finally connecting the dots, and then I want to read more & more!

I totally agree about the quality of education I got, and I graduated back in 1976. I had the most lame courses that taught absolutely nothing -- trying to be "relevant" to teenagers :huh:

I totally thing the geography is worthwhile at all ages, all times. We do a lot of Geo. with MFW, but I've always had trouble with Africa. I am going to try some cards I got on the Hannah_hs_helps Yahoo group, where I study one country at a time. Her cards have the name on one and the map with the one country colored in on the other. Simple, big, and I hope it helps! We also have lots of geography games, which do help, but somehow Africa eludes me.

Julie

That is awesome. My sugestion is echoing what SWB says which is to read first thing in the morning. GIve yourself 30 minutes to read. Don't feel guilty about taking the time to do this. THink of it as exercise for your brain. Make it a priority. On the other hand, if things get hectic and it doesn't happen don't beat yoursef up. Just do it the next day. Even if you only have 15 minutes, that's still 15 minutes more than not doing it.

Any suggestions? Tips? Thoughts? Encouragement? Feedback would be appreciated!

About the geography: I'm learning a lot from Audio Memory's Geography songs. I woke up the other morning singing the Southern Border of the United States :001_huh:.

You can do this! I'm working on Latin, Math, & History, and plan to add in English grammar soon. I realized I can't teach what I don't understand, and there is a lot that I don't understand. I learned to work the system in school (even got a full scholarship), but now I'm really ready to learn.

I hope this will encourage you:

Self-education is not just about preparing yourself academically to teach your dc later. That is great, but it is not the most important thing a mom with her nose in a book does for a family. The most important thing a self-educating mom is doing is being a role model.

My dc don't question the rigorous educational goals and expectations we (dh and I) have for them, because we model the same thing in our own lives. It is so much easier to teach dc who are already convinced that leaning is a necessary and usual part of any productive day. It is so much more enjoyable to homeschool dc who are thirsty for knowledge.

We always say that you only have to do two things as a parent: establish a relationship and then model what you want for your dc. So easy, right? :lol: It does mean, though, that I don't have to be conflicted when I am sitting on the couch with my feet up and a book in my hand, because my husband values it as time well spent for our family, and I attract dc with books in their hands.

As moms, we (correctly) put our family first. It is easy to think this means neglecting our own intellectual life. As homeschool moms, though, our intellectual life is not our own, but a capital investment for our family.

Self-education, like you are already realizing, is the BEST use of my time: (1.) I can only pour out what I already have. A teacher with a knowledge of the subject area will always be a better teacher than one without. (2.) I am a great role model for my dc when I am learning.

I don't have any tips or thoughts, but plenty of encouragement. Now that you have figured out what to study it is just a matter of staying focused on it. I wanted to start with Don Quixote but then realized that I would never have time to read it along side my college courses, so instead I am starting with improving my vocabulary using Vocabulary from classical roots.

Thank you for the encouragement! I just re-read the first section of TWEM and saw where SWB recommends Vocab from Classical Roots. Funny thing is that I took a class in college called "Latin and Greek Elements in English" but the (very old) professor was always so busy waxing poetic on his past accomplishments/trips/adventures that he forgot to ever teach much. His lectures would always start off with the best of intentions but not 10 minutes in would be completely off-track. It was so bad that the highest grade in the class (of 500) was something like a 50. He curved all the grades up so that I ended up with an A in the class even though I didn't learn a thing! I think a good study in vocab would be really useful to me in the coming months.

The only thing I would suggest is perhaps interspersing some more "classically" pleasurable fare in with the more literally weighty tomes -- though don't get me wrong, I loved Vanity Fair. :D I've got much mileage out of Classics for Pleasure by Michael Dirda. If not for this book, I would never have read Thomas Peacock, Willa Cather, Sheridan Le Fanu, or even M.R. James.

Edited to add:

I just added my Sheridan Le Fanu to my "to read/re-read" pile. Darned pile is getting dangerously high. :eek:

I just went to Amazon to read about this book as I was unfamiliar with it before. Thanks for the recommendation. I am adding it to my wish list and will look forward to adding some of those books to my future readings.

