Menu

Christmas gift ideas/simplifying the holiday but still keeping it fun!

I am at a loss about what to give my children for Christmas. I know it seems ridiculously early but I'm prengant, due next week and want to get as much of the holiday stuff settled before our babe arrives.

Here's the issue--over the past two years we have been giving away lots of toys that we have found don't warrant the space they take up. I'm fairly satisfied now with the number and kind of toys my kids have, and they seem to have plenty to play with--especially since they like to build, play sports, read, or run around outside. They also like to put on plays and to make huge messes with art supplies. So we have legos, a big block set, kapla blocks, a play kitchen, costumes, board games and sporting goods.

I don't want anymore stuff! And they don't need it. There are a few outdoor things I can see giving the kids -- the older 2 would like skimboards and new wet suits for example --but they are things for use later in the year.

So what I really need to think about is finding them things--1 each would be enough or something really nifty for the group-- that they can play with Christmas morning--things that will be exciting to receive, and that they can enjoy right away.

Any advice?

A computer game? Like Zoo Tycoon--you make a zoo and have to take care of the animals--for example, you have to buy a strong fence for the lions, or they'll get out. You have to put together the right habitat for each animal; you can choose what type of grass and plants and shelters go in each animal exhibit (you can tell if they're the right choices, because the animals make little happy faces if they like the plant/grass, etc.) The game is only $10 at Walmart. I think Walmart had Zoo Tycoon Ultimate (for $10), which includes sea animals and dinosaurs as well as regular zoo animals. My 4 and 7 yo love it and I spend hours playing it when they're in bed, so it appeals to all ages.

A computer game doesn't take up space, and they can all play together making decisions about what animals to get.

After several posts here, I'm contemplating these as a joint gift for my DDs:

http://www.kevaplanks.com/

But generally, I'm in the same boat you are. I'm hoping to slow Christmas down this year too. We started out doing Christmases that were not gift-heavy. Somewhere along the line we got off track with that, mainly because my family tends to give money/gift cards rather than actual gifts, and I wanted the girls to have actual presents to open!

I love the rhyme Strider quoted and I think I'm going to make that my thing from now on. I tell myself that every year, but this year, I'm going to stick to it! :D

ETA, what about an experience gift? A zoo or museum membership, or something like that?

Magazine subscriptions, with the note tucked into the first one? My 9yo loves getting Highlights, Puzzlemania and Ranger Rick (they were gifts from grandma). There are other titles for younger kids.

For small toys, additional small lego sets don't have to take up much room and can be exciting/add a new dimension to existing legos.

A set of playsilks? http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=68

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'm fairly satisfied now with the number and kind of toys my kids have, and they seem to have plenty to play with--especially since they like to build, play sports, read, or run around outside. They also like to put on plays and to make huge messes with art supplies. So we have legos, a big block set, kapla blocks, a play kitchen, costumes, board games and sporting goods.

I don't want anymore stuff! And they don't need it.

Any advice?

You're describing my house exactly! I personally like things that build skill and/or imagination. I really like a theme gift for the kids. Here are some that I've done in the past and some that I'm considering this year.

Woodshop for Kids with a real set of tools (list in the book) and some scrap wood. This book would be wonderful for your two older boys, especially.

Puppet Theatre with some of the supplies called for in the book and some play silks (w/Mom's help, for DD5 and DS3)

Made By Me with sewing basket for DD5

Cooking With Children and some real cooking equipment (I'm doing this one with DS6 for his 7th birthday, as he loves to cook.)

Nature's Artbox and/or Nature's Playground with some additional crafts supplies

Do they have puppets? My kids LOVE puppets! Folkmanis are the best!

Here's a good one for your older boys also... Steve Caney's Ultimate Building Book.

Also, DS6 wants a magic set and a costume. I think that's going to be a for sure. DH taught him a few card tricks and my little introvert became quite the family entertainer.

Other stuff on our to-buy list that is somewhat school related...Snap Circuits, a Magiscope/microscope, lab sets. Those could be Christmas gifts also.

For DS3, I'll get another add-on booster kit for our block sets. I'll probably add to our Schleich/Papo collection for him also.

I'm planning early too. I'm really looking forward to this Christmas!

ETA: I'm afraid what I've given you isn't so much a list of items specifically to play with Christmas morning as gifts that would hopefully warrant the space they take up! I'm sorry I focused more on the first half of your post than the last. Please disregard if the suggestions don't work! Hopefully they'll help someone. :)

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Would they like something like Hyperdash? Even the 3yo could play that and it is a good way to run off some energy in the house in a controlled way. Or a Bop It. What about something remote controlled? They could set up obstacle courses for each other to navigate through. Or a puppet or marrionette. A set of magnets with different colors and shapes that can be used to make pictures.

We got our kids a Wii...it has been a great family activity. We love all the variety of games to choose from as we all like different ones...golf,yoga,jet-ski,Shawn White snowboarding, bowling and many more! I, like most moms, get frustrated with all the excess in toys. We are now at ages(12 and 14) where they don't play with a great deal of toys(in the past, we played with Legos, Lincoln logs, mags, hot wheels, Thomas the Tank and Rokenbok) and all the pieces within each of these drove me crazy but we got many many hours of fun out of them. The Wii has given us a fun family activity with little clutter!

Would they like something like Hyperdash? Even the 3yo could play that and it is a good way to run off some energy in the house in a controlled way. Or a Bop It. What about something remote controlled? They could set up obstacle courses for each other to navigate through. Or a puppet or marrionette. A set of magnets with different colors and shapes that can be used to make pictures.

What is Hyperdash? I just tried to search for it but can't find anything...

Thanks for the great ideas.

IT's funny how many of the suggestions we already have (playsilks, blocks from barclayblocks, even the ultimate building book). Great minds sometimes really do think alike.

If you are still on the fence about keva planks, I say go for it, mellisel. My kids have a huge set of kapla blocks (very similar--one size planks) that are the best toy for older kids ever. Little guys like them too--they make great fences, etc.--but the three older ones have made some amazing things with them. They are a favorite when kids come over.

Please keep the ideas coming.

With the exception of two laptops for mom and dad, we screen-free around here. But boy my children would flip over a Wii! The start up costs would be rather high for us, though--we'd need to get a tv and move things around to make a place to put it. I've been tempted, but I think not this year.