Menu

Homemade Christmas gifts (food or whatever) ideas?

I have always loved the idea of making homemade gifts, but usually think of it two weeks before Christmas and by then, forget it. So, maybe I'm early enough this year? I'm thinking mostly something that my girlfriends, sisters, etc. would appreciate. I'd like something unique; I'm willing to put in a good effort if the finished product is nice (but not overly time-consuming). I like Martha Stewart ideas (but, man, some of the materials used in her crafts are so expensive that it would mean I'm actually spending more on a homemade gift than I would a bought one), stuff on etsy, etc. (not big into country). Any ideas or resources to point me to? I have basic sewing skills, am a very beginner knitter and that's about it. I can follow instructions well, but am not creative on my own. (What else do you need to know about me? LOL)

ETA: I guess my title is a little misleading -- I'm mostly looking for something that isn't edible, but if there's a really good food-related idea, I'm open to that, too...

One year I got into making homemade soaps. It was very easy. There are a lot of sites out there with step by step instructions.

:iagree:

We received a gift of soap made from a craft kit (the clear type). It was really great! I was surprised how much we all liked it. BTW it was made by an 8 and a 9 year old!

To the soap you could also add a knitted washcloth. Each cloth uses one ball of cotton yarn (like Sugar n Cream, which costs around $1.50) and you could match the colors of the soap and the cloth. This link is for a dishcloth but I think it would make a nice washcloth. I'm a beginning knitter and was able to knit this cloth. HTH

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/static?page=free-patterns-from-sugar-n-cream

the soaps sound nice and I'm sure you could use your imagination with scents, shapes, etc.

Any other ideas??

Or good resources/magazines, etc. that always seem to have great ideas? I'm aware of the typical ones in the stores, but maybe there's one that's not well known that's great? (Again, looking for more modern ideas rather than country).

Last year I made earring and matching bracelet sets for all the women in the family. I also make mini-scrapbooks of events for people. For instance, I just made two little paper albums of my sister's kids' birthdays to give her for her birthday. For the teachers, bus driver, etc., I made mini loaves of different breads and wrapped them in pretty cellophane and ribbons.

I had someone make me a pretty rice-filled bag to heat in the microwave. It is about a 1 1/2 feet long and is divided into sections so the rice stays distributed. It also has a cover that slips off for washing. I use it for headaches or to wrap it around my neck when I have to go out in the cold or to warm my feet in bed. I overheated it several times so it is starting to have a more rice smell but I have been using it for 3 years now. I need another one maybe even longer length.

I am not a great knitter, but I am making lots and lots of very basic scarves this year using interesting yarn that I have picked up on sale. I'm making chunkier, warmer scarves for the cold climate folks, pretty lightweight scarves for the warm climate folks, and camouflage scarves for all of my little nephews. I collect books all year from library book sales and used book stores for those who I can't see getting much use out of a scarf. I'll also be making biscotti and putting it in pretty cellophane bags to send to all of my college-and-grad-school aged siblings who will need holiday goodies/snacks for finals week:D

-Large container of homemade cocoa mix

-Soaps from a kit

-Homemade vanilla

-Rice bags

-Recipe book with recipes of favorite restaurant foods from Kopy Kat recipes online

-Christmas tree ornaments (clear glass ones with glitter acrylic paint the kids poured inside.

-Cookie mix in a jar (tons of bread, soup and cookie recipes for this kind of thing.)

-Fire starters (egg carton, dryer lint and melted candle wax.)

-Coasters (Stamped pictures with permanent ink onto stone-like wall tiles found at home improvement stores. adhered cork sheets to the backs.)

We made jars of vanilla sugar. We got a bundle of beans on ebay (about $25 and we have lots left still). If you can get some different shades of sugar and sort of layer them randomly, it's really pretty in the jar. We got some different sugars (raw and demarara from our Amish store) and they were shades of tan. Folks semed to like them and it was cheap when I bought in bulk.

The instructions are here:

http://www.ymib.com/daily-inspiration/creative-living/articles/make-it-water-bottle-carrier.html

We found material on sale at Hobby Lobby and used their coupon for the insulating stuff inside as well as the woven ribbon for the handles. People seemed to like them. I've seen several using theirs on trips.

This year I'm thinking about fabric headbands for the girls (maybe scrunchies too).

I'm also playing around with the idea of making fabric car trash sacks.

In years past I have done various gifts in a jar. Vanilla and vanilla sugar have always been well received. So have "sandart" brownies and hot cocoa mix. Spiced tea is a good thing too. Last year, I did bath salts and scented them peppermint for Christmas. For Mother's Day, I scented them rose.

A couple years ago, I made square pot holders to include in the gifts in a jar. The year before that, I made placemats.

Several years ago, my neighbor took clear plastic "fillable" christmas balls and filled them with shredded gold paper. She gave these as gifts. Another year, she took scraps of cloth and pushed them into styrofoam balls to make a "quilted look" Christmas ball.

Vanilla is always well recieved and used by our families.

Please post recipes everyone.

Vanilla is so simple.

Big bottle of cheap vodka

5-9 vanilla beans (scrape open the split)

Pop into bottle and store in a dark place for weeks. Turn occasionally to check it for darkness or just fun.

Rebottle in small containers and pop a cute label on them.

What about calendars made with your own pictures to personalize each for each person? You can use different themes for each person and pick pics pertaining to each of them.

Also, mouse pads made from pictures.

Our neighbors made ornaments--clear glass balls and then took a picture of that person, dog, etc and hung it in the ornament and then trimmed it with ribbon and gold. Very very cute and we hang them every year!