I am like you in that I did well in school and college without much effort. Home schooling has showed me how much I never learned. I am embarrassed by how much I don't know.... geography being a big one!

I love the Setera geography game. I downloaded it (free) for my kids but play it daily. I finally feel like I have a handle on the major countries now. I will try to link it but if it doesn't work, google setera download.

http://www.wartoft.nu/software/seterra/

Thank you! Much more fun than studying a puzzle...and right in my budget - free! :D

You can do this! I'm working on Latin, Math, & History, and plan to add in English grammar soon. I realized I can't teach what I don't understand, and there is a lot that I don't understand. I learned to work the system in school (even got a full scholarship), but now I'm really ready to learn.

Thanks JudoMom. I so resonated with the part I put in bold. I cannot give what I do not own and that is what has driven me (in a good way) to this point. I want so much more for my boys that what I was given, educationally speaking. And honestly I want more for myself as well!

Self-education is not just about preparing yourself academically to teach your dc later. That is great, but it is not the most important thing a mom with her nose in a book does for a family. The most important thing a self-educating mom is doing is being a role model.

My dc don't question the rigorous educational goals and expectations we (dh and I) have for them, because we model the same thing in our own lives. It is so much easier to teach dc who are already convinced that leaning is a necessary and usual part of any productive day. It is so much more enjoyable to homeschool dc who are thirsty for knowledge.

We always say that you only have to do two things as a parent: establish a relationship and then model what you want for your dc. So easy, right? :lol: It does mean, though, that I don't have to be conflicted when I am sitting on the couch with my feet up and a book in my hand, because my husband values it as time well spent for our family, and I attract dc with books in their hands.

As moms, we (correctly) put our family first. It is easy to think this means neglecting our own intellectual life. As homeschool moms, though, our intellectual life is not our own, but a capital investment for our family.

Self-education, like you are already realizing, is the BEST use of my time: (1.) I can only pour out what I already have. A teacher with a knowledge of the subject area will always be a better teacher than one without. (2.) I am a great role model for my dc when I am learning.

Angela, this was really helpful to me and very well said. Thank you for taking the time to share; it was a huge encouragement.

Just an FYI, for any of you that are on Facebook, there is a game in the apps section called GEOCHALLENGE. It is so fun! I was so addicted to it. The free game is the world game. It includes country names, capital cities, the flags, and famous landmarks. There is also a US state version, but I think you have to pay for that one. I only wish you could get it without having to be on facebook because we got rid of it (long story:glare:)... the kids and I just miss the game!

I have come to realize that there will never be a "good time".

To be honest, I think it's partly fear that has held me back, too. I am fearful of taking a risk and failing. :confused: I have come to realize that while I always made great grades in school I am one of those who validated the system. And the system I was in wasn't great. I, to this day, don't know how to really read a book and engage it well. I am not a good thinker; I am a good doer.

Whoooohooooo!!! Way to go! I love reading threads like this. I posted a couple of times in the last few months about things I am doing, too. And the part I quoted above? That is me, too. I was never really taught *how* to think and how to read and write. And that is so frustrating to me now, but the only thing I can do is to start studying, no matter how messy it is at the beginning. I also feel like there are so many things I should have learned in school and didn't, that I feel like I juggle all the time now. "Latin? OK, figure out third declension, so I can help ds. Phew, got that done. Next, what does transitive verb mean? Ok, done. Read the King Arthur stories, so I can talk with ds about it. Figure out how to use the lit. discussion questions. Understand the next math concept. Find a primary source to read and discuss (what's a primary source again?). Try and remember the propaganda techniques in the critical thinking book (not doing so great on that, but ds is, so he helps me). OK, now how do I lead ds through the scientific method? And how do I help him compare different readings on the same topic? OK, must read through the next Vocab from Classical Roots lesson and figure out the answers before he gets to it." And so on. But I am learning, bit by bit.

