Menu

Please suggest a style of dress for a somewhat overweight woman in her late 40s.

I need to buy or make myself a dress (or dressy pants suit) for MIL & FIL's upcoming 50th anniversary reception. I never wear dresses except for occasions such as this, or funerals and weddings, so I would prefer something that has a classic look (won't go out of style) as opposed to trendy, and if possible, something that could be worn in all seasons. A light or medium-weight fabric would be wonderful.

As for my body type, I am 5'6", long-waisted, mostly proportionate (my hips & bust are about the same measurement, and I do have a defined waist), but I am about 40 pounds heavier than I'd like to be. I carry my extra weight all over, but I am most self-conscious about my tummy and my thighs. Oh, and my upper arms, so 1/2 or 3/4 sleeves would be great! Or sleeveless with a 1/2 sleeve or 3/4 sleeve jacket.

So, what kind of dress or pants suit would you fashion-conscious folks recommend for me? Keep in mind that money IS an issue, so think economical too! Please post links to pictures!

ETA: Forgot to say that I generally wear a size 16, but sometimes I can wear a 14. I've found a couple of 14W things (usually the plus sizes start at 16W), and they were too big.

Edited by ereks mom

http://www.roamans.com/clothing/Ruffle-Front-Dress.aspx?PfId=165422&DeptId=13985&producttypeid=1&PurchaseType=G&pref=ps

Do you see how this dress shows that she has a figure, even though it's not tight? This is so important to not looking chubby. Anything that hangs straight down will make you look bigger, I don't care how many plus size dresses are cut that way! I would stay away from the floofy arms for that same reason. I think fabric is really important too. If a fabric is very thin and flexible, it will show every bump (think satin, silk without a good liner). Fabric that is a bit more substaintial, or that has a more structured liner, will be much more forgiving.

Good luck!

http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=50434&CatID=51368&GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=16fe537&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=50434|50444&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=8&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=50434|50444|51368

Oy that's a long link-sorry.

It's a little black dress but it skims over everything that you want skimmed. Or, something with this kind of styling -a twist or knot at an empire height, then falling away. Yo just want to make sure that the front isn't pleated, otherwise if you have a bit of tummy you can look pregnant. But if you have a pair of Spanx that could remedy the tummy. With a great pair of heels and a necklace, any body shape should be able to rock this style.

For my Dad's funeral, I just bought myself a nice black skirt at Sears that is made to be slimming. I am a size 14-16 as well. I got a dressy sweater-type top at Macy's to go with it (on sale). For both pieces, I paid about $50. A nice classic black skirt can take you many places and I like that I can change out the top if I want to look less like I am going to a funeral.

If you have a Dress Barn near you, you might be able to find what you are looking for there. My mother-in-law has had luck there as well as Coldwater Creek but there are pricier. Try Cato as well...not as good quality but she has found some things there as well when she needed to in a pinch.

If you have a Dress Barn near you, you might be able to find what you are looking for there. My mother-in-law has had luck there as well as Coldwater Creek but there are pricier. Try Cato as well...not as good quality but she has found some things there as well when she needed to in a pinch.

Thanks!

So pretty, but 14W (smallest size) would be too big! :(

I am just about your height and weight and it sounds like we have the same proportion.

Recently, I went into Ann Taylor Loft and the saleswoman who greeted me promptly directed me to the Women's section. Women's sizes have always been too big for me but I guess she couldn't tell that by looking, lol.