Menu

How is this different than school?

I was reading a post on here yesterday about a homeschool co-op with 500 people. And the classes had 20 kids in a class (I don't remember exact amount, but it was around 20-21).

Then today on a local homeschool group I am on there is a post about a pre-k class that sounded exactly like public school to me.

My son took a science class at a co-op that was similar to a public school class in that none of the kids (except for my science obsessed child) were paying attention.

How is this different than public/private/parochial school?

Edited by gingersmom

Well, It's not daily and the parents tend to pick and choose classes so there is a lot more control.

This is why I chose a co-op with (what I consider) crazy rules and a demanding amount of involvement for the mom; we can pick and choose and take the best of what they offer, and leave the rest.

And...it's only one day a week! (Well, there's an option for a second day, but it's not required. We go if the kids need math help, but not otherwise.)

I agree on some accounts :-)

My son did a science class with an outside group and it had 20 kids I bet in the class. It was ok. When I picked him up he was happy, said he had fun, but it was such chaos that if felt like a school class to me, lol.

Our area has large co-ops with large classes and yes, they go all day if you want. We haven't done those. To me it seems some people are doing those 2 days a week all day...and not much at home. I think in SOME cases the parent is not teaching at home and using the co-ops as school.

We have chosen to try an art co-op this year for 10 weeks. I have no clue what to expect. it's 3 classes back to back but it gives them access to things that alone would be a pain to schedule and this is one day a week in one location. Will let you know what it feels like next week ;-)

but yes, I personally think some of the larger co-ops feel like school and some people use them as such. but I think most people go to fill in some needs that aren't met at home.

Well, for one thing, the parents aren't required by law to turn their children over to these co-ops. They choose to send their children because they feel that the classes taught there will benefit their children in some way.

Also, the teachers in homeschool co-ops teach what they feel needs to be covered, in a style that they feel works. They actually impart knowledge rather than teaching how to score well on standardized tests.

Just a couple of ideas.

-Robin

Thanks for the clarification. I am joining one co-op it's much smaller just a few families and the classes are most "fun" classes, like art, etc or enrichment for the older kids, like penmenship and Spanish. There are only two classes given and then outdoor games and it's once a week. And parents stay.

The other I saw was a bit overwhelming. And it did run everyday, all day and the classes were large.. I can understand that some kids may not be there all day though.

Well, for one thing, the parents aren't required by law to turn their children over to these co-ops. They choose to send their children because they feel that the classes taught there will benefit their children in some way.

Also, the teachers in homeschool co-ops teach what they feel needs to be covered, in a style that they feel works. They actually impart knowledge rather than teaching how to score well on standardized tests.

Just a couple of ideas.

-Robin

I turned my kids over to public/private school because I thought the classes would benefit them in some way also.

My kids had many teachers that taught what needed to be covered in a style that works. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Because whether it be a public school class of 20 or a co-op of 20 not everyone is going to learn the same way.

My kids had teachers impart knowledge. And then the 3 months before the standarized tests they taught how to take the test.

I turned my kids over to public/private school because I thought the classes would benefit them in some way also.

..."co-op".

In a public/private school, it's the school's way or the highway, usually. A "co-operative" truly is a group effort, and decisions can be made much differently.

I'll give you an example. My little brother was homeschooled largely because his private school, the same one he'd attended for years, started using a new math program for algebra. The teacher was new, the material was unfamiliar (this particular program probably works better if it's used all the way through) and kids were failing right and left. Even kids who were notorious in this little private school for being top students, quick learners.

The parents complained, but there wasn't really anything to do. My parents were spending so much time working with my brother that they eventually decided to cut out the middle man, lol, and just do it full time.

Now, part of the reason I chose to participate in a co-op this year is because I am dismally inadequate in the area of higher math. I heard great things about the teacher my kids would have, and when they started, things looked great.

But after a couple of weeks, the pace (this is a one day a week co-op, with a math help class another day, if needed) was getting to my kids. One of them didn't understand the material, and the other was overwhelmed by trying to get so much instruction in one day (they were using a public school text and trying to go through the week's work in two hours).

The kids were frustrated. I talked to the teacher. She became frustrated, because evidently, my kids weren't alone. She had, as she put it, an entire class of kids who were essentially square pegs, and were having a difficult time fitting into the round hole this program represented.

She took some time to think about it, and suggested a curriculum change. Now, this is a fairly big class, and there was a chance that someone whose child wasn't struggling would have had a problem with it, but she found a homeschool program that fit the co-op set up better, and had fewer weeks scheduled, so that we didn't miss any work.

She's a hero at our house, now. :D

And I've never heard a story like that come from a traditional school experience. I'm sure it happens...but not often.

My point (and I do have one, lol) is that this is truly a co-operative effort between parents. It certainly has a schoolish feel, much of the time, since there are quite a few families, and several classes, but I wouldn't have anything close to the kind of input/relationships with teachers that I have now in a private school. I wouldn't have the option to pick and choose classes to fill in blanks where I'm weak, as a teacher. It would be all or nothing.

::Shrug::

It's not everyone's cup of tea, though, I know.

IMO, it's a good thing that our co-op classes feel like school. Both of my kids attended school before we started HS'ing and I know they miss certain aspects of it. So one day a week, they're taking three classes with other kids, and brushing up on their group interaction skills.

I taught the art classes last year, and having also taught at their previous school, I can say that it had a slightly different feel than teaching at school. The kids were more cooperative and polite, and got along with each other so well. There was a friendly, light-hearted feel to the classes that I never felt while teaching in school.

They get the advantage of meeting other HS'd kids, which is also a good thing. I always think it's so neat to go and see these 100+ kids who are all being taught at home!

Well, homeschooling isn't always done one way. There are different reasons to homeschool. I don't think we need to get into a debate, but homeschooling may look differently in my home than it does in another home. It doesn't really matter if the co-op looks like school. If the parents are happy with it and the kids are happy with it, nothing else matters really.

I used to belong to a big co-op. We didn't have 20 students in a class but there were lots of students there. It was really wonderful. I loved being around lots of homeschoolers and my kids learning and having fun. But then again, classes in school aren't one of the reasons I homeschool, so I'm not bothered by the concept.

We LOVE our Co-op classes. DD8 takes music, P.E., art, lit club and a bug and leaf identifiction class. Music is on Tuesdays. All other classes are on Thursdays. I would never do daily co-op classes or all day classes but I am gratefull for the ones we have. It is a way to get in some social time, fun time and some learning too. I would also not do co-op english, reading or math. I want to teach those myself. But then, our co-op doesn't have those things. They do offer the teens photography, journalism, civics, and other electives which I think is great!