Menu

Going to South Africa for 3 months - curriculum resources to study SA?

Hillcrest Academy

Guest Cindie2dds
I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for resources to study South Africa at a 2nd grade level (my 1st grader will tag along). We're going for 3 months and are dropping our regular curriculum to do an immersion study :D

TIA!

Caryn

Oh, how fun. We went to South Africa in 2002/2003 and absolutely loved it. I wish I could go back. Other than the people, which were amazingly hospitable to strangers and very friendly; I would study the flora and fauna. Their vegetation is completely different than anywhere else in the world. I saw a red grasshopper, baboons in the backyard (up the hill), amazing birds, etc. I can't even do it justice describing it.

The vineyards are absolutely beautiful. We went on several tours, and I mean under the plants, picking grapes, I felt just like a kid.

My husband and I went before we had children, but I can only imagine how amazing it would be to go there with my kids and homeschool there.

I agree about going to the yahoo groups, she can probably give you some great advice about where to start.

Thank you so much for the reminder - I'd forgotten about Hannah's HS helps!

Cindy, I'm South African, and left there when I was 23 so we go back every 5 years or so. This is my first time with elementary age kids, and I want to MILK the experience! LOL! My kids can't wait to see the monkeys who go into my mom's house at least 4 times a year, looking for fruit etc. It's only when she forgets to keep the windows closed when she goes out. The other day she was sitting in the living room when a "little brown face popped around the door" :) Too funny! We can't wait!

It seems to be out of stock at Loot.co.za, but you may be able to find it elsewhere and I highly recommend a book called "All About South Africa" by Brian Barker-Johnson.

There's a limited preview at Google Books. It is probably for older students than grade 2, but has a good overview of various aspects of South Africa (history, wildlife, culture, etc.). We use it as the spine for our history studies.

For study of animals try My first book of Southern African Mammals and this one for birds.

If you don't mind the price, then you can buy a complete literature based curriculum from Footprints on Our Land.

The Little Footprints series is sold for ages 4-8 and uses mostly picture books. Unit studies are built around each book - along the lines of FIAR.

The Footprints on our Land series is for primary school and uses many of the same books I've listed in the files of the Yahoo group that Paige referred to (thanks for the reference!). Most are out of print and the Footprints people have had them re-printed with plain covers. Your mom might be able to find out how many of the books are available at her local library.

You can also look at Bookchat for recommendations on South African children's books.

Hope you have a great trip "home"! Please ask if you need more info.

Edited by Hannah
More info.

Ladies, thank you so much for all the wonderful suggestions :) And Hannah - I am SUCH a fan! :D

I would love to get Footprints on our Land, but don't think I can justify the cost for just 3 months, especially considering how much it's costing us to get there! :ack2:

Wendi, Kearsney College is very near where my mom and brother live, so we plan on stopping by there one day. Their grounds are BEAUTIFUL!

Dawn, I have a blog at http://hillcrestacademy.blogspot.com/ but I have been a horrible blogger. You have inspired me to use it to journal our experience! Perhaps I'll start with the fact that we're leaving one week tomorrow and we still don't have two of the South African passports that we need :ack2:

One of my closest friends is a missionary in Mombassa :)

I would appreciate if you all would keep us in prayer as we wait with baited breath for the passports, and as I make decisions regarding our schooling while we're there.

If anyone can recommend a book on African flora (perfectly fine for it to be more focused by region, rather than the whole continent), I'd also be interested.

If you're looking for adult books there are a few available on Southern African trees and wild flowers at at Amazon.

For children there are colouring books, but I can only find them on our local book site called Loot.co.za

This Wikipedia article lists and links some trees of South Africa. This page has photographs of indigenous plants.

We are moving to Tanzania and we are taking our first trip in Jan. Does anyone know of books, etc. for that area?

I'm not sure what kind of books you're looking for, but I found this list on Amazon. It may be a good starting point.

If you're going to go on a safari, I highly recommend "The Safari Companion" by Richard D. Estes