Menu

bed rest

I am currently on bed rest due to a condition called Placenta Previa. I am 17 weeks pregnant and wondering how those of you who have been on bed rest dealt with your dc. I am hoping to get some advice on how to get organized and not fall too behind in school.

Also, f any of you experience with this condition would love to hear from you. I have been very worried about the baby and hearing other people's experience would be helpful. Thank everyone.

Danielle

((((((((hugs)))))) to you.

I've been on bedrest before, and I know how hard it is.

I didn't have any other children at the time, so I don't have direct experience with it, but my immediate thoughts were to enlist the help of your children. Have them help out whenever possible, with all things. It might help them to feel less worried about you and the baby, if they can help you.

Sending good thoughts your way.

I didn't have placenta previa, but I have been on bedrest 4 out of 5 pregnancies. It is miserable. I would suggest setting up shop right next to your bed (or the sofa) or wherever you will be hanging out for the day. I made separate baskets for each of the kids and their curriculum with all the materials they would need (to include pencil, paper, crayons, etc). If you have the room to set up a table for your little ones to work, next to where you will be I would definitely do that, too. That way you don't have to send them somewhere you can't see to do any independent work they may have. It can be done. It just takes a little organization.

Make sure you follow your doctors orders. I know placenta previa is a big deal. The more weight and pressure on the uterus.....the more likely for preterm labor. Try to keep that little one in there as long as possible. I only say that because the first time I was on bedrest I thought I'd be fine to do things as long as I took it easy. I was VERY wrong and ended up with complications because I'm hard headed.

Anyway, I will keep you and your one in my prayers.

Blessings,

Andrea

You are in my prayers. Bedrest for months is a drag... That being said, you can do it. Remember it's the best you can give your little one right now and no one else can do it. Dole out whatever help you need for the others. Keep everything next to you that you want to grab and eat on your side. You'll need bendy straws. Probably enough for everyone :). It's a great time to read to each other, watch movies, have the kids make up skits...okay and do some math. I would keep up with what you can and not worry about the rest. Can friends bring in food? Go shopping for you? Having Mom down makes the Daddy anxious. Keep us posted.

I spent the spring and early summer on bedrest with my youngest dd for preterm labor. It was a miserable experience. :tongue_smilie: My kids are a bit older than yours, and they ended up with a crash course in home-ec. We concentrated on maintaining the essentials: kitchen, bath, and laundry. At times, I'd sit in the kitchen with my feet up giving directions on how to cook. Dh asked me to try to keep dinner going, and he and the kids would handle everything else. He actually ended up cooking dinner most of the time anyway.

Schoolwork was a bit more problematic. It wasn't a stellar year. Looking back, I wished we'd pared down to the essentials. For us that's math, Latin, and English. History and science were pretty much dropped and we'd have been better off if I'd planned on going simple with videos and books from the library. On the otherhand, there's nothing like sitting and thinking for 4 months. I revamped our curriculum, and reorganized our homeschool. This year is starting off as one of our best yet. :D

Ds 6 had the hardest time dealing with Mommy on bedrest at first. He simply didn't understand why I couldn't get up and make him a snack. By the end, he'd adjusted and became a siren everytime I stood up. :lol: The kids were great at helping me stay down. Because of my dh, children, and friends, DD and I made it to 38 weeks before she was born. She had no complications and the best apgar of the lot. :party:

Best of luck!

You and the baby first. Everything else second.

1. Even if you did NOTHING for homeschool until this baby was born, your children would still learn.

2. I don't know what kind of a program you regularly use, but like others said, gather all your stuff in your room, set up card tables and chairs for the kids and let them work with you.

3. Concentrate on read-alouds, audiobooks, videos, workbook work that kids can do independently, etc. Make "life skills" a big part of your year. Your kids are going to learn a lot about independent living.

4. Let your dh parent the kids when he's home. Don't try to run things from your bed when he's home; let HIM do the parenting, housekeeping, etc. He is perfectly capable and so are your kids. My big issue was that if my dh parented differently than I did, the kids would feel unloved. WRONG. My interference was the only thing that made life difficult. The kids just rolled with the punches otherwise.

5. Take all offers for help.

6. Allow yourself rest time with no one else in the room, if possible.

7. Follow the doctors' orders.

I had full on placenta previa with my fourth. I took it seriously, went to bed and stayed there. I had no issues at all and my daughter was fine. Rest. You'll have years and years of active living soon enough.