All I can say is, way to go, and keep on going! It's fun and rewarding. And I get pretty much *all* of my encouragement in this, here on the boards.

I know that in the not so distant future I need to study an advanced grammar program and start my own in depth study of history as well.

Any suggestions?

I started not knowing grammar at R&S 5, so that's where I started! :) And actually, I haven't found (so far) grammar to be super hard, even with learning new concepts. I study it with ds - he reads the lessons aloud, I stop him when I need a minute to absorb what is being said, we might talk a bit about it, and then he goes through the exercises orally. While he does that, I do them in my mind to challenge myself, instead of mindlessly looking at the answers as he says them. So far (part way into R&S 6), this has been enough for me.

History - I just wrote another post on a similar thread a few minutes ago - it's probably still on the first page of the board. I'm basically using the WTM logic stage (2009) suggestions right now. I'm getting an overview first.

Just do it, sister! :001_smile:

I too was a good student. But I didn't feel like I got much out of school in terms of skills to continue my education on my own - certainly not the skills that I needed to read the "Great Books" or write or think about or sort or grapple with unquantifiable ideas in a meaningful way. (Ah Descartes - who would have thought that I could identify with Mr. Cogito.) I tried to start with Don Q. Several times. I constantly stalled out with that book. So don't make that title your make-it-or-break-it step into self-ed. You might love it; but if you don't, suffer no guilt in setting it aside and picking up something else.

I too did well in school, so the Teaching Company series have worked well for me. Maybe you could see if your library has any of them. Lots of subjects. Great reading suggestions to go along with each lecture. Having someone there to point out things that I might have missed has just made the whole process move along faster for me. Most of what I have learned through those lectures has eventually shown up somewhere in my reading journey. So you don't NEED a talking head in order to self-educate. BUT I'm not in an academic environment - other than the one that I generate around here. So it is helpful to me to have someone who is pointing me in the right direction as far as books to read and publishers to explore. The Teaching Company has helped me immensely.

"Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition" reaches across the Great Books in the broadest sense.

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=2100

But I have found the series by Grant Voth to be extremely accessible as well. So he might be a great place to start.

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/CourseDescLong2.aspx?cid=2300

There are lots more. If your library has them, you might just peruse the shelves and choose something that looks interesting. :001_smile:

Of course, you don't need them either. The books contain the ideas. The lectures contain people talking about the ideas and what other people have thought about the ideas. Not always the best way to objectively sift things. True. But they have helped me to generate memorable pegs to hang things on; the classroom thing really fits my learning style.

Anyway. Rambling. Sorry. The best thing to do is to just start. Just do it! You'll flounder. Of course you will. :001_smile: No problem. When you bump into a dead end, just turn around and head toward the light. The whole process has made me more empathetic toward my kids. ;) And who knew? I've learned a few things along the way. VERY rewarding!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Get at least one other "book about books" to give you a "catalog" to browse through. SWB's book is excellent, but a bit light on more modern works, and they have value too. I just did a blog post on books about books, and review a bunch of them, so you might want to check it out (link in my sig).

The second thing I'd suggest is Teaching Company dvds/cds. They can get you excited about reading the works and take advantage of small spaces of time. I've enjoyed the dvds, but also think the cds have value for listening in the car or walking the dog. We've been listening to a new one in the car, "The Art of Reading" and found it really good for laying out the elements of literature in 30 minute digestible lectures.

Danielle

I tried to start with Don Q. Several times. I constantly stalled out with that book. So don't make that title your make-it-or-break-it step into self-ed. You might love it; but if you don't, suffer no guilt in setting it aside and picking up something else.

I had that experience, too. So I moved on to Pilgrim's Progress, which was a little easier for me.

So you don't NEED a talking head in order to self-educate. BUT I'm not in an academic environment - other than the one that I generate around here...The Teaching Company has helped me immensely.

Aha! You've put something into words for me! I sometimes crave to be around other people who like to talk about ideas - to not just read about them. So when I had the Teaching Company physics series out of the library a few weeks ago, I watched a few (then had to return them because there were 18 holds), and it WAS nice to see and hear someone else talking about ideas! I cut out fabric, ironed fabric, but I was listening and watching and was fascinated. It was so nice compared to talking about the weather or the latest home remodel project or whatever.

