Menu

So I almost dropped FLL altogether...

Lovedtodeath

DD was sick of nouns, then she was sick of pronouns. She hates repetition. I decided to stick with WWE.

Then I read some posts where people used FLL for writing and grammar. No WWE and they were fine. Also, DD seems too advanced for WWE 1. Add to that the fact that the memorization of the grammar lists is always raved about and the FLL 1/2 audio is recommended if you start with FLL 3.

So I picked FLL back up and went to the very last pronoun lesson that I could find (the one with a full list). I put the FLL audio CD in and we learned the song. That was 3 days ago. DD loves the song and is so proud.

So we are switching from WWE to FLL instead of trying to do both or stick to WWE alone. I will be changing my sig. ;) Oh, and I will be sticking to it too. I know, unusual for me, but I am learning.:tongue_smilie:

FLL is actually one of the books that we are loving this year. My ds 6 is a little sick of nouns also but the lessons are so short I don't think he really cares. I love it when our english lesson takes 5 minutes. He's done well with memorization of poems.

I have thought about skipping ahead but I think I'll wait until his complaints get louder.

DD was sick of nouns, then she was sick of pronouns. She hates repetition. I decided to stick with WWE.

Then I read some posts where people used FLL for writing and grammar. No WWE and they were fine. Also, DD seems too advanced for WWE 1. Add to that the fact that the memorization of the grammar lists is always raved about and the FLL 1/2 audio is recommended if you start with FLL 3.

So I picked FLL back up and went to the very last pronoun lesson that I could find (the one with a full list). I put the FLL audio CD in and we learned the song. That was 3 days ago. DD loves the song and is so proud.

So we are switching from WWE to FLL instead of trying to do both or stick to WWE alone. I will be changing my sig. ;) Oh, and I will be sticking to it too. I know, unusual for me, but I am learning.:tongue_smilie:

Can you tell me which parts of speech have songs on the CD? I never really looked at this but now I'm interested.

Do feel free to use both but adapt them to your needs. "Telescope" the FLL lessons down so your dd is learning the material but isn't frustrated by the repetition. The way I used to do this was to skim through the next few lessons and see what was covered. I might even just jot down quick notes. It's not necessary to read every word of the scripted lessons. Quickly review old material, and go on to knew. If you cover 5-6 lessons in a day, that's *okay*.

Personally, I would not drop WWE either. But I might also combine lessons or ask more of my child than what is required in an individual lesson, if she were placed in the wrong level. For instance, if it says "Have your child retell the selection in two sentences. Write them down so that she can see them," I will continue on to have dd copy her narration. (I can't remember exactly what is required in WWE1, but I'm sure you can figure out what to do...)

There's not very much writing in FLL, and I wouldn't consider it adequate as a writing program for second grade... But if you're doing history narrations as described in WTM a couple of times a week, then it's probably fine...

Mostly, I'm just encouraging you to use the materials you have, but make them work for you. If they're not challenging enough, go faster and/or require more.

I think that you should probably do the two programs. However, I must admit that I am impressed with FLL. My younger son is using it for fourth grade. I have him in FLL3. We never did the previous ones. He loves it. It was incredibly easy for him, but I wanted him to learn diagramming in an easy format. That's why I pick a simple program to get him acclimated to diagramming.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

We LOVE FLL here. I moved away from it a year ago for my older, but then came RUNNING back! Young children can memorize things so easily. The repetition of FLL definitely will bring big rewards in the futue as your children begin writing, learning a foreign languate (Latin?) and doing work in higher level grammar courses.

Sometimes my youngest son says, "Mom, I already know this!" When he seems tired of working through the same things, I try to make the lesson a little more interesting by chanting the memory work or doing something physically. For example, when asked to list all of the being verbs, I let him shoot baskets for each word.

I also purchased WWE, but haven't used it. I find that we do plenty of copy work and dictation in other areas: grammar, history, science, etc. I think WWE is a great program, but the IEW seems to be a better fit for us.

Enjoy FLL! It's a GREAT gentle introduction to grammar!

Way back when, actually not so many years ago...FLL was all I used with my dd. We enjoyed it. It's also easy to skip ahead in it. (it sounds like that's what you have done already)

You can use bits and pieces of both programs as well. :) We are using just a little of FLL with my first grade ds, and my third grade dd. I also use WWE style for writing and I'm using it for straight copywork for third grade dd occasionally (she's not ready for the dictation so I'm going to wait until later this year and then give her lengthy dictations next year)

It always nice when you make adjustments to suite your child, that's the beauty of homeschooling.

This sounds interesting. I've got a 3rd grader using FLL3 this year and a 5th grader using R&S 5, both having used Shurley previously (with accompanying jingles). Would this be a worthwhile purchase for us?

ETA: I mean the audio companion CD for FLL!

Thanks!

Holly

The audio companion is great!

It has all of the poems and stories. It has a chant and a song for the following parts of speech: Pronouns, State of Being Verbs, Helping Verbs, Conjunctions, Articles, Prepositions.

I was noticing that memorizing the parts of speech was the big thing that everyone raves on FLL about, so I think the audio CD makes the program. We would not have memorized the pronouns in 3 days if it weren't for the song.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have the WWE guide and will probably use it in other subjects still. DD is 2x, so she is usually done with something in half the time even if we didn't finish it. I haven't been consistent but her writing and grammar skills seem to just come naturally. If I do something right for just a couple of days, she takes off. It seems really odd, but for example, we have 2 good days in spelling and she can write a story (she wrote 2 books this week) with no mistakes, applying the rules across the board.

The audio companion is great!

It has all of the poems and stories. It has a chant and a song for the following parts of speech: Pronouns, State of Being Verbs, Helping Verbs, Conjunctions, Articles, Prepositions.

I was noticing that memorizing the parts of speech was the big thing that everyone raves on FLL about, so I think the audio CD makes the program. We would not have memorized the pronouns in 3 days if it weren't for the song.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have the WWE guide and will probably use it in other subjects still. DD is 2x, so she is usually done with something in half the time even if we didn't finish it. I haven't been consistent but her writing and grammar skills seem to just come naturally. If I do something right for just a couple of days, she takes off. It seems really odd, but for example, we have 2 good days in spelling and she can write a story (she wrote 2 books this week) with no mistakes, applying the rules across the board.

Thank you! I just ordered this CD. I looked at it a long time ago, but didn't ever realize it had the parts of speech. I'm so excited!

This sounds interesting. I've got a 3rd grader using FLL3 this year and a 5th grader using R&S 5, both having used Shurley previously (with accompanying jingles). Would this be a worthwhile purchase for us?

ETA: I mean the audio companion CD for FLL!

Thanks!

Holly

Yes, yes, yes if only for the chants alone...