My heart is with you. It's so hard to be on best rest when you're a mom.

:grouphug: to you and your family! JennifersLost is so right when she says you and the baby first, everybody else second! Take that great advice and run with it! Ok, just kidding - don't run with it, sit still with it, ha ha!

I had "co op induced bedrest" - the grandson of the co op director I belonged to (at the time) was a wild brat and punched me in my very pregnant stomach and laughed. He was 6. I felt the baby compress against my spine that's how hard he hit me. He was known for hitting but had never hit an adult. I had preterm labor and a 5 yob and 2yog. It was awful b/c they didn't understand why mom was "hurt" and DH didn't take bedrest seriously - he thought I could still be up and cooking, laundry,errands, etc. I'm a people pleaser so it was hard all around. We made it thru but I wish I would have stayed on the sofa more. Oh, and I never got and a[pology from that kid or his parents. They gave him a snack instead like they always did when he acted up.

I agree with EVERYTHING Jennifer said, especially taking all offers of help. I was on complete bed rest from 17 to 37 weeks with my twins, due to cervical funneling.

I will also say that you should investigate whatever kind of activity/PT your doctor feels would be appropriate for you. I floated in a therapy pool and did PT exercises lying down, and my body still atrophied to the point that my daily life was physically difficult for a couple of years after my (6 1/2 lbs each, full term) boys were born.

The education part is fairly easily modified, but the physical/emotional part of it needs to be addressed and supported.

I will also say that you should investigate whatever kind of activity/PT your doctor feels would be appropriate for you.

Yes, yes, yes! I was only on bed rest for a month and it was very difficult to recover physically from it. I wish I had done so much more to keep my body from falling apart then.

I had placenta previa with my first. He was born at 36 weeks and is now a healthy 10 year old. I was on bedrest for about 3 weeks. Do take it seriously and stay in the bed or on the couch and follow doctors orders. I was worried sick during the pregnancy and did have to have a C-section, butl like I said he is now a healthy, active (to say the least) 10 year old. I will say a prayer for you.

It will be a long haul, but you can do it! :grouphug:

Take care of yourself and your baby! Stay in bed! I had placenta privia, and it is very serious, don't take chances yourself or for your baby. Did your doctor give any hope that the placenta might move "up"? (I was diagnosed at 20 weeks.) No cooking, cleaning, lifting or anything out of bed. Let someone else do everything. Accept help offered from friends and/or family. You need this time for your baby. If you start to bleed it is an EMERGENCY.

Cut down your expectations for school for the kids. Do the essentials while you stay in bed. You have already received great advice here!

After so long on bed rest it took me months to recover my strength; you will need some help. You just won't have the same physical strength and will tire easily after your baby is born since your muscles will be weakened from so much inactivity. I'm sorry, I don't want to discourage you. But you need help, now and probably later, too.

My MIL (LOVE HER) and FIL moved into our home for a few months to help. They brought me my meals in bed, cared for the children, laundry, pets, everything! My dh did a lot too, but he was gone at work all day, and limited as to how much he was there to help. But he releaved his parents when he was home. It was very difficult to turn over control. I remember feeling left out of family life. If you find yourself feeling that way remember you are still a very valuable member of the family and that your job is staying alive and taking care of that baby. :)

One day when everyone was out, I couldn't resist and :thumbdown: (couldn't find a smiley for "dumb"), I got out of bed and walked into the kitchen. Unfortunately that caused me to bleed and I was rushed to the hospital and spent the next two weeks in a hospital bed. When the bleeding began again, I was rushed into surgery. My ds was born 5 weeks early, and was on a ventilator for 10 days. The staff gave us great care! He is healthy with no problems.

I do hope you can find someone, perhaps a relative, to stay with you and your family until this is over.

May God take care of you and give you the strength and resolve you need. May he bring you good friends and family to help and encourage you!

to prevent atrophy - there is not a lot to be done that will not be harmful to that dear baby. I have done about 9 months of bedrest if you total all my pregnancies. I had 3 children when I was on my last bedrest. I hired someone to come in each morning to watch the children and help with lunch (DH did dinner). I did school with the children who were being schooled at that time. Then when she left the youngest napped all afternoon until hubby got home.