I just did a blog post on books about books, and review a bunch of them, so you might want to check it out (link in my sig).

Danielle,

I very much enjoyed your blog post on books about books. I love books about books and have read or heard of most of the ones you mentioned. And I'm waiting for my library's copy of Beowulf on the Beach to arrive.

I'm going to be on the lookout for Michael Clay Thompson's Thinkers. That one I hadn't heard of.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Kareni

Whoooohooooo!!! Way to go! I love reading threads like this. I posted a couple of times in the last few months about things I am doing, too. And the part I quoted above? That is me, too. I was never really taught *how* to think and how to read and write. And that is so frustrating to me now, but the only thing I can do is to start studying, no matter how messy it is at the beginning. I also feel like there are so many things I should have learned in school and didn't, that I feel like I juggle all the time now....But I am learning, bit by bit.

All I can say is, way to go, and keep on going! It's fun and rewarding. And I get pretty much *all* of my encouragement in this, here on the boards.

Colleen, thanks so much for the sweet words. I have always enjoyed reading your posts and to know that you feel like you were in the same boat I find myself in is a great encouragement to me! It reminds me that I can do this...especially with the help of the great people on this board.:001_smile:

Just do it, sister! :001_smile:

I too was a good student. But I didn't feel like I got much out of school in terms of skills to continue my education on my own - certainly not the skills that I needed to read the "Great Books" or write or think about or sort or grapple with unquantifiable ideas in a meaningful way. (Ah Descartes - who would have thought that I could identify with Mr. Cogito.) I tried to start with Don Q. Several times. I constantly stalled out with that book. So don't make that title your make-it-or-break-it step into self-ed. You might love it; but if you don't, suffer no guilt in setting it aside and picking up something else.

I too did well in school, so the Teaching Company series have worked well for me. Maybe you could see if your library has any of them. Lots of subjects. Great reading suggestions to go along with each lecture. Having someone there to point out things that I might have missed has just made the whole process move along faster for me. Most of what I have learned through those lectures has eventually shown up somewhere in my reading journey. So you don't NEED a talking head in order to self-educate. BUT I'm not in an academic environment - other than the one that I generate around here. So it is helpful to me to have someone who is pointing me in the right direction as far as books to read and publishers to explore. The Teaching Company has helped me immensely.

"Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition" reaches across the Great Books in the broadest sense.

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=2100

But I have found the series by Grant Voth to be extremely accessible as well. So he might be a great place to start.

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/CourseDescLong2.aspx?cid=2300

There are lots more. If your library has them, you might just peruse the shelves and choose something that looks interesting. :001_smile:

Of course, you don't need them either. The books contain the ideas. The lectures contain people talking about the ideas and what other people have thought about the ideas. Not always the best way to objectively sift things. True. But they have helped me to generate memorable pegs to hang things on; the classroom thing really fits my learning style.

Anyway. Rambling. Sorry. The best thing to do is to just start. Just do it! You'll flounder. Of course you will. :001_smile: No problem. When you bump into a dead end, just turn around and head toward the light. The whole process has made me more empathetic toward my kids. ;) And who knew? I've learned a few things along the way. VERY rewarding!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

And a huge thanks to you as well, Janice. You too are one of the ladies who I "haunt" on the boards. I love to go and find all the things you've posted on various subjects and just absorb it all.

Thank you for the support, encouragement, information about The Teaching Company and the links. I will be checking today to see what all my library carries. I am hopeful as I can check out for the Harris Country system (Houston) and they are an amazing resource!

Get at least one other "book about books" to give you a "catalog" to browse through. SWB's book is excellent, but a bit light on more modern works, and they have value too. I just did a blog post on books about books, and review a bunch of them, so you might want to check it out (link in my sig).

