Menu

Which grammar for a 2nd grader?

Musical Belle

I am trying to decide which grammar to use with my dd, who will be in second grade next year. With ds, I used English for the Thoughtful Child for first and second grade and R&S beginning in third grade. Now dd is in first grade but we haven't done any grammar yet. She is a little slower with language skills than he was (although she is now doing very well with reading and spelling :001_smile:), so I figured we would just start next year.

I had thought about jumping in with R&S 2; has anyone used it? I also considered FLL, and I'm not averse to using EFTC again. I'm open to all suggestions, comments, and experiences!

We've loved FLL, perhaps for it's gentle style... I'm not familiar with EFTC to compare though. I imagine that for the pace your dd needs, FLL would be a great choice.

My oldest dd moved seamlessly from FLL into R&S 3, so they work well together too.

We started with Abeka Language (no no no), and are now so happy with FLL. It's a gentle, repetitive, sit on the couch kind of book. My two younger children love sitting in, especially on the picture narratives. If you are looking for a challenging program, this is not it. If you are looking to set the stage for future language study, then this book is wonderful.

My 2nd grade dd has used Growing with Grammar 1, 2 and will do 3 next year. I love that it's not too rigorous (1page lesson 3 x week.) Dd is capable of reading the instructions and doing it without much help from me, which I like since I help her a lot in the areas of Latin, writing, history, etc...

Our long-term plans are to use Analytical Grammar beginning in 6th grade so I prefer a gentle program now. GWG is a good fit for us.

Good luck!

We've used FLL and R&S. I find R&S for second grade to be pretty repetitive. But we are going to finish the book.We also do most of it orally. I make dd write out maybe one exercise a week or so. Sometimes, we don't do it consistently, and then we do 4 or 5 lessons in a row, all orally (on the same day--). It's so repetitious that you can do that if you need to.

I've used Rod and Staff English for 2nd grade. We did it orally because my oldest just wasn't able to write things out at the time . She forgot most of what I taught her . Sigh.

But I did like the program . I think she just needs to write in the book to make things stick for her .

Abeka actually I like . Very similar to Rod and Staff . But if your looking for a Language ARts program similar to Rod and Staff's but in workbook form then look into Christian Light Education . They use light Units ( similar to Ace school of tomorrow paces ) . But this is more academic like Rod and Staff .

Chris in VA,

We do the same thing. Often, we skip over some of the questions too. If he keeps getting the answers right, we move along.

I think at this age, growing up in a house where sentences are spoken correctly is key to good grammar. Sure, they will not know nouns from verbs without an explanation of these terms, but they will use pronouns like "I" and "me" properly. I have gently corrected their oral skills along the way when they have said things like "Me and Nathan ..."

For my older boys, they did FLL in 1st and 2nd grade and then moved into R&S Grammar 3. This worked out okay, but FLL was really slow when stretched over 2 years. For my youngest son I plan to use all of FLL in 1st grade (many of the lessons were very repetitive and could have been easily dropped), and then use R&S grammar 2 in 2nd grade. I've used R&S grammar 3 through 6 so far. It has built an incredibly strong grammar foundation for my boys so far. I'm very pleased with the program and will continue it through R&S 8.

We started the year with FLL Level 2, then tried other things like workbooks for more practice, teaching from copywork until FINALLY I found something that provided all we wanted and more.

I'll be posting our Weekly Report tomorrow with pictures, including her work from PLL. You can also look at our other weekly reports done lately.

http://triviumacademy.blogspot.com/2008/03/weekly-report-tog2-week-15.html

http://triviumacademy.blogspot.com/2008/02/weekly-report-tog2-week.html

http://triviumacademy.blogspot.com/2008/02/testing-cm-schedule.html

We're using the updated text by Margot Davidson which is considered a Catholic product but there's only 4 references (3 about saints or saint's quotes and 1 poem about Immaculate Mary) out of 164 lessons.

We did not like FLL at all. We do like Abeka and will continue with it. Alot, I think, will depend on YOUR child.

My son likes a workbook format with color (Rod and Staff would not work for him), he is not into the oral sit with mom and listen to her give lessons type of kid. That is another reason FLL is not a good fit.

What do you think your child would prefer?

Workbook? More oral type lessons? Mastery or spiral? Black and white or colorful? Does she prefer to work a bit independently or totally *with* mom?

What do you think your child would prefer? Workbook? More oral type lessons? Mastery or spiral? Black and white or colorful? Does she prefer to work a bit independently or totally *with* mom?

I am so blessed to have an unbelievably easy second child; her entire life she has just gone with the flow. (No kidding; she was my easiest delivery and was sleeping through the night when she was a week old.) I could tell her, "Today in school we are going to eat a hippopotomus," and she would ask, "Where's the fork?" :001_wub: So to her, it's all good!

My ds will be in 5th next year and the plan is that he will be working fairly independently, which will give me more time to work one-on-one with dd. But that's more my choice; she does very well working independently too.

A bit rambly, but does that answer the question?

I think FLL would be a great choice. YOu could go back and cover some of the first grade topics, but there is a great deal of repition in first grade, so you could quickly move through that if she is able and go right into the 2nd grade material.

Peyton asks to do FLL more often than three days per week, so we'll be finishing up here in about a week and starting FLL3. You'll have a lot of wiggle room to cover the 1st and 2nd grade material in only one year.

Hope this is helpful!

My next 2nd grader will use R&S 2 starting that year. I started R&S with my now third grader then decided to try a couple of other things based on high recommendations from others. We are now back with R&S and I wish I had not changed at all. I will do R&S mostly orally with copywork from his readers with my next 2nd grader.