I know that money may be tight, but my parents helped with the money. Well spent. Or ask if your church might have someone who would be willing to help. Or your homeschool group. Mornings will be key for having help.

You need to stay DOWN! My doc told me after my 4th was born that my adherence to her advice to do strict bedrest was rare - that most women just did what they thought was right and ended up with complications. I told her that I was not decicated but scared of the lifelong complications for my baby. I look at my beautiful daughter now and am so glad that she is FINE (born 4 weeks early at barely 5 lbs). Keep the long term in sight - use who ever and what ever you need to get by with your other children - they will be fine - even if they are behind it is a SMALL price to pay.

As for getting in shape post baby - it can be done slowly, even within the first year if you are highly motivated. I was not - and am in GREAT shape now notwithstanding! Eat healthy now so that you have good nutrition going for you later - also a good habit for later.

Wish I lived close by - I would help. I want to start a ministry for bedrest moms someday - such a worthy cause!

I shall be praying for you and yours. ACCEPT any and all help.

My best friend had placenta previa with her first. It was obviously not complete as it did move and she was not on bed rest. She did however have a c-sect at 38 weeks which had been booked at 20 weeks due to her condition. By the time she was 38 weeks she was told it had moved enough to try for a natural birth but due to her husbands work situation they elected to stick with the c-sect.

If you have not had a c-sect before i suggest you research about them and make sure your c-sect goes the way you want.

For my friend it was a VERY traumatic experience, her DD did not do well and stopped breathing on day 4 owing to mucous build up in the airways which was not suctioned enough at birth. She was in NICU for 7 days following and never ever breast fed, even in her first 4 days. Dr's told her this is a condition that effects 5% of c-sect babies. I am NOT suggesting for a minute that this will happen to your bub, i am just highlighting how underprepared my friend was with information when she knew she was going to have a c-sect all along.

I would stick with the advice given by your doctor and as PP said if you start bleeding at all call an ambulance, it is a big emergency!

Please ask your doc to follow American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations to test for and treat Vitamin D deficiency.

85% of americans are deficient and deficiency in pregnancy might be the underlying cause of autism we've been looking for. D deficiency definitely associated with LD's, higher cancer rates, bone issues, mental health issues and autoimmune disorders, gestational diabetes, lower respiratory tract infection of the newborn, 'idiopathic' heart disease etc etc.....

It's an easy blood test. Results from Quest lab run low. If your doc/hospital uses Quest, divide the result by 1.3 to get an accurate number. LabCorp uses the gold standard in testing and has reliable results. ZRT offers a good home test that's $40 a pop from grassrootshealth.org or $65 from vitamindcouncil.org

All the best to you:)

Katherine

so much for your words. I was so worried and even a bit depressed but am feeling much better. Aside from hating the bed it seems that the rest has helped. I am no longer feeling any soreness, although I am tired at times. I have found bathing to be a bit of a work out and Dh as been great, doing it all. He even made lazanga with my instructions for the first time and it came out pretty good.

To answer some of your questions... I am seeing a very good Dr. who often works with Americans living abroad. She has given me a diet to follow and has run all the labs that I remember getting in the US during previous pregnancies. I am scheduled for another U/S at the end of the month and she has suggested that the placenta may correct itself. Se seems optimistic, but it is just scary to think that something could happen to the little one. The Dr. has been adamant about me doing no exorcise at all, and I am following her advice. Some restrictions may be lifted after my next U/S but she has been clear in saying that I will have to have a relaxed pregnancy either way.

i love the ideas you have all provided. t just so happens that we were able borrow some small individual folding tables, which seem to work well. And yes the boys are getting a crash coarse in home ec. Helping dad with the laundry, sweeping, and even cleaning ceiling corners this week. They have really been great. Thanks again t al f you for your prayers and advice.

Danielle

I don't exactly have ideas, just encouragement. I have dealt with chronic, disabling illness for much of the time my kids have been homeschooled. I want desperately to provide them with the best classical education possible, but there are days on end where we just don't get to it because Mom is in bed. On those days, we read, watch videos (sometimes they're even educational, ha!), and whatever else we can manage. For years it drove me crazy with worry and guilt, but years later they are doing just great, academically and otherwise.

Please spend your time taking perfect care of yourself and your baby and know that everything and everyone else will be just fine.