Menu

The decision has been made: We are going to homeschool for high school...

May I admit that I have mixed feelings?

In many ways, I would be very happy to hand over ds's education to someone/something else. I've worked part-time since ds was born and when he turned 12, I had to increase my work hours to 30hrs/wk (from home) in order to provide health benefits for our family. The juggle is tiring and barely worth the pay off at this point (raging puberty here :ack2:). OTOH, I'm excited to be able to orchestrate ds's high school education, including allowing him the freedom to explore what interests him most. It will certainly be much better than the public schools can provide and it will be less expensive than the private schools.

The good thing is that I have made it clear to ds that I am only willing to teach math and literature in 9th grade, everything else will be outsourced, and he will be expected to start at the community college in 10th grade (it's free). Dh has made it clear to ds that this is ds's choice (not to attend high school) and ds must be willing to take outsourced classes in 9th grade and start at cc in 10th. Ds has agreed, though not enthusiastically. He would much prefer that I teach all subjects at home - don't ask me why.

I don't know what I would do without these boards. They are a wealth of information, a constant source of support and encouragement, and a safe place for me to share the ups and downs of 24/7 time with ds. A huge thank you to SWB and those of you who share the journey with me.

:grouphug:

That's exciting! I LOVE teaching high school. The road is sometimes still bumpy, but I think, at least for girls, the hormones level out a bit. My dd loves her outsourced classes, hopefully your son will change his mind.

I know how you must feel about working though. I only work 15 hrs a week and that really cuts into my time and stress level.

I don't know what I would do without these boards. They are a wealth of information, a constant source of support and encouragement, and a safe place for me to share the ups and downs of 24/7 time with ds. A huge thank you to SWB and those of you who share the journey with me.

Ditto! These boards are wonderful. :) Best of luck to you - homeschooling through high school is well worth it.

I'm so happy for you all!!! It should be a great experience for everyone!!! And Sue you feel honored that your ds wants you to teach him, I still fight mine sometimes, lol. We will be making the same decision sometime in January although if it were up to me alone I'd say bring it on!!!:auto:

May I admit that I have mixed feelings?

In many ways, I would be very happy to hand over ds's education to someone/something else. I've worked part-time since ds was born and when he turned 12, I had to increase my work hours to 30hrs/wk (from home) in order to provide health benefits for our family. The juggle is tiring and barely worth the pay off at this point (raging puberty here :ack2:). OTOH, I'm excited to be able to orchestrate ds's high school education, including allowing him the freedom to explore what interests him most. It will certainly be much better than the public schools can provide and it will be less expensive than the private schools.

The good thing is that I have made it clear to ds that I am only willing to teach math and literature in 9th grade, everything else will be outsourced, and he will be expected to start at the community college in 10th grade (it's free). Dh has made it clear to ds that this is ds's choice (not to attend high school) and ds must be willing to take outsourced classes in 9th grade and start at cc in 10th. Ds has agreed, though not enthusiastically. He would much prefer that I teach all subjects at home - don't ask me why.

:hurray:

Welcome to the world of hsing a boy for high school. I was in your place last winter/spring, trying to make a decision. My son is my last student at home & I was just feeling tired, really really tired. In the end, his need for a one-on-one approach continues because of his dyslexia & dysgraphia; he is not ready for a full day, every day classroom. So, I took a deep breath, realized that I'm making a 4 year commitment, and decided to plunge in.

So far, I've had a pleasant surprise. My son is growing up & beginning to gain confidence in his abilities. He is responding to direction better than ever before. And I think we're getting past the negativity of early adolescence. Having been through adolescence before with two girls, I'm expecting that next push toward independence in another 2-3 years, but for now, I'm thrilled that we seem to be getting into a good groove to set the tone for the high school years!

I started homeschooling with a 9th grade ds and a K'er dd. If I can do it, anyone can. He's a freshman at a great college now--and knows how to self-schedule, because I couldn't hold his hand the whole way thru.

It's an adventure, and I would do some things differently, but I think the best part for me is knowing he got thru his teenage years with his morals intact, his ideals high and his self-esteem undamaged. Oh, and he did pretty well academically, too.;)

Welcome to the Club.

Yea, Sue! :hurray:

Despite those hormones and teen boy attitudes, deep down those boys really DO want to -- and NEED to -- know we love them and encourage them through tangible things like the one-on-one time that homeschooling allows for.

We're all supporting you here -- and have a GREAT time doing LLftLotR, and make some great memories together! ;)

Hugs, Lori D.

I know the hardest part for me is still making that decision! I think I know which way one week, then the pendulum swings and I feel completely like sending them the other week! It is psychotic and I feel for ds - who really wants to stay at home.

Praises to you for finally making the decision - now would you pray for us! thanks and congratulations!

And Sue you feel honored that your ds wants you to teach him, I still fight mine sometimes, lol.

Oh, we still fight plenty. I just remembered my 'look at the weeding you will have the pleasure of doing if you fight me' discussions from several years back. I need to dust it off and use it again these days. I guess I should feel honored that he wants to continue. :confused:

It is psychotic and I feel for ds - who really wants to stay at home.

Praises to you for finally making the decision - now would you pray for us! thanks and congratulations!

It was psychotic. I'll admit that it is nice to be able to focus my energy on what needs to be done instead of which way to go. Dh thought I was nuts to expend energy on a path that ds was adamantly opposed to (brick & mortar high school). Best wishes with your decision.

Congrats on making that decision. With our oldest in 8th, we've been wrestling with next year's plans as well. After lots of prayer and discussion we're leaning towards keep her home also. Like you, I have mixed feelings about it.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with mixed feelings and that they are normal.

Edited by Sue in St Pete