Menu

Car Schooling suggestions needed

jg_puppy

My ds will be starting speech therapy soon. The therapy sessions are about an hour drive from our house. I would like to find some things we can do in the car that are educational. My kids are 6.5 and 9 years old. I have Story of the World Vol. 1 on CD. I plan on buying some Bible songs on CD that were recommended on another thread recently. The audio section of our library is very small, but I do plan on looking there for some literature books on CD. I will probably end up buying a few as well. Do you have any favorites that we should consider? Also I love the idea of lyrical science, but my dd doesn't like it. She says it sounds too babyish, but I think my son would like them. I would love to find a great science related CD that they could both enjoy.

Jan

Jim Weiss has some great stories on cd, too. He's the one who reads SOTW, and if you check his site, you can pick ones from the part of history you're studying. I like these Questions with Answers, by Dana Dirksen, if you're wanting Christian ones. http://songsforsaplings.com/ We've found them to be wonderful. There are three volumes of about 20 or so questions and answers.... and good music, too.

Check your library for the Weiss cds, too, because ours has some of them...

Carrie:-)

We were given ( lucky us) stap on dvd players for the car, we only use them when we travel, but they have been amazing. That and a Netflix account and we have covered lots of good PBS Documentaries and Science kind of dvds. I use Story of the World and I'm able to suppliment with appropriate movies.

Again we only use them " on the road' and not about town.

I know this is an expensive suggestion, but we have had and used ours for 4 years and it's been a great piece of educational equipment. ( A day without a good rationalization is a day wasted ;))

Good luck with the therapy too. :)

~Christine in al

When I was little we used to listen to "Adventures in Odyssey" by focus on the family (Christian obviously). They are about 20-30 min episodes each. We loved them! They are a short story/show that generally ties into a Bible story or verse or principal. I don't know if they still have them, but if they do, it might be worth looking in to.

We used to listen to The Teaching Company lectures when we did long drives. The kids were pretty young at the time, like 1st and 2nd grade. But I was surprised how much they picked up just by listening in.

I wasn't really listening to them for them, but rather for myself, just to learn some more background for the history we were studying. But, for example, I caught the kids using the specific names for Roman army weapons, which they'd heard on the lectures.

You might find that your library has some of these.

Have you investigated the possibility of getting a library card in the town where you will be going for therapy? They might have a different selection than your home area library. If you're going there frequently enough, you should be able to get them back in time.

My boys do a lot of flashcards in the car. I also practise French with them - just chatting over the vocabulary and structures that they already know. They also are fine reading in the car - they don't get car sick - so they read their assigned books. Otherwise, we listen to serious news programmes and classical music.

Best wishes

Laura

My 9 year old has a road travel book with activies and she uses that when we drive here and there and loves it. Now she is looking for different plates on cars which is easy since we live in a military/college/touristy town. The kids and I have enjoyed the Johnathan Parks CDs. Music for kids and me and any other story on tapes. Clipboard and crayons because I have been known to stop on the side of the road and be like look we talked about that lets check it out. Practice math facts and counting. We did have dvd players for the van but they fianlly died on us and we use to use Netfix as part of our learning. There is a book about carschooling. I want to say the title is Carschooling. I found it at the library last year right before our two day car trip to visit family.