Menu

Okay, what's the deal with liquid fabric softeners?

I normally buy the dryer sheets, but the store was out of them, so I bought the liquid instead. It says to add to the final rinse...how the heck do you catch it when it's at that point? I mean, my washer doesn't stop when it hits the final rinse cycle, and by the time it does, I've already moved on to another task. Do they expect you to stand in front of your washer until it gets to the final rinse? :tongue_smilie:

There has to be some sort of secret I'm missing, right?

Do they expect you to stand in front of your washer until it gets to the final rinse? :tongue_smilie:

Why, yes. That's why it's so hard to use liquid fabric softener if your washer isn't right there where you can hear it when it reaches that point. My washer has always been in the house, right next to the kitchen, so it was easy to use the liquid. Now I have a front loader with a little drawer that I put all laundry products in, and then I can walk away.

There used to be a liquid fabric softener that you could add along with your detergent, but I forget what it's called.

Yes. Even the oldest of washers has a mechanism for automatically dispensing liquid fabric softener. Read your owner's manual.:)

My washer is a 2005 model and has no automatic dispenser. I have to set the timer to add vinegar (this is what I use in place of fabric softener - it is much cheaper and I've had no problems). I even got out my owner's manuel to double check - so not all machines have one.

I am not a big fan of liquid softener because I found it left spots on my clothes sometimes BUT.

BUT

The new downy fancy schmancy line has an almondy something which smelled so divine I nearly crumpled. There is alos one in a dark bottle which I got on my hand when I took the cap of to smell it and I kept smelling it all day. It was really nice.

I would like to buy that stuff and use it ONLY for MY clothes.

or my sheets.

I might do that.

My washer is a 2005 model and has no automatic dispenser. I have to set the timer to add vinegar (this is what I use in place of fabric softener - it is much cheaper and I've had no problems). I even got out my owner's manuel to double check - so not all machines have one.
Every washer I've ever owned (in 32 years) has had one. My current washer is much older than yours. Maybe manufacturers assume most people these days use dryer sheets.

Every washer I've ever owned (in 32 years) has had one. My current washer is much older than yours. Maybe manufacturers assume most people these days use dryer sheets.

Maybe so, but mine doesn't have that automatic feature. I don't use normal detergent and dryer sheets because my skin (and that of my dds) breaks out. I bought a cheap washer / dryer at Lowe's that would do the job needed but without all the extra features. We didn't request it - it was on the showroom floor. I must assume because of this that maybe not everyone has a washer with that feature.

Thanks for the info everyone!

My washer is about 6 years old, and it does have a dispenser, but it's not automatic. It's the same dispenser that I use for bleach, so it'll dump right in there during whatever cycle I put it in (I think that's right....I'm still looking for the owner's manual.)

Great tips, though...I think I'll try that washcloth idea till I run out and can buy some more sheets. I'd finally found a fairly mild-scented softener(Snuggle Jojoba Essence) but I didn't see it in the dryer sheets the last time I went to the store.