Menu

Arthritis . . . I'm wondering if I'm developing it.

Since August I have had periods of joint pain in my hands and feet. Can you suddenly develop arthritis? I mean I don't remember any symptoms leading up to this. And I don't always have it but when I do it lasts a few days of general malaise and joint pain.

I am otherwise very healthy, exercise daily and we eat a healthy diet.

I hate going to the doctor but I'm considering going to talk with him about these symptoms.

Yes, you can "suddenly" (or so it seems) develop arthritis. There are various types of arthritis, and most of the time the cause is unknown. In my own situation, I finally figured out that food allergies and chemicals in the environment were causing my arthritis; I had gotten quite bad before realizing this, but I seriously doubt that any of the conventional doctors around here would admit that I'm right about the cause.

Yes, those who have celiac problems which is an auto-immune disease that also has arthritic components sometimes. For me with a Sjogrens/Lupus/Rheumatoid mixed type arthritis, special diets have not worked.

I'm sorry that special diets haven't helped you. :( I have two friends with RA diagnoses, though, neither of whom has celiac disease, who have benefited greatly from eliminating gluten from their diets. I've read about numerous others as well.

It depends on what you're wanting from the doctor. If you want prescription pain meds or prescription anti-inflammatory drugs, or you're concerned that you have something serious, or you just want a diagnosis, then you should go to the doctor. Otherwise, I'd save myself the trip and money and try to figure it out myself. I wasted a lot of time and money going to doctors because they would freely hand out meds, but they weren't the least bit interested in true causes and prevention. If you can afford to see a holistic doctor, though, I might go that route.

It depends on what you're wanting from the doctor. If you want prescription pain meds or prescription anti-inflammatory drugs, or you're concerned that you have something serious, or you just want a diagnosis, then you should go to the doctor. Otherwise, I'd save myself the trip and money and try to figure it out myself. I wasted a lot of time and money going to doctors because they would freely hand out meds, but they weren't the least bit interested in true causes and prevention. If you can afford to see a holistic doctor, though, I might go that route.

Whatever my problem is I would want to choose a natural way of treating my symptoms. I guess ultimately I would hope this is a temporary problem but I'm beginning to have a gut feeling that it's not. I'm thinking of keeping a little journal outlining food to see if there's a correlation.

I don't know if you're aware of chemicals in your environment (perfumes, air fresheners, cleaning products, fuels, etc.), but if you are, also keep a journal of exposures to those. I have severe multiple chemical sensitivity, but it took me a while to see how much chemicals were triggering my arthritis and other problems. Some researchers believe that lot of people are being affected similarly even if they aren't aware that chemicals affect them.

Yes, it is possible to develop arthritis suddenly. I would advise you to talk to your doctor. I suffered (and continue to do so) because I decided wrongly that I had arthritis in my knees. They have been painful for many years. Since I know that I have osteoarthritis in my spine, I just assumed I did in my knees as well. However, my current dr did not accept that and insisted on further investigation. It turns out that I do NOT have arthritis in my knees at all! The problem is that my kneecap is pulled too far to the outside, and physical therapy can ease that. I didn't have to accept and live with this pain all these years.

Bottom line, see your doctor.

And I don't always have it but when I do it lasts a few days of general malaise and joint pain.

I hate going to the doctor but I'm considering going to talk with him about these symptoms.

The malaise is a red flag. Everything has to start somewhere, including arthritis, but DJD shouldn't give malaise.

Questions to be ready to answer: Morning stiffness and improves with the day? Swelling? Can't get your rings or shoes on anymore? Rashes? Reddened joints? Family history? Just exactly which joints are involved. All at the same time or "rotating"? What do you mean by malaise?

My sister has rheumatoid arthritis, diagnosed in January. Since then it has only gotten worse, with increasing pain and stiffness -- until a month ago, when she started the McDougall diet, basically an oil-free vegan diet. My sister has also stopped eating wheat and corn.

After 5 days on this diet, she was able to dangle her foot over a chair -- her foot hasn't dangled in years! In just one month's time, her pain and stiffness have lessened dramatically, and she is able to get out of bed much more quickly. She called me the other day to say she can open jars again!

She has also effortlessly dropped a few pounds (wasn't overweight to start with), and feels great. People have commented that they don't know how she lives without dairy, flesh, eggs, wheat, and corn, but she tells them she feels great and has flexible movement again, and that's worth giving up some dietary pleasure. She was also worried about ending up in a wheelchair, but feels confident that she has now found "the cure"!

The malaise is a red flag. Everything has to start somewhere, including arthritis, but DJD shouldn't give malaise.

Questions to be ready to answer: Morning stiffness and improves with the day? Swelling? Can't get your rings or shoes on anymore? Rashes? Reddened joints? Family history? Just exactly which joints are involved. All at the same time or "rotating"? What do you mean by malaise?

You know how you feel like you might be getting sick but you don't really get a full blown sickness.

My hands and feet and elbows are what I notice the most. I have noticed some redness on my knuckles of my hands but not constantly.

I think I'll pay a bit more attention to exactly what hurts in order to discuss this with my dr. What bothers me the most is my hands, followed by my feet, although today my elbows were hurting too.

I have a sister that has lupus. I don't want lupus. I don't actually even want to think about possibly having anything remotely related to that disease.

On Monday I'll make an appointment with my dr. to rule out anything serious.

My sister has rheumatoid arthritis, diagnosed in January. Since then it has only gotten worse, with increasing pain and stiffness -- until a month ago, when she started the McDougall diet, basically an oil-free vegan diet. My sister has also stopped eating wheat and corn.

After 5 days on this diet, she was able to dangle her foot over a chair -- her foot hasn't dangled in years! In just one month's time, her pain and stiffness have lessened dramatically, and she is able to get out of bed much more quickly. She called me the other day to say she can open jars again!

She has also effortlessly dropped a few pounds (wasn't overweight to start with), and feels great. People have commented that they don't know how she lives without dairy, flesh, eggs, wheat, and corn, but she tells them she feels great and has flexible movement again, and that's worth giving up some dietary pleasure. She was also worried about ending up in a wheelchair, but feels confident that she has now found "the cure"!

I haven't heard of Mcdougall's diet. I'll investigate it.

Thanks.

I have terrible arthritis like pains in my wrists and ankles. I went to the doctor and found out I had contracted ROSS RIVER VIRUS. It is a mosquito born virus. I have had the pain for nearly 2 years now. it gets worse every few weeks or so, and then sort of fades away.

Not sure if you have Ross River In America though.

I get achey joints if :

It's a change of season

I drink coffee (more than one cup a week or so)

I eat badly - too much sugar, junk food etc

The solutions are to drink more water, massage my joints if its seasonal, and eat good healthy food, in particular lots of vegetables.

Check out the ideas behind the alkaline diet. Basically, it says a typical diet of white flour, white sugar and meat cause the system to get too acidic, and lots of fruit and vegetables help to alkalise it. I dont take it all too religiously, but I know if I eat the wrong foods, I get feedback from my body pretty quickly.