The second thing I'd suggest is Teaching Company dvds/cds. They can get you excited about reading the works and take advantage of small spaces of time. I've enjoyed the dvds, but also think the cds have value for listening in the car or walking the dog. We've been listening to a new one in the car, "The Art of Reading" and found it really good for laying out the elements of literature in 30 minute digestible lectures.

Danielle

Danielle, thank you as well. I am very interested in "The Art of Reading" lectures. My library doesn't have them :sad: but they are on sale at the Teaching Company's website for almost 75% off for the DVD version. In your opinion would this be a worthwhile investment or could I gain the same information elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Jennefer,

If you want to be extremely gentle on yourself you could get a high school literature curriculum and simply work through it yourself. I have learned so much from my kids' lessons, even at the elementary level (geography, history, etc.).

Another thing that comes to mind is from Oliver Van DeMille's A Thomas Jefferson Education. He has a suggested program in the appendix of the book which could get you started. You are given a choice of these books to start off with:

The Chosen by Chaim Potok

Little Britches by Ralph Moody

Laddie by Jeanne Stratton-Porter

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

The Lonesome Gods by Louis L'Amour

Van Demille states, "Just pick one, the one that sounds the most interesting, and read it." I like his approach because it is much less intimidating than reading Don Quixote to start off.

Another approach you could take would be to listen to books on tape. I use an Ipod so I can listen while I am doing housework. In this way I have tackled (and immensely enjoyed) Dickens, Austen, and Eliot. The time savings is unbelievable - whether you are driving, gardening, or cleaning bathrooms, you can achieve your self education goals.

Good luck on your self-ed journey! If you want more details on the TJ Education (I currently have it checked out from the library) send me a PM.

Dana

Forgot--the same info is probably available elsewhere--Mortimer Adler's how to read a book, for example. But the ability to "time-shift" or make use of otherwise mindless time, like driving in the car, makes the Teaching Company audios valuable for me. As to the videos, we've used those as "lectures" and a way to learn to take notes. Both versions have their uses.

Danielle

What a wonderful thread. I made a good start with self-education when my daughter was in 7th and 8th grade, but the demands of her sport on top of homeschooling pushed everything else aside. I can now say with confidence that her academic skills are better than mine and I have been re-inspired to catch up.

I am already an avid reader, but looking through Clifton Fadiman's book, I realized that I am quite well-versed in 17th and 18th century literature, and not so well-versed in classical literature. I am slowly working my way through the Illiad now. With the structure of a classical education in mind, I am planning to return to Rod and Staff Grammar (I made it through grade 8 and stopped half-way through grade 9) and then move on to Memoria Press's Traditional Logic course. I don't think I can look much beyond that now.

Except that I love maps and loved to do historical maps with my daughter when she was younger. Maybe I'll pull out out old World History Map Activities work book tomorrow!

I've been listening to audio books over the past year while I go on my daily walks (which have been put on hiatus due to a new baby and cold weather). I have listened to some classics that I had never read and really enjoyed them. I've also read some good non-fiction before turning out the light. I only get about ten minutes of reading before I am too tired to concentrate, but I've still gotten through two formidable books.

I do have TWEM and found it very enlightening. I wish someone had given me that book at the beginning of high school or at the beginning of college at least (though I doubt it was in print back then). I read a lot of Cliffs Notes in order to get through school because I was lost in the real text. Now I've read a few selections cited in TWEM and am very proud of myself for not just getting through them but actually enjoying them. For me, the key was listening to the audiobooks while I went on my daily walk. It gave me something entertaining to do while I walked as well as a sense of accomplishment when I finished the books.

My latest brainstorm is to work through the Ambleside Online selections starting with year 11 and working backwards. I love their curriculum because it is challenging, and I think it would really broaden my horizons. It would also span more than just literature, which is where I spend most of my time. It might take me more than a year to get through each "year" of AO, but it would be an interesting challenge. It would start with easier selections, too, since they would be from the 20th century rather than something in the language of long ago (which I find harder to get through and sometimes blame as why I stop my reading "plans").

I'm glad to see this thread and know that there are others with great plans as well.

• 1 month later...

I think I'm going to print this out and hang it on the wall.