Menu

1st Grade Math?? Saxon, Horizons, Singapore, or R&S

pocjets

I'm going with Singapore when my dd starts first grade work. Actually I just made a new thread on what books to buy! We are using Singapore Earlybird right now and will continue to Horizons K (because of dd's age - she can't write yet) then back to SM 1A and 1B. Unless I absolutely love Horizons, we will be doing Singapore for a while. I do supplement Earlybird with Critical Thinking Company Math Reasoning Level A (I LOVE CT math books too!).

We use Singapore Standard Edition and love them. For the EB level we supplemented with Singapore's Essential Math books. With 1A and 1B we are adding Miquon (have not started this yet) and RS game kit for drill practice. We plan to stick with Singapore through the Primary Series and then move on to Chalk Dust most likely.

I think they are all good. Differnt. It totally depends on your child. If you think they will need lots of review and step by step instruction go with Saxon. It really holds your hand. My dd was bored to death so we switched to Singapore. Less review and more advanced. A very good fit for her. Start with something, if it works, stick with it. If they start to hate the subject CHANGE. Don't be affraid to adjust any program to your child. With Saxon. We skipped the parts of the meeting she mastered, only did one side of the work sheet a day and skipped several lessons, because she already knew them. Good luck.

go with the child's learning style. I feel awkward suggesting anything. If you are using a particular program and it is working, then stick with it. I always think that making a math choice is really up to how your child learns. Their learning style should dictate the curriculum.

I have been using Singapore Math for many years. My older son is doing very well with it since it fits his learning style. I am doing Singapore math with my younger son at a slower pace. It is not his learning style so, I have added Family Math and more manipulatives to his math curriculum. He does more Family Math than Singapore Math. The style is difficult for him, but I want him exposed to that type of critical thinking. It is harder for him to get it. So, once is more of a visual learner and can critically think. The other is more kinetics. I am using basically two different math programs.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Singapore 1A moves very quickly. I think it works best if the kids have their addition and subtraction facts within 10 mastered before they start, and facts within 20 mastered before going on to 1B. I've used Singapore in conjunction with AL abacus (old version of Right Start) and Rod and Staff. Or you could find other ways of drilling facts: worksheets, flash cards, games. If Singapore gets too hard, be ready to switch to something else, so they can get their skills solid before moving on.

I think it depends on the child. I tried R&S with my child, who hates worksheets. It was a disaster. Of those, she would be happiest with Singapore, but she is also pretty "mathy." Her cousin, who likes worksheets and needs lots of repetition would probably do best with Saxon or R&S.

My dd used Horizon Math K last year so we continued on with it for first grade. When my ds was in first I used Singapore with Intensive and (lower level) CWP and even some Horizon Math if needed. I know that my dd's gifts aren't as pronounced in Math as her brother's so with her we're really focusing on Math drills (using Moni's flashcard suggestion) and doing some mental math lessons with Horizon Math.

We are using both Singapore and R&S for my 1st and 2nd graders. dh and I have discussed this several times and we have tried both programs separately, but in the end we decided that we want both approaches. So, BOTH programs are primary. My 2nd grader loves singapore and picks up on the concepts very easily, but really needs the drill of R&S. My 1st grader is very mathy and could probably handle just doing Singapore, but he loves the speed drills in R&S, and I think he enjoys doing something that comes easily to him (which I'm sure is a welcome change from the struggles he has in phonics).

Well for pre k we did Horizons K bk 1 and MUS Primer and part of MUS Alpha. Ds decided he liked Horizons best. I didn't like the TM. I really hoped Singapore would work for K but ds just really didn't click with it. He really wanted something colorful. We are about to start Abeka 1st grade math. I really like the looks of the TM and ds is pleased with the pictures and color. He also is doing Critical thinking co's math reasoning level A and he really likes it.

What do you think? I want something that is challenging but just don't know which is the best to go with. I'd like to find something I can stick with for a few years so which do you all think is best?

I like variety and would not be happy using only one curriculum, so I combine.

Here is what my 6yo did last year. He did Saxon 2 for 3 days, and Singapore 1B, IP1B and then 2A for 2 days. Over the summer break he did the CWP 1 (this goes quickly) and then Singapore 2B.

It worked great for him.

Edited by fractalgal

*my* 6yo (see signature) is doing Horizon's and MUS. The Horizon's allows him to move on in topics at his own pace and the MUS allows for conceptual learning and practice, rather than memorization of algorithms. This is a child who has an awesome potential and we want to make sure every base is covered so he can do whatever he wants at whatever level he wants (at this point, his goal is to be like his 15yo big brother who is #6 in his public school high school class).

ETA: I ALWAYS use two (sometimes more!) math programs. My daughter says it's because I like child torture. However, as she finished through Calc II and Stats last year at college, I would say it works pretty well :)

Edited by 2J5M9K